used Ericson (E-36 RH)

markvone

Sustaining Member
Seth - I have Good news and Sad news

The 36 was my first project when I worked for the factory- did the deck layouts, rating optimization (together w/RH himself), and ran the factory race program on the aluminum prototype("Shotgun) and the 2 production factory race boats ("Rooster Cogburn" in Norcal and "Outlaw" in Socal). Chris Corlett sailed the "Rooster" in SF Bay, and I sailed "Outlaw" down south.S

Hi Seth - You were correct back in 2006. Your old factory E36RH was named OUTLAW (as was your E33RH). It just came up for sale on Craigslist in VIRGINIA:

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/ericson-36-rh-sailboat/6562866357.html

The sad news is the condition, everything is old and original and there is significant water damage to the interior from leaks.

From the seller:
Hull # 5 (of 32 built) Formerly named “Outlaw” Ericson’s factory race boat.

Hull ID# ERY36XX5M81C

The boat has been more or less unused for the last 10 years. The previous owner kept her in a slip on the Bay and enjoyed her for many years, but was relocated to another state for work. He left with the idea that he would return to VA and resume sailing the boat. He did not. That is where most of the maintenance issues with the boat started. Several rainwater leaks over the years have resulted in water damage to the teak interior. There is one delaminated spot on the sole near the mast step. There are several areas of delamination on the cabinet tops and nav station. The headliner has been removed and is not with the boat.

Just thought you would like to know your mind hadn't gone to mush.

Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I actually know a boat wright that could restore that boat to better-than-new condition in his state-of-the-art shop...

Probably take about 80K or a bit more. Worth it for someone wanting that size and pedigree of boat... and planning to keep it and use for at least a decade. No way you could buy that size and quality of boat new nowadays for under about 400K.

Not many customers, tho, even in better times.

Thanks for the link.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Great Thread

I read and re-read this thread and understand about 1/3rd of what was said. I am fairly new to sailing (4 yrs), thank you this was very interesting.

Mark V.
Deltaville is a two day sail, I'm putting this on the sail plan for the summer.

MJS

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Outlaw

Hi Seth - You were correct back in 2006. Your old factory E36RH was named OUTLAW (as was your E33RH). It just came up for sale on Craigslist in VIRGINIA:

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/ericson-36-rh-sailboat/6562866357.html

The sad news is the condition, everything is old and original and there is significant water damage to the interior from leaks.

From the seller:
Hull # 5 (of 32 built) Formerly named “Outlaw” Ericson’s factory race boat.

Hull ID# ERY36XX5M81C

The boat has been more or less unused for the last 10 years. The previous owner kept her in a slip on the Bay and enjoyed her for many years, but was relocated to another state for work. He left with the idea that he would return to VA and resume sailing the boat. He did not. That is where most of the maintenance issues with the boat started. Several rainwater leaks over the years have resulted in water damage to the teak interior. There is one delaminated spot on the sole near the mast step. There are several areas of delamination on the cabinet tops and nav station. The headliner has been removed and is not with the boat.

Just thought you would like to know your mind hadn't gone to mush.

Mark

That makes me :)

Sailsteve

Sad

Sad to see an old girl left to rot like that boat. I suppose that if you gutted the inside boat of all its furnishings and rebuilt a minimal interior, and perhaps a new engine it might make for a speedy club racer. She'd be much lighter but really still couldn't compete against more modern boats. They're great boats but they need attention or they turn into mush.

Stick

Seth, I need your help.

That makes me :)

I am looking at this boat for a possible renovation. I need to pick your brain for details. Was the Ericson 36 deck cored with end-grained balsa or Divinycel? BTW- I am looking at others and there is delamination on decks from 1981 to 1984 examples. Was the hull cored with either balsa or foam above the tri-axial grid? Did they restrict coring to above the waterline? Was the laminating crew more careful with the factory race team boats? Thanks for any answers. Any information will help success on this project.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am looking at this boat for a possible renovation. I need to pick your brain for details. Was the Ericson 36 deck cored with end-grained balsa or Divinycel? BTW- I am looking at others and there is delamination on decks from 1981 to 1984 examples. Was the hull cored with either balsa or foam above the tri-axial grid? Did they restrict coring to above the waterline? Was the laminating crew more careful with the factory race team boats? Thanks for any answers. Any information will help success on this project.

If you click on a name here, you will get an option to send them a private message or send your message to them by email. Not all members check in every week.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Stick,

Seth (and everyone else who has posted to this thread) will get an email from EY.o with the content of your post when a new post is submitted.

I can answer most of your questions.

I believe the deck core is balsa with plywood in areas on high compression. I've only seen wood when I've drilled or filled holes in the deck (and I've looked into a lot of holes all over the deck and cabintop.) I've never seen reference to a foam deck core for any Ericson.

I looked at a lot of E36RHs before I bought mine. Deck core issues (wet core, dry delamination) were common due to all the deck fittings and a general lack of attention to leaks. All the boats also suffered from some degree of interior teak damage due to leaks as well. Typical sources of leaks are hatch plexi and gaskets, opening side ports and fixed portlights, rub rail screw penetration, hull - deck joint lamination not 100% waterproof, mast rainwater draining on sole, stern vent rainwater draining to areas where it can weep into end grain of teak cabinet plywood (engine SW intake area and under icebox/stove/galley storage). The anchor locker area and lid are a common wet core issue on all Ericsons.

The grid and hull are solid glass and very strongly built. I've only seen one E36RH with a hull/keel issue. It had a keel 1 degree off vertical and a single crack in the grid for over 20 years. Don't know why it wasn't fixed when the boat was young and had the incident that caused the damage. I doubt the factory even knew which boats were going to be raced when they built them, so no special lamination, and I don't think they need any. There was an aluminum prototype with a full teak interior, hull #1 and #5 were raced by the factory. Hull #1 went on to cruise all over the SoCal area and participated in many Baja Ha Ha rallies. It looks like hull #5 never got raced or used enough to get updated with any new gear.

From a design, quality and sailing/racing aspect, the E36RH is well worthy of being restored. The major problem I see is the cost of modernization parts vs final value and of amount the labor needed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Which boats are you looking at?

Mark

Stick

That helps, Thanks.

Hi Stick,

Seth (and everyone else who has posted to this thread) will get an email from EY.o with the content of your post when a new post is submitted.

I can answer most of your questions.

I believe the deck core is balsa with plywood in areas on high compression. I've only seen wood when I've drilled or filled holes in the deck (and I've looked into a lot of holes all over the deck and cabintop.) I've never seen reference to a foam deck core for any Ericson.

I looked at a lot of E36RHs before I bought mine. Deck core issues (wet core, dry delamination) were common due to all the deck fittings and a general lack of attention to leaks. All the boats also suffered from some degree of interior teak damage due to leaks as well. Typical sources of leaks are hatch plexi and gaskets, opening side ports and fixed portlights, rub rail screw penetration, hull - deck joint lamination not 100% waterproof, mast rainwater draining on sole, stern vent rainwater draining to areas where it can weep into end grain of teak cabinet plywood (engine SW intake area and under icebox/stove/galley storage). The anchor locker area and lid are a common wet core issue on all Ericsons.

The grid and hull are solid glass and very strongly built. I've only seen one E36RH with a hull/keel issue. It had a keel 1 degree off vertical and a single crack in the grid for over 20 years. Don't know why it wasn't fixed when the boat was young and had the incident that caused the damage. I doubt the factory even knew which boats were going to be raced when they built them, so no special lamination, and I don't think they need any. There was an aluminum prototype with a full teak interior, hull #1 and #5 were raced by the factory. Hull #1 went on to cruise all over the SoCal area and participated in many Baja Ha Ha rallies. It looks like hull #5 never got raced or used enough to get updated with any new gear.

From a design, quality and sailing/racing aspect, the E36RH is well worthy of being restored. The major problem I see is the cost of modernization parts vs final value and of amount the labor needed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Which boats are you looking at?

Mark

Thanks Mark. I had a yard in the Eighties and we did a lot of commissioning for Great Lakes Sailboats, including the 36 for Bill Jansheski. I was crewing for Charlie Britton and Tartan so I had a racer's perspective. I always felt Ericson was a "lifestyle" brand until the 36 where they finally got serious about engineering and performance. I am looking at "Outlaw", Hull #2 I believe. She has original systems and a destroyed interior. Essentially it is a hull kit so I can employ modern systems at will. This is one of those projects where the fundamental design overrides the condition and I can turn the boat into a short handed "Wally" approach with electric winches, a sprit and gennaker and a quadrant driven autopilot. I confess I have never cruised, even while cruising.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tell us about your situation. Do you still have a yard? Is the purpose to win races? Local team ready to go to work?

We all like restoring these marvelous specimens, and your plan would be particularly ambitious for most of us mortals.

Stick

Tell us about your situation. Do you still have a yard? Is the purpose to win races? Local team ready to go to work?

We all like restoring these marvelous specimens, and your plan would be particularly ambitious for most of us mortals.

Retired but I still have a complete wood and metal shop at my home and I goof around with composites still on a daily basis. I have a large enough building to dry it out, repair and refinish it. Our specialty was Imron, but lately I have come to like Interlux's lp. I am assuming the deck is bad, but the liner is out and I can get at it from the interior and not lose the non-skid. It was great to hear no coring in the hull. Some reinforcing with carbon fiber may be appropriate. As far as equipment, there is nothing I don't have access to including a rough terrain crane and complete machine shop. Once you have carefully moved large, heavy objects, you really don't lose that skill set.

Would I prefer to still have the yard? Sure, but all my buildings are currently processing potash for aluminum smelting. My Travelift is at Vermilion Powerboats which is ironic because I spec'ed it for sailboats. The yard was a lot like farming- a huge investment with nominal returns. I had it for ten years and it was great sport but if you don't evolve, you go extinct.

What will I use it for? Sailing fast, battling the elements, grudge matches. I was lucky- my father and I would always head out when everyone else was coming in.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Small World

Stick,

The Jansheski E36RH (Hull #7) just sold in 2016 from the lower Potomac River down near OUTLAW. One of the Ericson brochures with the boat was stamped with the Ericson dealer's info from Vermillion, Ohio. I met the new owner and saw the boat when they came through Annapolis on the way up to CT. The new owner is active on this site.

Outlaw is Hull #5.

Mark

Attachments

• E36RH_7 Orig Brochure.png
    E36RH_7 Orig Brochure.png
    373.9 KB · Views: 161

Stick

I miss Bill.

Stick,

The Jansheski E36RH (Hull #7) just sold in 2016 from the lower Potomac River down near OUTLAW. One of the Ericson brochures with the boat was stamped with the Ericson dealer's info from Vermillion, Ohio. I met the new owner and saw the boat when they came through Annapolis on the way up to CT. The new owner is active on this site.

Outlaw is Hull #5.

Mark

I painted that boat. It was originally a medium blue hull and Bill wanted it white. He called it "Interim" because he felt the boat was too race oriented and would soon be replaced but 30 years later...

I guess it grew on him.