Nav Pod on the Cheap

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
I was looking for a pedestal guard, mainly to mount my handheld gps and maybe a pocket for my handheld vhf. Based on the price, and limited space on the E27 due to the main sheet location, I made a smaller "Nav Pod"

I don't intend on doing a lot of cruising, very far from Port, so this should do me for a while, plus the price was right.

Here are the parts and cost

12"x18"x 1/2" HDPE Cutting Board (only used 4"x12") $11 (from Amazon.com)
2-SS 90 degree Rail Fittings $22 (from Perfectfit.com)
2- 8" long x 1"dia. SS tube $6 (from McMaster)
2-SS clamps $10 (from McMaster)
2-pipe caps $1 (from OSH)
Edson Guard Rail Pedestal Attachment $11 (used from Minney's) Big Time Score!!
Edson SS Guard Rail lateral support $4 (used from Minney's)
SS screws $1 (from ACE)

Total $66

Here are some pictures. The first is the parts used. The other 2 show the finished product. Have not found a use for the SS lateral support yet.

Attachments

• IMG00031.jpg
    IMG00031.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 80
  • P1010002 (3).jpg
    P1010002 (3).jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010001 (3).jpg
    P1010001 (3).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 90

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Nice Todd.

If you move the GPS over to the side and cut a hole or two for drinks you could use the SS lateral support to keep the bottles/cans from sliding through.

toddbrsd

Good Thought

I would probably have to cut a bigger piece of "cutting board", since putting 2 holes in it would diminish its strength. But that is the beauty of the the inexpensiveness of the material. Besides I have the 12"x16" remnant piece sitting around waiting to be used as a project!

As an engineer, I am prone to being a bit anal and having one instrument off center would not work for me. Maybe I can find a cradle for my handheld VHF and mount it on the other side, then I would be able to sail comfortably!!!!

jthistle

Member II
Just the Answer...

That's a great Project. I have the Edson mount but no Pedestal. I'm cheap so I don't want to throw the cash at a whole unit. This is an awesome solution. I'm wondering if the transmission/throttle levers are gonna get in the way. Thanks for posting.

Jason

toddbrsd

That's a great Project. I have the Edson mount but no Pedestal. I'm cheap so I don't want to throw the cash at a whole unit. This is an awesome solution. I'm wondering if the transmission/throttle levers are gonna get in the way. Thanks for posting.

Jason

Jason,

The throttle lever comes very close to hitting the starboard tube, but does not touch. The gear lever moves up and down and I do have to adjust the height so it does not hit.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Jason,

The lever clearance should be the same as with the full pedestal guard. my throttle just clears the guard.