E-38 Major Leak!

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
It would appear that conventional Ericson wisdom dictates the I rebed the keel-hull partner in 5200 or epoxy. I appreciate the input.

I would trust the above Ericson wisdom far more than any boat yard, and most surveyors, that I have dealed with.

I had a big insurance company battle once, I ended up handing over money that I should not have had to pay, but it was worth it to be done with them.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

celtium

Member III
Insurance!!

Yup, gotta watch those insurance companies /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Looking at my policy I note that it excludes "Wear, tear, gradual deterioration, corrosion, or damage caused by animals." <O:p></O:p>
So if I insist they drop the keel, my guess is that it should be done to "check for any additional structural damage". My concern is that if I say I am concerned about "corroded" keel bolts, they won't cover it. However, if they drop the keel looking for further "structural" damage, they pay. Then if corroded bolts are discovered, I could then argue that they cover the repair of them or do it myself and they would still need to rebed the keel?<O:p></O:p>
With insurance, it’s all a chess game. But then, it may be worth it to consult with a coverage attorney as well for interpretation. Had to do that once in relation to my business, never heard of one, but they are attorneys that represent you to your own insurance company, ain’t it a hoot?<O:p></O:p>

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am not a fan of surveyors or insurance companies. I have had numerous battles with insurance companies and the surveyor I hired to do the PPI on my boat missed some stuff and was plain wrong about some things. He is one of the most respected in the State.... It would seem that a surveyor has a daunting task to begin with. There are so many boats, with so many "unique" problems that I don't see how they really can know enough about any of them to do a truly complete job. The bottom line is this: Its YOUR boat! Even if the insurance doesn't want to pay for ALL of the repair, and the yard/surveyor doesn't think its "necessary", THEY AREN'T SAILING THE BOAT! It would seem that the overwhelming advice on this board is to drop the keel and do it right. Doing it right will give peace of mind, confidence in the boat and may even help should you decide to sell in future. This is not an area that is worth skimping on. RT

celtium

Member III
Insurance

RT, you are correct.

Insurance companies are for profit, they are not really there for us the comsumer. I've just found that you have to look out for yourself with them and you will probably come away a little happier, not much though.

But...in fairness, I haven't gotten the insurance companies surveyors rec's , so there is no resolution as yet, so I should probably take a chill pill and relax.

Bottom line? You gotta make it right, but try and get your carrier to "carry" as much as possible. Because as you know, "boat bucks" add up quick!!:mad:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, before assuming that the insurance company will not treat you fair...
do give them the benefit of the doubt.
Case in point: several years ago I had to have a lock replaced and door panel repainted after a burgler tried to break in to my car. Prying instrument had been used -- you can imagine that the damage was local but intense.
I talked to the shop and to the ins adjuster about having some trim replaced around the window that was badly worn and UV damaged, at my own expense while the door was apart. They both said that they appreciated my honesty. I did directly pay about a hundred $ for the trim work and insurance paid all the rest.
The shop owner said that sometimes customers try to get unrelated work included in the ins. repairs and he did not like those conversations.

So, be nice, be up front, and you may end up with some part of the bill to pay for what would be "preventative maintenance" anyway...
And, take accurate notes, with exact quotes...

I figure that there is little harm in being honest, and you lay the grounds for a succesful legal challenge later, Heaven Forfend, should the situation come to that.
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

celtium

Member III
Insurance

I totally agree Loren.

But, unfortunately, I own 2 contracting companies and have a lot more dealings with insurance companies than I would like to have ever had. So I guess I'm a little gun shy regarding ins co's.

I never would have expected to have needed a 'coverage' attorney for one issue I had, didn't even know coverage attorney's existed, but this attorney's sole practice was insurance coverage, go figure.

So I agree in spirit, but reality needs to prevail do to previous experiance with them trying to pay as little as possible. And I also understand there position. They have had way to numerous false claims, in todays world everyone has to be careful. Can't blame them, but we'll wait and see.

What was it Reagan said? Trust, but verify...could also be put as trust but be prepared!

LTR

noproblemo2

Member III
When I first read the original post of this discussion, my insticts were of the previous owner somehow damaging the boat and covering it up, however after reading the input of a former worker at the Ericson plant can't help but wonder if yours is one of the "dropped" ones, most likely we'll never know the answer to that. Am very sorry that you are having to be put through this extremely trying experience, once these issues are corrected, may you have MANY happy memories on her as we were fortunate to have on ours.:egrin::cheers:

celtium

Member III
noproblemo

Thanks for the kind words. I'm thinking that at the worst there is some keel bolt issue, or the mold releaser was not cleaned off or both, at the least it was simply keel flex due to the keel bolts loosing their torque. I am not terribly concerned, I just think it was truly a boat that was lightly used and the first time it got sailed hard the lack of use revealed itself.

It is still in bristol condition and I fully expect to have an excellent time sailing her.

Will report the revelations as they become available.

Jay

celtium

Member III
Name

She will continue the name 'Celtica', so I guess I'll have to figure out the time honored tradition of change of boat name.

As a side note, when provisioning for our journey up the coast, one of my crew members and I were buying groceries. We bought bananas, who we were told by another crew member that bananas are bad luck on a boat/voyage, hmmm:confused:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
bananas? changing the boat name? did you have pigs on board, and leave on a friday too??? It's a wonder you didn't sail off the end of the earth, or get eaten by a leviathan!! :egrin:

celtium

Member III
Bananas

Yup, bananas, I had never heard of that one. But if you do a search, you'll find the story!:egrin:One of my crew told me about the superstition after the event, I told him thanks a lot!

As for the name, the current name of the vessel is Tai Sho. My preferred name for the boat is Celtica, thus the need for a name change, that has nothing to do with the voyage.

The only pigs were my shipmates after several days:p, the leviathon:confused:, and many would say Point Conception, going north, is like sailing off the ends of the earth, ha;)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What's in a Name

http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

To de-name... and re-name...

Why take chances...
:rolleyes:

Loren

ps: do we need a new thread for naming ceremonies and associated lore?
pps: after checking with the boat owner, I have renamed this thread, since there never was a crack in the hull itself.

Last edited:

celtium

Member III
De-name / Re-name

Taking chances, ... after what has happened I can't say that Tai Sho has been to good to me:esad:

On the other hand, my 35 is named Celtica and treated me like a king, who knows

sleather

Sustaining Member
Peel

As a side note, when provisioning for our journey up the coast, one of my crew members and I were buying groceries. We bought bananas, who we were told by another crew member that bananas are bad luck on a boat/voyage, hmmm:confused:

I'm sure that can be traced back to where the "peel" ended up!:rolleyes: