SouthWest Gathering

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I just got wind of this gathering at Two Harbors. It would be nice to see all the Vikings together. I'm going to try and head over on Friday if I can and join you guys. for at least the weekend.

Ahoy Brisdon,

Absolutely please join us. The more the merrier! Although I will be coming over on Wednesday, Friday is the day for the beach Bandstand impromptu BBQ / potluck get together. Please, lets just do our own thing food and drink wise and if anyone want's to share we will leave it at that for this first gathering. Preparing major dishes on my little boat can be a bit challenging. Thank you again Glyn for reserving a Bandstand for us to gather at.

Brisdon, what is the name and length of your boat? Where are you coming from? Unfortunately I will be leaving mid morning on Saturday because my two crew mates want to be back early for Mother's Day.

I just talked to Bill he will be arriving on Golden Girl sometime Thursday.

Beam Winds Vikings!

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Friday is the day for the beach Bandstand impromptu BBQ / potluck get together. Please, lets just do our own thing food and drink wise and if anyone want's to share we will leave it at that for this first gathering. Preparing major dishes on my little boat can be a bit challenging. Thank you again Glyn for reserving a Bandstand for us to gather at.

You sure about that? I thought Glyn said Saturday the 9th was the
day.

Martin

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Oh Crap! Some how I got the dates mixed up. I just went back through the Chain of posts and Martin your right, although Sevn said he has to leave on the 9th. I am perfectly willing to stay until the 10th but I don't know if I can talk my crew into it. Sheesh! Anyway, I'll be there from the 6th to the 9th for sure. Thanks Martin for catching that. I should still be able to meet everybody. Bummer.

"The fix is on and we have the bandstand for Saturday May 9, 2009, let the good times roll!! Glyn, E31 hull #55 and temporary ownership of the Isthmus Cove west bandstand."

From Glyn 04-17-2009, 11:29 PM

My Bad!

:esad::scared::eek::headb:

Glyn Judson

Southwest Gathering, yippee!

All, Indeed the reservation is for Saturday the 9th. We plan to depart Marina del Rey Wednesday morning and will be on the lookout for you all. My best guess is that our boat will end up near the end of either Bravo or Charlie row in Isthmus. Watch, now that I've said that we'll get stuck way over on the east side. ; - ) See you all there, Glyn, Marilyn, Golden boy Frank and little Chocolate boy Jack.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
As per your question Jeff, I'm on Edythe, a 35-2. I'm coming out of San Pedro. Probably be in around 1500. Barring any last minute work (which I can't turn down these days) I'll be there.

Sven

Seglare
That was GREAT !

Just got back to Altadena.

17 hours to get back but we powered half the way. 199 NM round trip and only a lost dingy cushion, broken oarlock, still clogged head and lost "door" mat on the damage list.

Thanks for all the participation in the de-re-naming ceremony !

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just got back to Altadena.
17 hours to get back but we powered half the way. 199 NM round trip and only a lost dingy cushion, broken oarlock, still clogged head and lost "door" mat on the damage list.

Thanks for all the participation in the de-re-naming ceremony !
-Sven

Way to go Sven! How 'bout some pictures of the, ah, "ceremony"... and any pics of the gathering that are fit to share!
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
How 'bout some pictures of the, ah, "ceremony"... and any pics of the gathering that are fit to share!
:rolleyes:

How about the one Nancy took of Jeff before any ceremony had even been started !?

-Sven

Attachments

• Jeff pre-festivities.jpg
    Jeff pre-festivities.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 36

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Congratulations on your quick passage back Sven. I am pleased to announce that the only thing we lost was the breakfasts of both my crew members and our mascot, "Splash" on the way over. Regarding that photo, so much for changing the names to protect the innocent. :esad:Well I guess the helmet's out of the bag and I have to admit that is me.

I am so sorry I had to miss Martin & his Wife and their E-31 "Summer Wind". I had two Mama's boys as crew that just had to get back early enough for Mother's Day.

I want to thank Marilyn for marching my young crew member Greg into the General Store and help him get the right motion sickness pills. Both Eddy and Greg took them and had a comfortable passage back. I must say the seas were nothing like the 6 to 9 foot swells like we had when we came over on Wednesday. We left at 10:15 and got into LA Harbor at about 2:30, had to motor the last 5 miles.

Anyway, I am back to work, Yuck!, I will post lot's more incriminating photos when I get the time. Sven, I filmed a video of the ceremony and I will send you a DVD of it as well as all the photos.

Thank you Glyn & Marilyn (E-31), Don (E-26), Sven & Nancy (E-39), Greg, Terri, Jessica, Jennifer (E30+), Sam & John (E32), Michael & Dan (E-35) for all taking the effort to make this a success! In addition to all the ericsonyachts.org boats that made it there were also three other Ericsons including Dan & Judy and their two cats on a (E-39) as well as Skipper Hans and crew on his (E-35), and another (E-27) "Saline Solution". That makes 11 Ericson's that visited Two Harbors last week.

Thank you Glyn, Brisdon, Greg & Sven for the wonderful tours of your beautiful boats. I know some long lasting friendships have been made as the result of this wonderful bonding of Vikings!

Peace Out for now,

Skipper Jeff
:egrin:

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Viking Photos One

Viking Photos One

Attachments

• Vikings1.jpg
    Vikings1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Feast.jpg
    Feast.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 49
  • GlynJeff.jpg
    GlynJeff.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Theladies.jpg
    Theladies.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 3YO.jpg
    3YO.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 55

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Viking Photos Two

Viking Photos Two

Attachments

• DawnTred.jpg
    DawnTred.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 43
  • SentaII.jpg
    SentaII.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Regulas.jpg
    Regulas.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Splash.jpg
    Splash.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Glyn.jpg
    Glyn.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 46

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Viking Photos Three

Viking Photos Three

Attachments

• Brisdon.jpg
    Brisdon.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Cucamonga.jpg
    Cucamonga.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Don.jpg
    Don.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 41
  • SamsBoat.jpg
    SamsBoat.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 41
  • TheLadies2.jpg
    TheLadies2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 42

Meanolddad

Member III
Sounds like most of us had a pleasant trip back. We motorsailed the whole way and made it back in a little less than 4 hours. We made it back in plenty of time for a Mothers Day dinner.
We could not have asked for a better group of sailors to hang out with. It was pretty much non stop action. The de-renaming ceremony and potlucks were great fun.

Thanks to everyone for putting the gathering together and attending.

Greg

Attachments

• Catalina 2009 018.jpg
    Catalina 2009 018.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 45
  • Catalina 2009 031.jpg
    Catalina 2009 031.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Catalina 2009 033.jpg
    Catalina 2009 033.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Catalina 2009 038.jpg
    Catalina 2009 038.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Catalina 2009 041.jpg
    Catalina 2009 041.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 51

Glyn Judson

Southwest Gathering.

Jeff, Thanks to you for spearheading this meeting of the horn-heads, it truly was a wonderful weekend as I'm sure everyone who was there would agree. Marilyn and I had a pleasant twist-ending weekend. At breakfast on Saturday morning I was lamenting the fact that I was going to miss a Guide Dogs of America graduation the next day. My good friend Mark Woolery, a Harbor Patrolman and private pilot there spoke up and offered to fly my guide dog Jack and me back to the mainland followed by a car ride to the school. Well we did just that, I helped Marilyn get the boat in order and stayed with her after dropping the mooring at 0600 Sunday, then transferred to Mark's patrol boat in the fairway and she sailed the Dawn Treader back to Marina del Rey. In the meantime, Mark and I drove to the Catalina Island Airport In The Sky and after a quick breakfast there, flew to the mainland and attended the graduation together. Later we met Marilyn at our boat and stopped to share a late lunch, all three of us. Wow, what a great weekend on both shores. Thanks to all, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Dog Whisperer on Dawn Treader.

Wow! Good for you Glyn! I am so impressed to your dedication to your invaluable contributions to Guide Dogs of America. I was able to see you in action with Jack the Lab in training and you are truly a Dog Whisperer. Way to go Marilyn, I hope you and your beautiful Golden Retriever Frank had a pleasant passage back to MDR. I wish I could have flown that trip with you and Mark, Glyn. It's been years since I have flown to the Island.

Thank you Glyn & Marilyn for your wonderful hospitality on Dawn Treader.

Attachments

• DawnTreader.jpg
    DawnTreader.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 22

Brisdon

Inactive Member
Wow, what an interesting picture of me. I look like a cross between a snapping turtle and a burn victim. Let me fix it.

Attachments

• Brisdon-improved.jpg
    Brisdon-improved.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 20

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Hi All,

Brother Joe and I worked almost all day Wednesday getting Golden Girl ready for the trip to Catalina. We were so excited. We passed Angel's Gate about 010:30 Thursday and headed for the Island. We were 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile out and were experiencing heavy gusts and swells of 8 to 10 feet. Joe is still recovering from some surgery he had a few months ago on a ruptured aorta, plus the fact that swells that size are not conducive, in my book, to a nice passage so we aborted the trip.

We then sat on the boat in the slip and moped all day. The pictures looked like you all had fun and we wish we had been there.

Next time.