E-38 Major Leak!

celtium

Member III
Pat & Ed

I agree, that's why I bought the 38-200 because she's offshore capable, plus I'm an Ericson freak considering I've owned the 27 & the 35 MKII. :egrin:

But I found out that it was not uncommon for the later Ericson's 88 & 89? to not have the hull mold releaser wax removed. Thus the keel flex. Considering that this is turning into an expensive repair, I'm thankful the insurance company is picking up the tab, but she should be better than new when they are done.

Thank you for the words of encouragement!!

Are you the folks doing the HaHa?

Jay

celtium

Member III
Finally

So now all the picture showing the damage clearly are now posted!! I hate being internet challenged!:mad:

Attachments

• Outlook.jpg10.jpg
    Outlook.jpg10.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 69

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks for posting these pictures--gives us a much better sense of what you are talking about. I think I would make the bet that you mentioned in an earlier post, that there will be some rust on the keel bolts and that dropping the keel and rebedding is the right way to go.
It would be interesting to do a poll of how many Ericson owners have dropped and or rebedded their keels, at what age (of boat).
Good luck!
Frank.

celtium

Member III
Initial Yard Diagnosis

Well the keel has been dropped and I'm headed for the boat yard tomorrow.

The yard owner reported the following...

The keel bolts are fine, no corrosion. Guess I buy him a McDonalds lunch;)

But...the aft keel bolts were very loose. The most aft nuts were only a little better than finger tight! The ones forward of the mast were tight but certainly not torqued to what he would consider spec.

The aft most portion of the hull, between the two aft keel bolts is cracked. At first he thought it was only the gel coat, but with some grinding discovered the crack. So he will need to take out that section of hull and rebuild it with new glass. I had to have the yard in SF do that to my 35 when the prop strut broke off, major glass job!

The loose nuts explains the creaking I heard between the galley and cabin ladder though! The cause of the crack in the hull/keel partner, in his opinion, was more the keel actually having a slight 'swing' to it than keel flex.

He did not see any strong evidence of the keel to hull joint failing and had a difficult time separateing the joint.

Go figure, will 'report' more and post pix after the trip dowm.

celtium

Member III
New Pictures

OK, finally, here are pictures of the culprit! The yard should have the boat ready to ship to SF by the 10th, so it looks like I get a Christmas boat:).

summerfall.2007 098.jpg

summerfall.2007 100.jpg

summerfall.2007 104.jpg

summerfall.2007 107.jpg

summerfall.2007 108.jpg

celtium

Member III
More pix

summerfall.2007 115.jpg

summerfall.2007 116.jpg

summerfall.2007 117.jpg

summerfall.2007 118.jpg

So I reackon that is it for now. Don't know how the crack got there. It is from either a) the original grounding in 1989 by the PO, or b) maybe it happened when we sailed her hard and the keel nuts were loose because the surveyor didn't catch it. Guess I'll never know.

The next set will probably be when it goes on the truck to bring up the coast.

celtium

Member III
Little bit more info

The yard ground out the crack and rebuilt it with West System Epoxy. He said the repair area is now stronger than the hull itself with no 'cold joint' between the two. Also a curious note... the forward bolt hole had a void between the actual hull and triaxial grid pan? Whatever it's called, the yard and I both thought it curious because that would cause a torque problem. At any rate, they have hardened up that area so that is no longer a problem if it ever was.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Grid / Keelbolts

Also a curious note... the forward bolt hole had a void between the actual hull and triaxial grid pan? Whatever it's called, the yard and I both thought it curious because that would cause a torque problem. At any rate, they have hardened up that area so that is no longer a problem if it ever was.

Our aft-most bolt had this problem when we rebedded. We built it up with thickened epoxy so the bolt would have something solid to bite down on. Coincidentally, our aft-most bolt was the most corroded.

- Cory
E35-3

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Wow! That's some crack. Funny spot for it too.

You wouldn't think the middle of the keel stub would be the weak spot if there were an unreasonable strain on the backbone of the boat. You'd think it would give just forward or aft of the keel where there isn't a 1' thick layup.

Anyone want to hazard a guess on what sort of circumstance could lead to a crack like that?

(btw, I'm amazed at how fast you've gotten all this done. Kudos to the boatyard and your ins. company.)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Also, can anyone explain why....

Also, can anyone explain why there isn't more corrosion on the keel bolts? The previous pictures showed cracks in the keel/hull joint and the owner said there were rust stains--yet the pictures of the bolt once the keel was dropped show only very slight surface rusting. Althoug I am very pleased for the owner that they look so good, I am puzzled how the keel bolts survived so well, given the cracks and apparent rust. It sort of makes me think we are being overcautious in dropping the keels, especially on boats that have had the keel/hull joint recaulked from time to time--is dropping the keel and rebedding only required as "major surgery" rather than as preventive maintenance? :confused:
Thanks for any clarification.
Frank.

celtium

Member III
Keel Bolts, etc.

Somebody the other day gave me two theories as to the cause of the corrosion. The first is the popular one, being anorobic electrolosys (sp?), but the additional thought would be does the subject boat with corrosion also have some form of stray current causing the electrolosys to occur in the anorobic environment?

Also, I think the rust stains may have been from the mast step condensation over time as I think that is mild steel not SS, or maybe the washers. Either way, if you notice, the keel bolts are always corroded, not rusted. So the insurance co's surveyor was wrong in his comment re the rust. Yes, there was tust, but from where?

And yes, I am very pleased with this yard in Santa Barbara, very very good people:egrin:!

Jay - Celtica

Also, can anyone explain why there isn't more corrosion on the keel bolts? The previous pictures showed cracks in the keel/hull joint and the owner said there were rust stains--yet the pictures of the bolt once the keel was dropped show only very slight surface rusting. Althoug I am very pleased for the owner that they look so good, I am puzzled how the keel bolts survived so well, given the cracks and apparent rust. It sort of makes me think we are being overcautious in dropping the keels, especially on boats that have had the keel/hull joint recaulked from time to time--is dropping the keel and rebedding only required as "major surgery" rather than as preventive maintenance? :confused:
Thanks for any clarification.
Frank.

JMCronan

Member II
In my case I was quite worried about the keel bolts when the time came to drop. I had multiple washers with rust and corrosion. One washer was eaten totally in half. When I saw that the bolts were in near perfect condition I was a bit suprised, but very happy. I can only assume that the quality of materials was the difference.