Please help me

Capt.Rob8129

Member I
I have all the information on the salvage place, even called them, but it's sunday and they are closed. I'm going to call first thing in the morning. I do plan on calling and talking in a calm, detached sort of way and trying to negotiate a good deal...this is too good of a deal to pass up. If push comes to shove, I'll bluff a little. I agree, going legal for such a small amount doesn't make much sense. Good news is, I have a good lawyer held on retainer, so if it gets to that point, maybe he could make a few phone calls, but that is my last resort. Funny, I was thinking of having them check the bearings and replace the tires, less work for me. I have no idea why the ***hole couldn't contact me, he has my phone number, address, and e-mail address. I wouldn't be so pissed if we didn't have a contract. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Salvage Yard

Robert- Contact the salvage yard. It sure seems like the guy is a real douchbag. If it doesnt work out for you, it wasnt meant to be. Been around a long enough to know how kharma works.
Hope it works out for you

Regards-
Rob Hessenius

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Robert- Contact the salvage yard. It sure seems like the guy is a real douchbag. If it doesnt work out for you, it wasnt meant to be. Been around a long enough to know how kharma works.
Hope it works out for you

Regards-
Rob Hessenius

Bummer. Hope it works out for you. I'll second what Rob said though. If it doesn't work out, don't worry about it too much. There are a lot of small 30 year old boats that need salvaged. Missing rudders, sails, and requiring paint jobs. If you're looking for this kind of project, just keep an eye on craigslist, and talk to boat salvage places. I think you should be able to find a free or few hundred dollar project boat again. In the meantime, figure out what you're looking for in a boat, learn about what's involved in the projects, and work out a budget for such a restoration.

I picked up a free boat 2 years ago, from craigslist (a Columbia 26 mk2), knowing it was a big project, and that's the one thing I got right! You CAN bring these boats back to their market value, and it's fun. But it's likely to cost about that much to do so, IMO. I think of it as financing. I didn't have to get a loan to buy our boat, but I pay for it over time as the budget allows.

Good luck. Hope things work out for you!

Nate

Dave Hussey

Member III
What an insensitive >@#~! :mad: This guy should get a visit from a couple of thugs for sensitivity 101 schooling! Wow. what gall.
Good thing you have his signature. If the salvage company is difficult to deal with, remind them they could be called into court as co-defendants, and made to pay you for any time that you are seperated from your boat, and all of your expenses. This could be handled in Small Claims court. (I've had to take jerks there to settle a similar dispute)
(I am not a lawyer, and you may get different mileage)<---the fine print

The best of luck !

Capt.Rob8129

Member I
E-23 gone???

I called the salvage yard today, they haven't bought a boat in over 6 months. The guy that I was told to talk to wasn't there, but the guy that I did talk to said that another guy that works there bought a boat a week or so ago. IDK. I tried to call the seller once again, no answer, not even an answering machine. Really pissed right about now. What an asshole, douchbag, and every other colorful adjective that I can think of right now. All I can do is call the seller again later on tonight. If it's not meant to be, then it isn't, but you don't come across a deal like this very often, so I'm pretty hellbent and determined to get this boat. If it doesn't work out in a week or two, then I guess that I'll just let it go. I had the same thoughts about a few "thugs" going to give him a visit, little does he know that I'm a former Marine with a little brother who is my size (6'4", 225#) that learned a few things from his big brother. As satisfying as that would be, I can't go that route, the criminal charges aren't worth it. My wife is pretty pissed too. She doesn't get to go eat some more of the most awesome fish and chips at that British Pub, and she wants the boat too.

sleather

Sustaining Member
What-da?

I had the same thoughts about a few "thugs" going to give him a visit, little does he know that I'm a former Marine with a little brother who is my size (6'4", 225#) that learned a few things from his big brother. As satisfying as that would be, I can't go that route, the criminal charges aren't worth it. My wife is pretty pissed too. She doesn't get to go eat some more of the most awesome fish and chips at that British Pub, and she wants the boat too.

Now you've got "me" scared! Just give Arlee(Mail-Call) a call and you can make it a "threesome"! Time for a Viking raid!

The title of your thread is taking on a whole "new" meaning! This is getting "curiouser and curiouser"! All I can say is I hope it all works out! BTW our moderators are "wonderful/understanding" people but the language is starting to get a tad-bit colorful(just a hint).;)

Keep your nose-to-the-ground and just keep trackin'(need a good coon-dawg to sniffem' out)! I just found out today that the powerboat I "might" want to buy is in Palm Beach Fla.(now that's a towing problem;))

Capt.Rob8129

Member I
E-23

Finally got in touch with the seller guy yesterday after trying to call him a few times monday. He says that he gave the boat to "Steven" who was supposed to take it to the salvage yard. The salvage yard hasn't bought or received a boat in over 6 months. The seller says that he will try to get in touch with "Steven" who is a very unreliable person, does work for him occasionally and he doesn't see him very often. I might have to negotiate a deal with "Steven" for the boat, maybe not. The guy was kinda "unpleasant" during our conversation. I tried to stay calm and pleasant with him, I think that things might turn out alright. I received a check from the seller today for the amount of the deposit that I gave him. I'll call him again tonight to see what he has been able to accomplish on his part.

I'm sorry if my colorful language has offended anybody, I didn't mean to offend anybody. Trust me, the words that came out of my mouth to describe this man are a whole lot worse than the words that I typed to describe him. Sorry if I offended anybody, I was pretty mad, still am, but I was also trying to be civilized on this bulletin

Steve, what kind of powerboat are you looking at? There's a pretty good sized Bayliner Baja for sale a few miles from my house. It's 22+ feet, looks like it has a pretty good sized cabin below. I don't know how much they want for it, but I can check and see if you want. I know that it's still pretty far from you, but it's closer than Palm Beach. I wouldn't mind having it for myself. It just needs a good cleaning and polish on the hull, comes with a trailer and all

sleather

Sustaining Member
Shamrock

Robert, Hope it goes well w/ the "middle man"! This is turning into an interesting "web of intrigue". Sounds like Steven wouldn't have a clue what to do w/ it besides sell it back to YOU(or somebody else)! Do I remember something about the boat being at a "trailer court"?;).....anyway Good Luck.

I don't know if anyone was offended(no response) it's just that we try to keep things.........ah "civil"? here. We curse in subtle ways.;)

I already have a 21'powerboat(burgundy one) that's had some outboard issues. It's a great boat but I'm looking at a $12K repower and then it's still something I can't work on. I want an older "straight inboard" that I can do the wrenching on, which in a smaller size happens to be a 20' Shamrock(pic2).

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Sham-sm.jpg
    Sham-sm.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 32

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Offensive Language

...a pretty good sized Bayliner Baja for sale a few miles from...

Ok - now I'm going to have to put my foot down on the language... We really don't like use of words like this here on EY.o! :p

//sse

ghostsailor

homeless E23

capt rob, i bought the boat/trlr you were after, i can give you the boat in exchange for the $200 i have paid friends for towing/cleaning, i need the trailer to rescue the boat i live on

the trailer needs a lot of welding, axles and a title, its larger than the boat needs, but was damaged when the boat filled with rain water, i found a waterline inside the boat that was 1/3 of the way up the galley sink

a swing keel pivot plate is broken off (missing its bottom half) and the hull is cracked forward of the pivot, the hull is "doing the wave" due to bad bunk support while the boat was flooded, the hinge is broken off the mast pivot, the 4 broken bolts need to be drilled out, the pivot pin is froven in the mast and may need to be drilled out, a spreader needs a new base plate, the masthead pulleys are frozen and may need to be replaced, the halyards are rotten, wind indicator missing, the starboard rail is badly damaged and needs complete rebuilding, all the rubrails damaged/missing the stanchions are loose and need to be remounted, the pulpit is badly bent and needs to be replaced, the interior looks great but the rotten base of the mast supports has to be repaired, the sink cabinet needs to be replaced, the port chain plate needs a lot of work, the deck has a lot of little cracks the outboard bracket needs to be repaired, the companion way slides need to be replaced, the bilge is full of trash but there is no way to thoroughly clean it without cutting the sole, there is a leak in the centerboard trunk, that showed itself after some of the trash was removed

i am not passing judgement on this boat, just listing the problems need to be solved before the long list of ordinary maintenance starts, this website has folks with experience to help figure where to start

larry

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Soap..........

"Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives ... "

Well, Someone just had to say that!!
:rolleyes:

LB

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
A Guy Stevens Quote

Robert- In the pictures I saw a bunch of marks on the side of the hull. I at first wasnt sure what they were, but I know what they are now. There marks from a 10' FOOT POLE. As in I wouldnt touch it with a 10' pole!! Clear yourself of this boat and fiasco, there were reasons why this has all happened. You got your $ back. The "fish and chip" shack will still be there in the future for you to take your bride. Consider yourself lucky, sounds as if the trailer was complete crap too!

RUN FOREST RUN,

Rob Hessenius

sleather

Sustaining Member
As the World Turns

Like I said before "curiouser and curiouser":confused:

My "handle" on another site is "ghostship", welcome "ghostsailor"(are you really Capt.Rob in disguise?;)). As far as the condition, I figured there would be a few "surprises":esad: The "chainplate" was 1st on my list of possible issues. If it sounds "too good to be true" it's usually NOT.

Sean, I forgot to warn Robert about the "Bagliner"word, sorry. :boohoo:

Stay tuned for tonight's exciting episode. This is "weirder" than the Capt Jeff thread!

Seriously, Bob Boe "might" be interested in the remnants, don't let the "Lady" go down w/o a fight!:egrin:

Last edited:

ghostsailor

E23

if this boat can be saved or used to save another boat that's great, there are far too many boats being crushed and landfilled, my old junker trimaran may me too far gone due to neglect and design flaws i won't know for sure until its out of the water, if parts of it live on in my next trimaran then so be it

i am looking forward to living on a boat thats recently rebuilt or well maintained
larry

Emerald

I love saving things. I've reconstructed a couple cars so far gone we had to cut back to the glass to find something to weld to... I've done a fair amount of boat restoration as well. Based on the description of what this poor boat needs, and knowing the value that it will NOT have when done, I would do as Monty Python said many many times, and "run away"!

The only way I would tackle this boat is with the full knowledge that you will spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours putting it back together. If you want to do it for the sake of doing it with the full knowledge that you will not recoup a dollar equivalent of the time and money you put into it, but will have lots of satisfaction that you "did it", then go for it. I've had projects that fell on both sides of the line and even enjoyed the money loosers, but it was with full knowledge going in I'd never get my money out. I think they call that a labor of love :cool:

Capt.Rob8129

Member I
a "dignified" response

First off, I would like to thank the members of this site for their help, advice, knowledge, and support.

"Larry" if that's who you really are, I find this all too weird that you would find me on this site talking about the exact same boat that you now have possession of. I'm thinking "twilight zone" or something like that, or maybe you were just tipped off to me. Whatever the case, know that I could have that boat, and the trailer, if I really wanted it. Maybe you didn't see all of my postings, I have a signed contract with Cory. I could file a suit for specific action and all sorts of other stuff if I wanted to. I've already talked to my lawyer, a very ambitious lawyer with that can practice law in GA, FL, SC. I know that the boat needs ALOT of work. Being a welder that has worked in boat yards around here that service yachts of all makes, shapes, and sizes, I have buddies that have the knowledge to do just about anything to a boat. I would have considered all of it a labor of love, with the end result of having a boat that I would know completely inside and out. I really don't know what to make of you, Larry, but I really feel like you have just slapped me in the face by adding insult to injury. How am I supposed to get a 23ft boat from FL to GA without a trailer? On the other hand, I can't really be too mad at you, maybe you didn't know that Cory signed a contract with me, and you are just trying to help me get the boat that I am having a fit over. Back on the first hand, why would you pay somebody to clean the boat if you only needed the trailer to put your trimaran on? Sounds fishy to me. I really don't know if I want to pursue this matter more, or not. Send me an e-mail soon if you would like to make a deal on the boat AND the trailer.

Steve, it is pretty funny how the title of this thread took on a whole new meaning. You've got a pretty good sense of humor. No, Ghostsailor and I are not one and the same, pretty good insight though

Loren, I've got a soap twist for ya....As the boat floats.

Emerald, I'm with you, I've saved 3 cars so far. One was a 86 nova, I did that one just for fun and ended up selling the car for 1/4 of what I put into it. The 86 nova is nothing like the muscle car nova, it's more like a geo prism with a bowtie on it. Another car I did was an 86 nissan 300zx. That was fun. That car really hauled butt when i got done with it, but it was eaten up with rust cancer. The last car was an 81 datsun 280zx. That was an awesome car. Believe it or not, I think that the 280 was faster than the 300. Both of the nissan/datsun's sold for twice their bluebook value. I just like to tinker with things and fix them up. I think that I want to get an old muscle car to do next.

Once again, thank you all for your help, knowledge, support, and friendliness. I'm afraid that I might not be visiting this site too much anymore. I might stop by now and then to say hey.

ghostsailor

just trying to help

i'm another one of those guys that can't win! but i try anyhow

the simple solution to this situation would have been to just stay off this site but this is the only ericson help and this boat needs it

i tried to get a phone number thru the sellers but that didn't work

this trailer needs a rebuild, it barely made it the 5 miles to the storage yard, i can repair it well enough for the 1 mile trip it will make with each of the three hulls of my boat

the sloop is already off the trailer and a safe trailer can be put underneath it

the title is still in the name of the guy that abandoned it, he signed it but there is no notary seal, i need advice on this

the storage fees are adding up, i can't let this boat sit

the sellers could have moved the boat to another property, they did not, they took my cash to avoid fines or just because i had more of it, those facts are hazy, they were caught in the middle, now i am

luckily this site can help save this boat one way or another

larry

Capt.Rob8129

Member I
Larry,

It seems like you are not willing to part with the trailer. That's all good and well. If you can use it to save your boat, then do it. There's no need to be selfish and sacrifice a halfway decent boat in order to get a really crappy boat to my yard. I am unable to get ahold of a trailer to move that boat all the way to GA, unless you think that maybe it would fit on a lowboy trailer big enough to hold a car, then there is the problem of getting the boat off of the trailer and setting it on stands here. If you would like, I could see about borrowing a "genny" welder and coming down there to fix that trailer for you. Maybe I could do the welding on the trailer for you in return for the boat. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that I can't do anything with that boat without a trailer to get it home, otherwise I would love to put my time and money into that boat, it will make a nice boat when finished. I'm sorry about the storage fees, I just can't do anything with it. Thank you for responding to me, and thank you for trying to find help for that little boat. Let me know if you have any solutions to the predicament that we are both in

sleather

Sustaining Member
Novelette

Robert & Larry, I sincerely hope you guys can come to a peaceful solution to this problem. I'm sure that at some point your communication will be of the e-mail or phone variety, out of sight and out of mind.

There are folks here that are interested in the out-come, so a few more chapters in this "novelette" would be welcomed by me (if no-one else). I have a more than casual interest in anything Ericson and especially the E23. Do keep us "posted"!

Good Luck, and who's this "Steven" guy(the "original" middle man)? :confused: