Thelonious II Completes Second Hawaii Cruise (Tracking Link)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
"Sails struck and gaskets on. Finished with engine. No damage or injury."

Woohoo! welcome home...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jimmy said it well...

"Follow in my wake, you've not that much at stake
For I have plowed the seas, and smoothed the troubled waters
Come along let's have some fun, the hard work has been done
We'll barrel roll into the sun, just for starters …"

Welcome home!

Time for a bowl of Barometer Soup!
:egrin:

fool

Member III
Welcome home. We've been anticipating your return and have a 'zillion questions to ask. Mom want's you to autograph her book that she was supposed to give me for x-mas. But I think Loren is right. Barometer soup should be on your menu. I found this recipe on the interweb:

Recipe for Barometer Soup:
3 - Cases of cold Corona
3 - Lemons or Limes
5 - Dozen Clams (Little Necks)
5 - Dozen Shrimp (Preferably barbecued Cajun style)
1- Boat (size and shape does not matter)
1- Large body of water (Preferably salt)
1- CD Player with extra batteries and plenty of Buffett discs

Mix together under direct sunlight at about 80 degrees F for about 12
hours with a couple of friends. Add more Corona as needed or substitute
gin.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Welcome home!

So glad you sailed back without too much trouble. Would checkup on you every morning with my cup of coffee. Hope you have more videos for us to see.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, definitely not alone with forum correspondents. Always a nagging idea that if you screw up you'll have to explain it to a bunch of knowledgeable people, who could point you to a half-dozen threads warning about that very issue.

But there is no thread about how I can't walk straight yet. I am still reaching for handholds, even crossing the kitchen, which makes everybody laugh. Walking this morning I was going utility pole to fence post, subconsciously judging whether this was the time to make the move across the open space. Kept thinking, "not clipped in!". Very weird and uncomfortable.

Overall the project to Oahu and return was characterized by unreliable winds. It would blow and then stop. No storms. Heavy cloud cover outbound for weeks, but a good moon and stars the rest. The North Pacific High, which permitted me to turn for home at my latitude of 34n, also sort of followed me, so I was in its light-air zone for much longer than if sailing over the top. The Grib files were very accurate, however, so you knew what was in store.

The transit times on the 32-3 were 20 days out and 28 back (I had to go to 41n). On the 38 it was 18 out and 22 back. Winds were strong in 2014, much less reliable this year. The bigger boat gained very little, the quick return is almost entirely result of routing.

The Universal M40 diesel utterly defeated all my careful fuel monitoring with a burn that defied expectations at something like .5 gallons/hour at 1700 rpms, which yields 5-6 knots in smooth water on my boat. I calculated for .75/gallon, and had to repeatedly sound the tank, which doesn't help because of course it is narrower at bottom than top, therefore casting all revisions in doubt. I can;t tell you how puzzling this was in trying to extend motoring possibilities out two weeks, keeping a reserve for battery charging and charting daily runs according to likely winds.

I motored for roughly 150 hours out and back combined, about 750 nm. I carried 75 gallons, 55 in the tank and 20 in deck jugs.

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Nicely done Christain! Can you keep posting to your voyage map page for a few days? I looked forward to checking in on your progress and comments each day. Now what!?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Followed your daily updates and lived vicariously through every word and dot on the chart. Welcome back and well done!

Kevin

Congratulations on your voyage Christian. In retrospect, do you have a preference between 38 and the 32-3 for this type of trip (by that I mean: solo, nonstop, roughly 20-30 days, varying weather).

Where to next?

Cheers,
Kevin

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
With a crew, definitely the 38. It's a long cruise and a little more space for gear and privacy is valuable. But there's not much more space in the 38.

Singlehanded or a couple, it's a tossup. Bigger rig means more physical load on gear and self. The 32-3 is easier to deal with when things go awry and lines start to flail in the middle of the night in a squall.

Theoretically, the 38 is a knot faster. But in the real world, or at least my real world, the difference in speed is not so straightforward. Both boats get to six knots easily. As a practical matter, going much faster than that at sea means a considerable increase in discomfort. There is not much incentive to exploit the full capabilities of the longer waterline if it means flying off waves and making life below loud and violent, as it is when racing.

It's not an accident that most singlehanders are on boats in the 30-foot, rather than 40-foot range. Some of it is economic, but a lot of it is practical--hull speed being the last thing that matters when making a passage where duration is mostly conditions, not boat.

Both E-boats are relatively tender compared to traditional cruising boats and to contemporary off-the-shelf French yachts. Both sail well with very little sail area, or under jib alone.

I saw, again, lots of cruisers in the full range of boats, from Hunters to teak-heavy Asia boats to converted IOR hulls to brand new Tartans. All of them get the job done when prepared, and I never hear anybody complain about his boat. Who really can compare boats on a given voyage, since we can only be on one?

In the end, the cliche has it right: go with the boat you've got.

?

Merrimist

Hammy, 'Merrimist' E38 in sunny Bda
Fair winds and following seas

Very envious.
Enjoy the voyage wishing you good fishing and safe travels.

Hammy in Sunny Bermuda