Rudder drawings for 30-2

Seth

Sustaining Partner
what is the end game?

Foss can make youa new one-they have the molds... Dennis Choate can rebuild your old one, and at the same time reshape it to improve handling and performance-and you won't need drawings for either options.

Do you need them for another purpose?

S

tripper_dave

Member II
Foss can make youa new one-they have the molds... Dennis Choate can rebuild your old one, and at the same time reshape it to improve handling and performance-and you won't need drawings for either options.

Do you need them for another purpose?

S

I need a new rudder due to a haulout mishap.... ours is now snapped in two.
Foss has the rudder mold for the 30-2? That is awesome. I will contact them tomorrow.
I was looking for the drawings thinking that I would need to get a new one built at Phil's Foils.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
FOSS should be able to

I am 90% sure they can just build one for you.

Do you have the broken one? If so, and if Foss cannot, send it to Choate. He can build one exactly the same, or a better idea: let him do something which will fit but be better with a more modern shape. He is kind of an artist, so if he says he has an idea which will be better and you can afford the price (he is usually quite reasonable), don't ask too many questions and let him do his thing-you will be glad you did.

Good luck

Pokey

Member II
Dencho has done extensive work on my last two boats, and I can highly recommend Dennis and his guys, but if you don’t have deep pockets, you'd better set some limits up front.

A couple of quotes (paraphrased) from the man, or his man:</SPAN>

After seeing a 70 foot racer in the shop for a couple of months, I ask, ‘when you gonna be done with that boat?’ Dencho responds, 'When it leaves the yard.'

And a quote that doesn’t require parsing: 'every boat leaves here faster than when it arrived.'

I can attest to the truthfulness of both statements. Dencho is the best speed shop in SoCal. But don't think you'll get outta there cheap. These guys are used to dealing with big projects and budgets.

On the other hand, times are tough all over, especially for high end boat builders. So you might be able to work a deal...</SPAN>

Sven

Seglare
Dennis' guys did our 14" rudder extension in the yard in 3 days while we were having bottom paint and scuppers and other stuff done. In Marina Boatyard (?) Alamitos Bay, Ca.

I think the cost was just over $2K ?

-Sven

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Great quotes

Dencho has done extensive work on my last two boats, and I can highly recommend Dennis and his guys, but if you don’t have deep pockets, you'd better set some limits up front.

A couple of quotes (paraphrased) from the man, or his man:</SPAN>

After seeing a 70 foot racer in the shop for a couple of months, I ask, ‘when you gonna be done with that boat?’ Dencho responds, 'When it leaves the yard.'

And a quote that doesn’t require parsing: 'every boat leaves here faster than when it arrived.'

I can attest to the truthfulness of both statements. Dencho is the best speed shop in SoCal. But don't think you'll get outta there cheap. These guys are used to dealing with big projects and budgets.

On the other hand, times are tough all over, especially for high end boat builders. So you might be able to work a deal...</SPAN>

A perfect description of Dennis!:0 By most reports though, his prices are always very reasonable..

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Not to diminish Dennis in any way, but you are in eastern Canada, not California. From Toronto you are going to be hard-pressed to solve your rudder problem more easily or less expensively than you can with a model-specific rebuild from Foss. There's a good chance they've improved on the original design too, as they have for my E-32. Your season is probably done for all intents and purposes at this point, but you could quite possibly have the new Foss rudder in your hands and mounted on the boat before Thanksgiving.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Maybe

Assumiong FOSS has the blank for this rudder (I think they do), and he wants to stay with the orignal shape, you might be right.

The fact is that several members have had Choate do this work pretty quick and at comparable prices, with arguably better results because he will make the rudder a bit more modern while he is at it.

Both are good options since you have the off-season to get it done, and it is worth looking closely at both before deciding.

S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Another way to look at the situation would be to compare the cost of shipping the old rudder parts to DC, on the chance that the shaft and armature can be (mostly) reused.
If not, you're out the cost of shipping... which might be a fraction of the cost to produce all new parts from scratch.
That may or may not be cost-effective, but some consult time with the rudder builder might clarify things a lot.

Achieving a "more modern" shape might be a great thing, too. Contrast rudders designed in the late 70's with the eliptical foil on our '88 boat - our foil is still very "current."

LB

Last edited:

tripper_dave

Member II
Reply from Foss

Thnaks for all the advice.
Heard back from Foss
On 16-Oct-12, at 10:23 PM, bobwalker10@aol.com wrote:

Sorry we don't have those molds. Please send me a sketch of the outside dimensions of your rudder including the shaft diameter. We have over 300 molds. I will be happy to see if we have something that will work.
Thank you for your inquiry,

Bob "Al" Walker
www.newrudders.com
PH 352-529-1104
Fax 352-529-1106

The boat was damaged at haulout. Our season isn't essentially over, it's over. Period.
I want to get the rudder replaced and done right.
Note that this is a 30-2, it has an outboard rudder, which in some ways is a blessing as it is compaitaively easy to remove.
We the boat came down on the rudder the shaft attached to the steel frame was bent, I don't know if that can be rebuilt.
If I can't source a new rudder from the moulds, then my best bet is Phil's Foils (CCI Compsoites) up in Ottawa, as the shipping a customs won't be a problem.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You want the SoCal Foss. They were the original rudder builders of most boats that were built in California, including Ericson. As I understand the story, they are related genetically and were once related businesswise, but they don't acknowledge each others' existence. There is more information about them on these forums.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Rudders

Socal Foss wouldbe the one to contact. If you strike out, you should really consider sending it to Dencho. You will probabaly end up with something better than the original. I can help you with contacts/intros at either place. Contact me offline via email..
Cheers,
S