Fuel tank pull on E33RH

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I pulled my diesel tank a few years ago and haven't gotten around to re-installing it yet. With tank is out, it's pretty handy to re-work battery cables and other wires that are hard to access in the forward tank compartment. I rigged a temporary, plastic fuel tank while the aluminum one is out.

Last night, I finally got around to cutting inspection ports and begin cleaning the tank. There was about 3/4" of sludge in the bottom corner of the tank. The fuel pick-up tube sits about 1.5-2" above this bottom corner, so I can see how sediment contamination could become an issue on a long journey in churning seas. I didn't have any tank leakage, but I'm debating having that lower corner of the tank replaced, or, maybe having a second layer of aluminum welded on top of the existing layer.

View attachment 49161 View attachment 49162 View attachment 49163

I'm putting in Seabuilt access plates. Luckily, I bought them a few years ago. I think they were about $190. Now they run about $300!

View attachment 49170
Took my tank to Berrys tanks n LA for replacement on the weekend. It’s going to be made of 1/8” aluminum with same fittings but welded pickup tubes , two baffles, inspection port . I thought about reducing size to 30 gallons but decided to keep original capacity of 40 gal . Hopefully install is plug and play . I asked him to keep layout of pickup/return and filler / vent hoses .