Rendezvous 2011 - June 17-19, Port Townsend, WA

Poulsbo or Pt Townsend?

• Total voters

wurzner

Member III
I suspect there will be room for you. The slips are really wide and we can likely fit three boats across fairly easily. I'll get a list and slip dimensions and do some math for the marina. I'm guessing we will have lots of room. Stay tuned!

TS Farley

Member II
Hi Andrew & Melanie,

I am on a 70' end slip (#1), so there would possibly be room to raft. There may be some exposure to wake at this spot though, so hopefully Shaun will be able to find some more spaces. Thanks Shaun.

Regarding the trip down, those of us coming from north of Victoria such as Nimue and yourselves could clear customs in Roche Harbour. That would obviate the 4pm deadline in Point Hudson as well as reduce the lineup there with the Canadian boats all arriving in one group. Friday Harbour is another possibility for clearing customs but it can get a bit crazy and crowded in there.

The Roche Harbour customs office is open at 8am according to the website, but I thought I'd phone and confirm the hours for June.

Vivian

C.A. Fields

E38 "NIMUE"
Hi Andrew & Melanie,

I am on a 70' end slip (#1), so there would possibly be room to raft. There may be some exposure to wake at this spot though, so hopefully Shaun will be able to find some more spaces. Thanks Shaun.

Regarding the trip down, those of us coming from north of Victoria such as Nimue and yourselves could clear customs in Roche Harbour. That would obviate the 4pm deadline in Point Hudson as well as reduce the lineup there with the Canadian boats all arriving in one group. Friday Harbour is another possibility for clearing customs but it can get a bit crazy and crowded in there.

The Roche Harbour customs office is open at 8am according to the website, but I thought I'd phone and confirm the hours for June.

Vivian

Hi Vivian,
That would make a shorter day for me if I come from Maple Bay and probably Andrew & Melanie coming from Brentwood but will add about an hour to the trip to Port Townsend. That wouldn't be a problem tho as we will have cleared customs at Roche. So that would put us in Roche Harbour Thursday June 16th.
As it stands my slip at Port Hudson is 9B and I am sure there will be room to raft for anyone in need. The more the merrier. :)

TS Farley

Member II
Port Townsend via the San Juans

Yes, going through Roche Harbour could break up the two transit days more evenly. We could overnight on the 16th somewhere further southeast in the San Juans for a closer starting point on the 17th.

It's a thought......:)

kitsband

Much regret my inability to attend the RV 2011 as I had hoped. I would happily have re-routed myself from Oak Bay (BC) to Roche and onward to Port Townsend. I'll be thinking of your journey and the gathering. Michael Hadley, 1973 Ericson 32 Peregrine.

Crichlow

New Members, hopefully coming to Rendezvous

Hi All Ericson sailors. We are 10 years into a 5 year refit and are finally ready to cruise up North. We are coming from Scappoose, OR (Multanomah Channel) located between the Columbia and Willamette Rivers. Relocating the boat to Jerrell's Cove Marina after a summer of cruising. Leaving Memorial Weekend, waiting for a weather window to head out the Columbia Bar to head north. Time and weather permitting, we are planning on attending the rendezvous, (activities, schedules, whom to contact, etc)? Looking forward to displaying our 10 years of upgrades.:egrin:

andrewpenn

Andrew and Melanie Penn
Yes, going through Roche Harbour could break up the two transit days more evenly. We could overnight on the 16th somewhere further southeast in the San Juans for a closer starting point on the 17th.

It's a thought......:)

Vivian and "Nimue" and others from further north

I think Roche would work well. The tides are ebbing past Discovery until noon then will flood into Puget Sound through the afternoon. That would favour a departure from Roche around 8:30 am and into Juan de Fuca after noon, so we may not need leave to leave from any further south than Roche necessarily. Shall we all rendezvous in Roche Thursday? I wonder how late we can arrive there for Customs as I have limited time that day? The alternative is an early start from Sidney, Friday morning, to hit Roche by 8 am but that would be a long day.

Andrew

TS Farley

Member II
Hi Andrew,

Yes, the favourable tides were part of the appeal of the going through the San Juans. My engine is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I phoned US Customs regarding their hours of operation and they said they are open from 8am to 8pm on June 16th. Hopefully that will work out for you. If not, you are welcome to use my slip in Canoe Cove Thursday night to set you up for a short run to Roche the next morning.

We can certainly stay over in Roche on the 16th, it's lovely, or wander down to Garrison Bay or over to Lopez. It all depends on your and CA's schedules. I'm flexible.

Vivian

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
We'll be there...

Meeta and I will be arriving on Saturday afternoon, will be staying at The Swan Inn again, and will be joining you guys for dinner....

We look forward to seeing everyone again this year, and hope that you all have a nice, smooth trip!

//sse

hodo

Member III
Updated Mischief

Well, with a new sailor in the family, a grandson whom haens to live with my son, in PT, it seems gramma Jessie is driving up with my buddies wife on friday eve, so maybe she will bring some Theo Chocaolate if thats acceptable. I think I have most of an apple pie left also. Are you listening Loren?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mmmmm.... Pie!

Heard Ya!
Pie and Chocolate are always welcome.
:)
Good thing that we don't actually have a "real" Ericson to show off, cause we're gonna have to drive up Friday.
What with the house remodel and some major boat projects this spring we have been a bit overwhelmed. (In my case that's just another word for inefficient.)
:rolleyes:

See you there.

Cheers,
Loren

InSync

Member II
Plans have changed - will head to Roche

Our plans have changed and we do not have as much time as originally thought to make our way to Port Townsend. Originally, we were going to take Chas and Judy up on their kind offer of moorage at CFSA in Esquimalt however, due to time constraints this will not work out. Many thanks for the offer!
After viewing some of the other posts it looks like heading down via Roche will also work best for us.
We will be spending the night of June 15 (and the 14th if we're lucky!) in Ganges and then head for Roche on June 16 to clear customs (and maybe take a walk to the mausoleum), departing Roche on June 17 and heading for Port Townsend.

TS Farley

Member II
PT via Roche

Hi InSync,

Great. That makes four boats in Roche on the 16th. I'll be heading over in the morning as well, so we'll see you there.

Vivian

John N.W.Webb

John & Rufus coming on E.29 Curlew

Hi Ladies & Gentlemen,
Rufus (my dog) & I have reserved a spot in berth no. 5 at P.T. & have rather a long way to go , so the idea of calling in to clear customs at Roche Harbour & not going to Esquimalt seems very sensible. I hope that does not offend Chas, as I had originally said I would go there. Another time I hope to visit the Canadian forces sailing club in Esquimalt.
I shall monitor my fuel supply more diligently this year!!
Cheers,
John nww. E29 Curlew.:egrin:

P.S. The boat is kept in Porpoise Bay-- not Porpooise!!

Last edited:

C.A. Fields

E38 "NIMUE"
Roche

Hi Vivian et al.
I will probably try and coordinate my haul out at Westport to take place just before the rendezvous. Looking forward to seeing everyone. All we need now is summer to get here.... :)

C.A. Fields

E38 "NIMUE"
Make that Maple Bay. Out on the 13th, back in on the 14th, 15th to Sidney then to Roche on the 16th. Sounds like a plan. Vivian, I may anchor at Canoe Cove or Tseum and will have my VHF on 16. We can head to Roche together if all works out.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Event Program ?

Ahoy!
Kathy and I always look forward -- a LOT -- to touring other Ericsons!
Is there a general "plan" or a scheduled time period for visits and general Open Boat hours??

Like maybe between 1300 and 1600 on Saturday?

Is there a plan to share horsey-doovers on Saturday afternoon or evening? Pot Luck?

We are getting a little too mature (now there's a word!) to participate in the weather pattern we used to describe as a "liquor front engulfing the fleet", thirty years ago and more... but a wee drop would not go amiss! ( We can bring along our ship's bottle of medicinal rum.)
:cool:

It might be good to publish a schedule, and include some guest-sailing time on Sunday am, which IIRC was done in the past.

Or has this been mentioned and I just overlooked it in this long thread?

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvous Port Townsend USA Father's Day Weekend

I do not know who is running the show this year or what prizes have been donated . A Canadian usually does this when its our side and a yankee when in USA. But, I did put the $50.00 down on the Marina Room and reserve it for two hours (18:00-20:00) If it is required for an additional hour we can still book it an hour earlier or an hour later later, we (the Ericson group) are responsible as usual for the set up and the clean up. See you Saturday about noon , Second Star E 28: Hilda Harris E28; and Eden E 30+ are leaving for Port Angeles on the 16th, 11:00 then on to Squim after customs in Port Angels, Leaving Squim the next day fo Port Townsend

Chas and Judi Eden E 30+ *720

wurzner

Member III
Plans for the Event

Hi Chas and All,

I guess I'm the closest to the "organizer" so to speak. That being said, I said up front that I didnt' want to be but became the defacto organizer since we weren't even making ground on picking a spot. With that in mind, we do need a plan and I agree with what was mentioned. I just determined that at least two boats (sorcerer and slap-shot) will be arriving around 1PM since we can't show up earlier. Maybe we plan a 1:30-3:00 sail off port townsend followed by open boats/refreshment periond between 4:00-5:00. Then do the pot luck from 5:30 to 7 up in the common room?

I have spent 2.5 out of the last 4 weeks in Germany and Canada and so my time up to this point has been scarce (plus starting a new job monday!). That beign said, I was more concerned with logistics than obtainign sponsorship since it was hard to ask for sponsors not knowing how many were showing up.

At this point, we have around 13 boats attending plus room for many more to raft up (my rails is open for anyone who does not have a reservation. The weather looks good and I am definately looking forward to the event. I will bring either a salad or appetizer to the pot luck, but will have provisions to change on short notice if need be.

Great showing of our friends north of the border; I'm surprised not one opted to try and arrange clearing in Port Townsend. Have a great day and feel free to email me online or directly. The proposal above is strictly that so please respond back if that sounds reasonable. We can publish a firm adjenda based on feedback over the next day.

cheers!
Shaun