SouthWest Gathering

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm in. Weekends in May are good. Weather is usually nice but
it's before the summertime crowds.

Glyn Judson

Ericson 2009 Catalina Rendezvous.

All, How about the first week of May, say anywhere inside of May 4 through May 10? Can't wait, Glyn Judson E31 hull #55 (I only wish it were an E35) Marina del Rey, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well, Looks like we are going to do this.

I think the first week in May would be great! Now to narrow it down. Personally I would like to try to get over there mid week, say Wednesday May 6th or Thursday the 7th and make a long weekend out of it and return on Saturday or Sunday. Be aware that Sunday the 10th is Mother's Day. That's not a big deal for me but it may be for others. One other good thing about that week is that there is a Full Moon on Saturday the 9th. That's always kind of fun.

It's seems that many here are more interested in doing a Two Harbors (Isthmus) Gathering. That may work out being that it is early in May. I will give the Harbor Master at Two Harbors a call this when we have narrowed down some dates, and see what he thinks. I know I can't change the rules over there and that it's first come first serve but I think we might benefit in telling them what we are planing and approximately how many boats are coming. I am sure they want our business as well. I think we are getting close to about a dozen boats now.

How about we put this to a vote?

First Week in May, Yes or No?

Two Harbors?

Cat Harbor?

By the way, I had forgot about the Gathering that Martin, Glyn & John had a few years ago. Not sure why I did not make that one. Didn't you guy's have a little rain? Any way I will be at this one Rain or Shine!

This is Exciting! Jeff
:egrin::egrin::egrin::clap::clap::clap::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Glyn Judson

2009 SW Ericson Rendezvous.

Jeff and all, We checked our calendars and May 6 through May 10 would work perfectly for us. My preference is to take a mooring in the Isthmus for our boat which shouldn't be much of a problem given that we can all meet at the BBQ pits on the beach, restaurant, etc, so that's my vote. Let's do it!! Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA H: 310.453.1892, C: 310.804.9198

Sven

Seglare
I just put it on our calendar :)

Isthmus Berserker Bash, but that sounds awfully rowdy.

Maybe more like Mellow Viking Fest.

So much to do !!

-Sven & Nancy

Glyn Judson

Isthmus, here we come!!

Sven and all, I hope that there'll be time enough for some of us old timer Vikings to get in some rape, pillage and burning time. That said, I wouldn't know what we'd call it. : - ) Glyn

Meanolddad

Member III
Dates are fine, may have to come alone and have the family meet me, I vote for Cat Harbor, (less boats for me to bounce off of picking up a mooring alone for the first time).;)
Greg

Glyn Judson

Southwest gathering.

Greg, We're planning to arrive mid day on Wednesday May 6 so don't worry about picking up a mooring in the Isthmus if we're already there. All you have to do is give me a holler on my cell, 310.804.9198 and I'll hop right out to work with you on your boat to get you there safe and sound. Face that dragon, stare him down and slay him. That first experience will show you just how uncomplicated it really is and it'll be a lot easier the next time and from then on. See you there, Glyn, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA Home: 310.453.1892

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Greg, I may just be going by myself as well. I have picked up moorings by myself before and it's not that bad at Two Harbors. You can also ask the Harbor Patrol for assistance if it is too rolly polly. The only time I had difficulty was at Avalon where they want you bow out and I was taking a lot of wind on the stern. Two Harbors is bow in at most locations and the wind is usually on the nose. Also if any of us Ericson Owner's are already there I am sure we could take a dink out and meet you to assist.

Any way we are still voting on the location and personally I could be happy at ether location.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
This is great. Looks like Sven, Glyn, Greg, Bill and myself are all going. I checked the Events Calendar at Two Harbors and looks like no big events are planned for that week and weekend. Two Harbors looks like the popular vote so far but we may want to be a bit flexible on our destination. One weekend of hot weather can bring everybody and their Mother's over from the Megalopolis.

I understand the desire to be close to the amenities of Two Harbors like The Bar, Showers, Market and Restaurants. It's less than a half mile walk to all of that from Cat Harbor. Cat Harbor has I think one shower, porta potties, picnic tables and a dinghy dock that is a lot less crowded. Any way there are some more pros and cons to think about.

I know I will be doing a trip before this event, probably on Easter Weekend if not sooner depending on the weather. It's been a couple of months since I have even had my boat out of my slip because I had the boom and spreaders off for repairs and painting as well as my main at the loft for some adjustments. Then I had a funeral to go to. Missed all those Indian Summer weekends in January. Boat's raring to go now and so am I. Hoping to get out for a day sail this coming Saturday!

Sven

Seglare
Renaming ceremony for Senta II during the event

First week in May sounds good. I vote for Two Harbors.
Sounds like fun.

This might be a good time to officially re-name Senta II. We're studying the the various rituals :)

The following week we go back to San Diego to get the stick pulled and get the standing rigging replaced with spars refinished for 12-16 BOAT$ !

Yes, she is worth it.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sorry Sevn about the delayed response.

Been busy with other things in life out side of the EYO gathering.

Yes I think it would be a great time for your de naming and re naming ceremony! I went through that with my boat seven years ago and another friends boat this last fall. I will try to dig up the ceremony we used. It involved cheap wine for all four wind Gods, better wine for the crew and cheap champagne for the bow / roller of the boat. Also brought a tarp so broken glass didn't get in the water or the dock. I also recommend gloves if you are going to bust champaign over the bow. My Buddy cut his hand last Fall. Not bad though.

Wow, to get the stick pulled and get the standing rigging replaced with spars refinished and re wired on my E-27 was less than 3K.

What a difference 12 feet of boat length makes.

See you in May!:egrin:

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Were going over for this but we'll be at Cherry 'cause the dog's coming
too. Love that dog beach! You might want to tell your Ericson
neighbors 'bout it 'case they don't frequent this board.

Martin

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Great Martin. Two Harbors, 4th of July Cove, Cherry Cove, it's all the same place to me. You must have connections to be guaranteed a mooring at Cherry. I thought that Beach was controlled by the Boy Scouts. I tried to land on that beach with my dinghy one time and this Guy with a voice like Bobby Kennedy told me, "I don't want to be hard nosed about it but you can't land here."

Actually come to think of it my buddy and I may have just snorkeled to the beach at Cherry.

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hi Jeff,

No connections-it's never guaranteed for us, but that's where
we like to be if given a choice. Dog beach is not where the scout
camp is. It's along the west wall near the back of the cove, they
even put up a dispenser of mutt mitts there 'cause so many dogs
come over on boats now.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I got ya Martin. I was defiantly on the East side of the cove. After the Guy told me to leave I never had a chance to look at the other side of the cove.