pedistal guard for E27

ron7546

Member II
Hi To All,Shortly after buying an E27 5 years ago,I started looking into adding a pedestal guard.I contacted Edson,sent them photos and talked to them on the phone.They told me that I did not have room enough for a pedestal guard.Apparently due to the traveler right in front of the helm.Since then I have seen numerous photos of E27`s with this arrangement AND didn`t one get hauled out right next to me last fall.The yard did all the layup and the owner wasn`t around to talk to.Can anyone shed some light on the situation? Is the pedestal Yachting Specialities or Edson? .Since the boat is under 4 ft. of snow(yes it is wraped) I would like to know the pedestal dia. . Ron "Bluenote"

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ron,

I got a pedestal top plate from Loren, he had one laying around. The space in front of the pedestal is tight but doable. Keep the feet as close to the pedestal as you can. I used 1" rail mount bases and had to notch them a bit (see photo). I think the "real" pedestal guard feet are small enough that you would not have to modify anything. On my boat I used to tabernacle the mast every time I went out using the mainsheet so I have over-sized blocks. They do hang up sometimes when using the traveler.

Attachments

• wheel2.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 97

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You might want to talk to someone like RailMakers in Costa Mesa (I believe.) They can fabricate whatever you need and may have done some previously for your model since Ericsons are so common on the West Coast.

ron7546

Member II
Pedestal guard on 1976 E27

Mark posted a photo of a pedestal that looks just like the one on my 1976 E27 . A "YS" I am assuming. Can anyone tell me what manufacture and model # I should be looking for.The guard and feet I can have fabricated.Looking to get a jump on this project but with the snow in upstate New York this winter I won`t be getting aboard for some time.
In response to Todd,yes I will use the guard as a grab bar.I can`t hop up, over and around like I did years ago.
Thanks To All
Ron