Purchased 39 Ericson...Looking blueprint or layout of the interior.

Er39skipper

Hello Fellow Sailors....
I have recently purchased a 1972 39' Ericson ....it needs a little TLC but The shell, outside, electronics are in great condition........
I would like to get any and all information about the boat, especially the interior layout, dimensions, possibly blueprints...
If anyone can steer me to the right sites for info or can email me with anyting they might have.... I would appreciate it...
Thanking you in advance...
"RITZ"

valentor

Member II
I'm not sure if the 39 is a Bruce King design, but I believe it is. You might try contacting Bruce King Yacht Design (www.bkyd.com). They were able to send me some original drawings of my 1978 E34.

Regards;

Steve

Guy Stevens

Good Boat

You have a great boat!

We had our 39 for over 7 years. Sailed her well over 45,000 miles.

There were two versions of the 39 the sandard FLUSH decked 39 and one with a cabin top. The one with a cabin top is called a 39B and was more set up for cruising.

I have quite a few plans for the boat which Bruce and Martin king gave me back when we had one. If you would let me know what you are doing, and what you need I might be able to pry them out of storage, and send some along to you. They are all blueprint size, so they are kind of spendy to copy.

Having done over 35,000 miles of blue water cruising on the boat, see our web site for some of the details at www.svpneuma.com, I can tell you she is fast, and comfortable.

What are your intentions for the boat?

Drop me a line, I would be glad to chat about the boats.

P.S. We have an Ericson 46, the larger cousin to the 39. Most people can't tell the difference between the two boats, unless some one is on deck.

Guy
:)

trucknrn

Member I
Hello Fellow Sailors....
I have recently purchased a 1972 39' Ericson ....it needs a little TLC but The shell, outside, electronics are in great condition........
I would like to get any and all information about the boat, especially the interior layout, dimensions, possibly blueprints...
If anyone can steer me to the right sites for info or can email me with anyting they might have.... I would appreciate it...
Thanking you in advance...
"RITZ"

I have prints for my e39 I might be able to copy but they dont tell alot

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Congrats

These are very cool boats-a huge value in terms of construction, looks and performance for the dollar.

Guy and Lew will know more about this, but among the flush deck series (as opposed to the 39B), I seem to recall there were several interior arrangements available over the years, so it might be a process to find drawings that actually match your boat-especially the interior and even the deck layout to a lesser degree.

Also, when I was at the factory, I would produce a deck drawing specific to each order for those boats which had custom deck layouts, spinnaker gear, etc.

We would take the generic drawings, and add the stoppers, winches, tracks,etc..

This is what we did for the 35-2, I/31, all the + series, 33 and 36 RH, and the 38's (the new style 32,34 35 were not yet in produciton when I left)..

Guy, Lew, for the 39's is this correct (about the interiors), or is my memory fading in the Chicago winter fog?

HNY,
S

Guy Stevens

A couple

Bruce drew two, and I have seen both versions, both have wonderful interiors. My preferences run to his interiors offshore, I haven't been on a boat that worked as well as far as interiors offshore as his have for me.

As far as the deck plans, that seems to be exactly what happens, I suspect that the owners had a little too much input in several of the boats that I have removed the deck hardware from, and set back to a reasonable layout.... Others seem to be completely set up as drawn by Bruce.

They sail well, and I think are one of the best values out there in an offshore cruising yacht.

I have plans of both interiors and as far as I know all of the available plans. I got them out of storage last week to copy them for another EYC member. The copying came to $80.00 alone. They tell a lot from the construction of the chainplates hull offsets, rigging etc, You could with some work rebuild one from what I have. If yours don't tell much, they are probably the two one electrical, and one plumbing that came with the boat. There are a lot more than that.

Guy

Last edited:

wingonwing

Info on chainplates 1971 E 39' Purchaseing

Leaking has damaged the cabins interior...

Am glad there are members here who actually worked on the desighns. So how were the chainplates reinforced ? What's the likely-hood
of water getting to the Balsa core and spreading from the leak I would hate to find out that rot has started or will start from within the core and end up with soft spots on the deck. I'm hoping that Ericson used marine ply and beefed up the glass in high load areas. I specified to the Broker to check for any soft spots near the chainplates and none have been reported as of yet.

I of course will get a surveyor to check it out, but were trying to get the numbers together for all the other repair jobs. This one has me stumped it's not as simple as replaceing the chainplates and a bit of glasswork I imagine...

Any information would be great. Thanks

Sven

Seglare
Chainplates ...

First, welcome to the forum !

I think Guy is redoing or has redone the chainplates in his 46 so he's probably the authority on that subject. Looking at his pictures of the work scares me :egrin:

Compared to the chainplates I'd think deck rot would be a relatively smaller job ?

Are the chainplates shot and is that where the deck rot is suspected or were there other areas ?

Our 39 is the B model and we love her. Backing up is more of a pain than any boat I have ever been on but other than that she's just about perfect !

-Sven

wingonwing

E 39' Chainplate Leaking

Thanks for the Welcome, am glad we found the Forum seems to be a great group of knoledgeable and friendly E owners here.

I have'nt seen the boat yet for a close inspection. We just spoke to the broker and got some photos sent. I have been trying to get my hands on an E 39 for allmost a year now and we keep on missing out. The last one I found that was in excellant condition was in NC it sold a day before I spoke to the owner. (Real nice guy ended up speaking to him for an hour or so on the phone)

The one I recently found needs a bit of work all around but were going for it. (My boat is on her last legs and I'm not getting any younger).I did'nt get photos of the deck only photos from the cabins interior showing water stains ect. The chainplate is surely shot. I'm just wondering how Ericson installed the chainplates.
Are your's glassed in or is the plate visible on deck. Some desighners welded the backplates and sent rods connecting through the topsides and into the cabin others used different methods. The method used kind of dictates the repair job invovled. I'm not looking forward to it either way.

There are only a few 39' B's still knocking about I'm told. Must be like standing inside a Cathedral with all the headroom in the cabin. The fellow in NC did mention she does'nt like backing and performs poorly under power.. They sail like demons though I was speaking to another E 39 owner who had sailed along side his father in a 365 Pearson on an Atlantic crossing. He did the crossing with only the Jib up. If he raised the Mainsail on the 39' at all even heavily reefed he lost sight of his father in less than an hour....

You mentioned some photos of a repair job on a 46' what thread are those under ?

Thanks again...

Sven

Seglare
Just got back from Senta II and some boat chores.

I think the cathedral probably has about the same headroom as the flush-deck. The raised coach-roof was added to give room for more tankage, by raising the cabin sole, keeping the headrom about the same.

I think there were 19 E39Bs built and I think I know of 5 of them off the top of my head.

I think the pictures of the chainplate replacement were on Guy Steven's website ? I'll see if I can find it if he doesn't beat me to it.

-Sven

wingonwing

E 39'

Am suffering today... J24 Regatta and World Cup all in one day. I drank way too much... We were planning on bringing some fresh water back to the boat last night to wash her down after the race (unfounded optimism) I could'nt even find my Dinghy..

Well that makes sence, raising the cabin floor on the B's. The flush deck models do have a small holding capicity ...

Am 6'3 I have to remove the Bilge cover in my 33' to stand upright in her.. Any thing with more than 6ft clearence in the Cabin allways seems like a cathedral to me.. We might even be able to manage a little stretch in the 39' :rolleyes:

Off to find my Dinghy...

Guy Stevens

I am a little confused

Does anyone need any input on any of the chainplate deck issues on the 39 or the 46 that I have not addressed?

Let me know...

Guy

Sven

Seglare
Guy,

Maybe just a link to the pics where you were tabbing the new chainplates in place ? We don't need any new ones but Wingonwing might.

PS I hope I remember correctly that you were the one who had the pictures posted somewhere on your site ?

-Sven

wingonwing

Ericson 39' Chainplates

Hi Guy, yes we were looking for some general information and maybe some pictures on your bulkhead replacement job. I'm going to try to attach a photos showing the current damage on the boat were looking to purchase. In general I'm comfortabe with F/B and Epoxy work. I have dealt with rotted core damage and the like beore. I have never replaced chainplates though that have been glassed in with minimal access. Want to get a better idea of what this repair job will involve and if I can do it.

Bulkheads 2.jpg

Bulkheads 3.jpg

Bulkheads 4.jpg

Guy Stevens

Ok I have some input on that....

I also have some photos and a whole lot of questions.... I should probably ask and post here. I will, it won't probably be till Friday morning though, as I am still trying to catch up on a big backlog of work....

Guy

Guy Stevens

I would probably replace the bulkhead

You could get away with scarfing in a new piece, liberal epoxy with bonding filler between the two pieces finished off with a SS or Aluminum plate through bolting both together. Replacing the entire bulkhead would be the best fix, but we could do a LARGE scarf with some sistering and have it work out.

If you do the scarf route, then I would extend the chainplates to overlap onto good wood, and not just on the scarfed in piece. Also I might extend two pieces of stainless steel under the chainplates one on each side of the bulkhead to carry the load down to a known good point.

This photo is of a Valient 37 but will give you the idea...

It would also be a good to remove a very small area, 1/4 to 3/8 inch of deck from around the area where the ALUMINUM chain plates come through the deck so that the condition of the aluminum can be assessed. This is an area that can be severely corroded, (And judging from the lack of maintenance on the other chain plates will likely have been ignored).

For bulkhead removal:
I would carefully remove the trim on the bulkheads, it is generally reusable. And remove the bulkhead entirely, and replace it with a new one. This is a lot of work. A Fein Multimaster is good for removing the the tabbing from the hull and deck. Anything else is more work and leads to breaking other items that we don't want to break.

This would necessitate removal of some additional furniture, but not as much as you might think if you are careful. Then use the existing bulkhead as a template for the new one. (Note you can probably fit it closer than they did in the original production.) This would be the best fix, but a good scarf with SS sisters would probably do just fine as long as you make sure that all the loads on the rigging are correctly taken care of.

Guy

Attachments

• Survey 12-7-2006 086.jpg
    Survey 12-7-2006 086.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Survey 12-7-2006 087.jpg
    Survey 12-7-2006 087.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 56

wingonwing

Thanks for your time and Advice Guy. Our offer was excepted on the boat so were off to Portland in two weeks to have her surveyed. I'm glad the repair is not beyond my means in this area. I would never have thought of a large scarf as a temporary fix you just gave me an extra few days to deal with the deck repairs brilliant advice. When (if) I get out of Portland I will remove the bulkheads and replace them with a non porous material I was actually considering doing that for all the furniture (seen it done on another E 39' looked good I would replace the original trim though) . I just took it for granted that I would have to completely remove the bulkheads from the get go. I wont be able to have a full sea trial because they looked so bad the Surveyor advised against it. I was already going to remove the decking around the chain plates for inspection as well as the inner plate. If I need to replace the plates a machinist should be able to fashion them out of stainless no ?

It goes against my good sense but I'm going to be on a time line in Portland we can only afford to have have her on the Hard in a do it yourself yard for about a month and that's stretching it 12.50 a ft seemed pricy to me but there you go there aren't that many do it yourself yards left it seems. The boats been uncared for and sitting in fresh water for years. Fingers crossed the hull is sound. I'm actually scared to see what we got to deal with when she gets hauled for inspection. I keep hearing horror stories that Ericson in the 70's were experimenting with how they they performed their final finishes leaving paint to complete the finish with bad results . Fresh water/20 years/and no maintenance. I might believe in miracles but science always roars it's ugly head and shouts: "thems the facts me boy".

I'll be back to this thread soon I'm sure.. Thanks again Guy and happy sailing. Were off to find out why the #@$% it's going to cost $600 to transfer the title.. Theres got to be some other way around that leeward marker :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Portland?
Is this the E-39 that is for sale at a brokerage in Portland, Oregon?

LB

wingonwing

Ericson Portland

Aye, thats the one please dont tell me it's your boat !!! I was'nt very kind in descibing her... :esad: In saying that I would like to know more about the shape she's in.