used Ericson (E-36 RH)

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Bgary,

There are still yards out here that allow you to work on your own boat. Port Angeles is one. You just have to live aboard during the work 'cause it's a bit of a haul home. I'm not sure which others at this point but I think Port Townsend is one.

RMX

Member I
I painted that boat. It was originally a medium blue hull and Bill wanted it white. He called it "Interim" because he felt the boat was too race oriented and would soon be replaced but 30 years later...

I guess it grew on him.

Bill left many of his personal touches on board. Going through years of old gear and notes I learned a bit about him. He was right, it does have a tendancy to want to race. This past year we won our non-spin Wednesday nights and were awarded yacht of the year by the competing clubs. Not bad for a 37 year vessel. We have renamed her "LUCIA", after my aunt who was an avid sailor and passed just before we took her out of the mud in the Potomac. She is much more suited to the Long Island Sound.

Stick, you have an open invitation to sail if up in our area. It would be a blast and real treat to hear some old stories about the boat and her previous owner.

Rod
LUCIA
E36-RH #7

Stick

Bill left many of his personal touches on board. Going through years of old gear and notes I learned a bit about him. He was right, it does have a tendancy to want to race. This past year we won our non-spin Wednesday nights and were awarded yacht of the year by the competing clubs. Not bad for a 37 year vessel. We have renamed her "LUCIA", after my aunt who was an avid sailor and passed just before we took her out of the mud in the Potomac. She is much more suited to the Long Island Sound.

Stick, you have an open invitation to sail if up in our area. It would be a blast and real treat to hear some old stories about the boat and her previous owner.

Rod
LUCIA
E36-RH #7

Thanks Rod. I like "Lucia" much better.

Bill was a good friend and a great client. Stories? Endless.

Bill was head of sales for Blue Cross Ohio but he had a side business. Initially Bill was Great Lakes Sailboats until his son Terry ( my age) joined him. We had our ups and downs like in any business relationship, but I could always count on Bill and I worked to make sure he could count on me. Bill was always proud to be the last boat hauled and the first boat launched. In 1984 he held off on hauling until December 21 and 17 degree weather. He called from Chicago and said he was stuck in meetings for another two days. Understand I had already hauled the fish tugs and the Coast Guard 41. The water was getting rather slushy so I insisted we had to haul. He suggested he would bubble. I don't believe in bubbling. Anyway, I put on a snowmobile suit and drove to Vermilion and motored Interim back to Lorain and my yard. It was a two hour study in how lake ice forms and, while fascinating, one of the stupidest things I have ever done.

RMX

Member I
Thanks Rod. I like "Lucia" much better.

Bill was a good friend and a great client. Stories? Endless.

Bill was head of sales for Blue Cross Ohio but he had a side business. Initially Bill was Great Lakes Sailboats until his son Terry ( my age) joined him. We had our ups and downs like in any business relationship, but I could always count on Bill and I worked to make sure he could count on me. Bill was always proud to be the last boat hauled and the first boat launched. In 1984 he held off on hauling until December 21 and 17 degree weather. He called from Chicago and said he was stuck in meetings for another two days. Understand I had already hauled the fish tugs and the Coast Guard 41. The water was getting rather slushy so I insisted we had to haul. He suggested he would bubble. I don't believe in bubbling. Anyway, I put on a snowmobile suit and drove to Vermilion and motored Interim back to Lorain and my yard. It was a two hour study in how lake ice forms and, while fascinating, one of the stupidest things I have ever done.

I hope to hear the whole story someday. Hauling late must be in the blood. I am usually near the last out here in late November after the yard gives me some grief.

Rod