Mystery Switch

I discovered an electrical switch located underneath the overhang of the starboard sail-locker, about eight inches above the engine electronics panel. It is a push-button, and is covered by a bullet-shaped rubber cover. I found no mention of this switch in the E-35 MKIII owners manual, and am wondering what is its purpose.
Alan (E-35 MKIII #261)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Are you sure it is not the starter solenoid? These often have push buttons on them so you can start the engine from inside the compartment. The solenoid will have a rather large wire going to the starter and then a few smaller wires. I had one of these on my old Triumph.

All the electrical components to my engine are inside the compartment on the port side. I would like to see some photos of your setup.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is not the starter solenoid? These often have push buttons on them so you can start the engine from inside the compartment. The solenoid will have a rather large wire going to the starter and then a few smaller wires. I had one of these on my old Triumph.

All the electrical components to my engine are inside the compartment on the port side. I would like to see some photos of your setup.
No, this switch is not located in the engine compartment; it is in the cockpit. The lid on the starboard sail-locker
has an overhang at its aft edge, and this rubber-covered push-button is located on the inboard corner under this overhang. The panel where you insert the engine key is about eight inches below the sail-locker overhang. Does this make it clearer?

Alan

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Could it be a secondary ignition switch making the boat difficult to start or hotwire if the hatch happens to be locked and the hot-wirer doesn't know it's there?

It wouldn't be a bulletproof theft prevention device--more like something designed to slow down and confuse a casual joyrider.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Now I get it Alan. I wasn't thinking. I have no idea what that could be. Any idea where the wires lead? Do you dare push it?

Sam Vickery

Member III
Battery Switch?

Alan,

I have a push button switch in the same location as yours. In the event my starting battery goes south, pushing this button allows me to use my house batteries to start the engine.

Hope this helps.

Sam
84 32-3

CaptDan

Member III
Now I get it Alan. I wasn't thinking. I have no idea what that could be. Any idea where the wires lead? Do you dare push it?

My boat had a similar arrangement; the previous owner did several ocean races and, apparently, he was concerned about boarding waves taking out the external igntion. So he wired an inboard protected assembly like yours. After a few close encounters necessitating immediate, unencumbered access to the starter switch, I went back to the original idea.:rolleyes:

Sure - go ahead and push the button. Just be sure the batteries are off.:egrin:

Seriously, to be on the safe side, trace the wires with a multimeter; in all likelyhood they'll lead to the starter motor and battery.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Capt. Dan,

I haven't pushed this button, but I plan on contacting the previous owner to ask if he knows what it is. If he's as cluless as I am, then my next step will be to try and trace the wires.

Any of my fellow E-335 MKIII owners have such a switch located in this location?

Alan[/quote]
My boat had a similar arrangement; the previous owner did several ocean races and, apparently, he was concerned about boarding waves taking out the external igntion. So he wired an inboard protected assembly like yours. After a few close encounters necessitating immediate, unencumbered access to the starter switch, I went back to the original idea.:rolleyes:

Sure - go ahead and push the button. Just be sure the batteries are off.:egrin:

Seriously, to be on the safe side, trace the wires with a multimeter; in all likelyhood they'll lead to the starter motor and battery.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Alan,

I have a push button switch in the same location as yours. In the event my starting battery goes south, pushing this button allows me to use my house batteries to start the engine.

Hope this helps.

Sam
84 32-3

For that to work that feed must always be hot unless there is a switch/fuse/breaker at the battery. I would be carefull with a setup like that. I am very leery of non protected power coming from the battery.

Sam,

Now that might be a possibility. The only problem I can see with that purpose is that you can't determine whether it is on or off, since it is covered by a rubber cone. Thanks for the info.

Alan
Alan,

Hope this helps.

Sam
84 32-3

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Mystery Button

Alan: must be that your PO had the same genius hook up the "Start" battery.

They added a third battery (the original design only had two) and ran the cables to what looked like an automotive starting solenoid, and holding that button you were able to use the starting battery to start the engine.......

It was really a stupid setup (yours may be better designed, and workable) but when I got the boat in order to use that battery I had to hold that button, hold the glo plug button and the engine starter button......lotsa fun!

I completly changed the system......Blue Seas ACR, Blue Seas combiner Switch, and 3 90 Amp Hr AGM Batteries......

Also did the mod under the owners projects designed by Tom Metzger.....In all it works just great.......brought the boat up to 2007....still good in 2009....

I Kept the original battery switch and ran the negative battery cable through it so there is no ground to the engine when the switch is off. It evidently is working, as I was replacing a Zinc every other month and now the Zinc is lasting 6 to 8 months.....likewise the pencil zinc in the heat exchanger......

My first attempt at downloading photos, but I think you can see what I have done....

Good Luck

Attachments

• PICT0004 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0004 (Medium).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 91
  • PICT0005 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0005 (Medium).JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Mort,

My E-35 MKIII is also an 87 model. Mine has a third battery located in the starboard sail locker, but I only have to push the glow plug and starter buttons. This mystery switch doesn't need to be pushed.

I went to do some work on the boat yesterday, and had a closer look at this mystery switch. The two wires coming from it lead straight down to the engine ignition panel. I still don't know what this switch is supposed to do, but I suspect that it may be used to disable the ignition panel, in the dubious hope that it would deter a theif.

Alan
Alan: must be that your PO had the same genius hook up the "Start" battery.

They added a third battery (the original design only had two) and ran the cables to what looked like an automotive starting solenoid, and holding that button you were able to use the starting battery to start the engine.......

It was really a stupid setup (yours may be better designed, and workable) but when I got the boat in order to use that battery I had to hold that button, hold the glo plug button and the engine starter button......lotsa fun!

I completly changed the system......Blue Seas ACR, Blue Seas combiner Switch, and 3 90 Amp Hr AGM Batteries......

Also did the mod under the owners projects designed by Tom Metzger.....In all it works just great.......brought the boat up to 2007....still good in 2009....

I Kept the original battery switch and ran the negative battery cable through it so there is no ground to the engine when the switch is off. It evidently is working, as I was replacing a Zinc every other month and now the Zinc is lasting 6 to 8 months.....likewise the pencil zinc in the heat exchanger......

My first attempt at downloading photos, but I think you can see what I have done....

Good Luck

Steve

Member III
Not OEM

Alan -
Clearly a custom add on. If it's a spring loaded push button switch, could it be the glow-plug rewired due to a Universal panel switch problem? Not sure of your engine year, but does it have a separate glow plug switch. Ours has a separate push button on the panel, I think later Universal panels had a starter/glow-plug combination switch. Perhaps your PO wanted a glow-plug manual over-ride?

Steve e35-3 #159

Alan

Clearly a custom add on. If it's a spring loaded push button switch, could it be the glow-plug rewired due to a Universal panel switch problem? Not sure of your engine year, but does it have a separate glow plug switch. Ours has a separate push button on the panel, I think later Universal panels had a starter/glow-plug combination switch. Perhaps your PO wanted a glow-plug manual over-ride?

Steve e35-3 #159[/quote
Steve,

The Universal engine ignition panel has a push-button for the glow plug, and it works fine.

I spoke to the PO yesterday, and he told me he didn't know what this mystery switch was used for either.

And speaking of mystery switches...
There is a toggle switch just to the left of the engine ignition key which is labeled "Oil." I don't know what it is supposed to do, and the PO didn't know either; he just left it in the same position as we have, and the engine runs fine. So the mystery continues, but now I have two mystery switches.

Alan (E-35-3 #261)
]

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The Oil switch is used when racing to spray oil in the faces of nearby competitors, especially those attempting to assert luffing rights.

Chris A.

Member III
Oil pressure warning light

If your universal panel is like mine, the oil label is actually for the warning lamp (indicating low oil pressure). The nearby toggle switch energizes a blower fan circuit for ventilating the engine compartment.

Don't know what your sail locker switch is for.

Glyn Judson

Mystery toggle switch.

All, This reminds me of a chap here in our little sailing group who years ago rigged a rheostat to his stern light that he used during several night races. He'd slowly dim the light leaving all behind him with the impression that he was pulling away from them. It was a great source of laughter and fist waving after the races. Glyn

Steve

Member III
Got Me?

Alan.. you got me here and likely everyone else. Your going to have to trace the wiring to the source and then figure from there. Perhaps it's as simple as a light. Any chance of some photos, we are always interested in looking at other boats and clearly enjoy a good mystery. Maybe the PO's PO had a NOX bottle ready to lite off when rocks were approaching or the USCG... etc... Although I like the rheostat idea...

Mort Fligelman

Member III
This switch is not a mystery!

Alan:

This switch is for the blower. I found mine almost disintegrated......only one wire hanging down connected to nothing.....

I saw the blower inline with the vent hoses leading to the clamshells on the stern.....

I put in a new switch....traced the wires and connected them....and VIOLA....a blower!!!!!!!

Not really needed for the diesel, but I find that motoring for an hour with the engine thermostate calling for 160 degrees, that running the blower keeps the cabin much cooler so that when I go to put all the junk away I do not suffer from the added engine heat......the longer you are in Florida the more this will appeal to you...

Let us know how you make out on this one....