Gybing Techniques / Associated Boom Gear

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Could you sheave the mainsheet back to the a winch near the helm? That way you could crank it in and gybe without leaving the helm.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Maybe, but I think I would need to first have 1 turn around the cabintop winch to keep the lead fair. I suppose it could be worth a try...

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Been on the road

Sorry for the long delay guys. I may have a bit overly zealous iin my answers on this topic, but I have seen as many broken booms and injuries from being pinned, or having the preventer break, as from not.

I would have to agree that there are times when it makes some sense (although I would be more likely to use it in the ligher air to keep the boom from moving too much), and when running in very rough conditions it could help keep the main from fllying across if you stick it by the lee a bit too far..I am just biased by seeing so many people not really have the ability to get the boat that deep without going too far, and getting pinned. That is why I tend to suggest they reach up a few degrees if they can't control the boat ddw.

Still, I'll back off on the position-still you won't often see it on anything I sail on.

Sorry for the zealousness-you guys know how I get sometimes!

Cheers