2010 rendezvous ?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Now we're talking! "It Hasta be Shasta"!

Gonna be great to see you both again Martin & Don.

I as well have been telling fellow Vikings at my marina, no commitments yet from them yet. My dock neighbor John with his 1970 E-30 is departing for Alaska again on May 2nd. He made it all the way up to Puget Sound last year. I do believe he will get up to Glacier Bay this time. I really tried to get him to hang around for the Viking Gathering. He and his old boat Gypsy Woman would have been welcome edition.

Sven

Seglare
I just posted this the the Cruisers' forum hoping other Ericson owners there might find us.

We're having a 2nd annual Ericson gathering at Catalina Isthmus harbor the weekend before Memorial day. The main dates are Saturday 5-22 through Sunday 5-23 but some boats will arrive earlier and some will stay later to turn it into an extra long weekend.

Last year was the first time we did this and we had about a dozen Ericsons sign up with their crews and had a really nice informal get together. We will repeat the loosely organized pot luck BBQ on the beach, probably on Saturday evening.

No sign-up is needed but it would be nice to have an idea who might show up so that we can tell the harbor master how many cans we might need. Since it is the weekend preceding the Memorial day weekend there should still be abundant moorings available. The following weekend is when the high season starts and moorings become an issue (they can not be reserved in advance unless you know a lease holder).

We've starting to keep a running tally of the gathering at: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showpost.php?p=56406&postcount=1

Information about the harbor accommodations can be found at Visit Catalina Island, California and there is a web camera at Webcam Catalina Island Two Harbors - California, Beach, Harbor, and Moorings . If you are hesitant about using the Catalina-style bow-stern moorings with sand-lines this is a good time to try it as there will be plenty of help on hand (plus the always helpful patrol boats).

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Probably 4 hours, well worth it.

The first time we sailed from Cabrillo it literally took us 3 hours from Angels Gate to the mooring on a single tack but it usually takes us about 4 hours.

-Sven

tdskip

Member II
Probably 4 hours, well worth it.

The first time we sailed from Cabrillo it literally took us 3 hours from Angels Gate to the mooring on a single tack but it usually takes us about 4 hours.

-Sven

That's nothing! Cool - I've always wanted to make that run but from Dana Point it's a bit more daunting. I need to get the boat properly sorted out first, but this is encouraging. A nice target to organize around...

Sven

Seglare
That's nothing! Cool - I've always wanted to make that run but from Dana Point it's a bit more daunting. I need to get the boat properly sorted out first, but this is encouraging. A nice target to organize around...

Sam sailed up from Dan Point last year. Nancy and I sailed up from San Diego and it took us 27 hours with the last 3 hours under power.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah, Two Harbors usually takes me about 4 hours and Avalon is about 5. Hopefully you won't have to motor the whole way. I find it easier to get a reach to Avalon and have most always been able to sail all the way. Two Harbors is another story. Often I will have to motor sail about half way before I get a reach. My record was on a return trip from Avalon where I sailed back in 3 1/2 hours on a broad reach with winds 20-25 knots.

Always better speed when you can sail. Weather and wind conditions are always a factor. Once if February it took me eight hours to sail back from Avalon. High winds on the nose and confused seas made it very hard to get a reach.

tdskip

Member II
Is there an "ideal" time of the year to try this? Any change in prevailing winds etc.. that make it an easier trip? Can you tell I'm getting fired-up about doing this? LOL.

Thanks!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner

Attachments

• wshr02.jpg
    wshr02.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 26

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks Loren,

I made a bookmark of that site. I like the fact that it uses the Beaufort Force scale. Near Channel Islands it's hitting Force 8. Out side the Golden Gate it kissing Force 9. Good time to practice with the Storm Tri Sail!

Sven

Seglare
Just heard from Bill McNally, E39 Cat's Paw, out of Los Alomitos. He's going out the following weekend with his club so he'll miss the Gathering.

-Sven

stuartm80127

Member II
Rendezvous

Darn, won't have my boat towed to CA until June 1. Would love to meet up in june or july. Will be located in Ventura. Stargazer.

Sven

Seglare
Darn, won't have my boat towed to CA until June 1. Would love to meet up in june or july. Will be located in Ventura. Stargazer.

We try to announce here when we'll be going over and once the current set of Bring Out Another Thou chores are done we should be going out there every other weekend or so. Of course, in the summer it is a bit more crowded so moorings are a bit iffy.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Can't wait. Two weeks from this coming Saturday. This will be officially my 30th trip to Catalina with the "Pride Of Cucamonga". Been busy getting her ready serviced the Radar, Tech says it's good for many years to come. Getting the carb rebuilt for my dinghy outboard. Other than that all systems are go.

Sven

Seglare
Jeff & all, Have a great time, I just wish we could have made it, I really do. Glyn

We'll miss you guys.

Who else is coming that we don't have on the list yet ?

This weekend we'll go out there to make sure that the Isthmus is still there ... it is a lot of work but someone has to do it :)

-Sven

Sam Vickery

Member III
Will miss the "Gathering"

I am sorry to miss the "Gathering" this year. My young bride will be out of town and my usual crew is taking a pass. We enjoyed ourselves last year and I expect this year may be even better.

It took us a little over 8 hours from Dana Point to Two Harbors last year. Great time on the water.

Enjoy the "Gathering". I hope to be there next year.

Sam
86' 32-3

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Glyn & Sam,

I will miss seeing you both again. No worries. BTW congratulations Sam! :cheers:

And Sven, stop rubbing it in that you have the time to go to the Island twice a month!:devil::devil: