E-38 Main Sheet

stbdtack

Member III
Shaun,
Hey congrats on your new 38! Shipped up from Alameda? Did you buy Sorcerer??

My outhaul is run over the center sheave in the front part of the boom and then down to a block at the mast collar. Over to the organizers and back to a spinlock PX camcleat. In the pic below its the 1/4" white line with the blue tracer.
With my old blown out sail I didnt adjust the outhaul very often(it didnt do much anyway) but with the new loose footed carbon sail it really controls the lower section shape dramatically. I'm find I'm adjusting it often.

Attachments

• deckorg1.jpg
    deckorg1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 118

wurzner

Member III
Yes, I bought Sorcerer from Roger over at Farallone. I spent the 24~26 sailing her on the bay and put on over 100 miles including a run out the gate. We never left before 1 and were never back after 7:00. The 3rd day we were only out for a few hours since we waited until 2PM to see if the 50 knot winds ever showed up (they didn't, it was only ~35).

She is a great boat and I can tell I'm going to have a lot of fun with her. The outhaul wasn't set up and I have some moveable blocks to the mast collar. Your photo really helps out. The have a winch on the cabin top between the mast and the cockpit on the starboard side. Kind of a weird place for it, but this may be for adjusting the outhaul. Per Seth, it for the amount of adjustment, it's nice not to have too much "spaghetti" in the cockpit. I will likely end up using that configuration since I like the crew to be as close to the deck when making adjustments. Since I'd only be screwing with it in higher winds, it makes sense to keep it off the boom.

Do you know anything about sorcerer?

Thanks for the photo.
shaun

stbdtack

Member III
Shaun,
That's a great boat! I have been on it many times. I worked for Farallone for a bit.
I know the PO had new rigging and the boat is in really nice condition. I think he did the transpac once but thats all I really know about it. You have a really nice anchor windlass installation. He did what i want to do in putting a glassed in shelf just beneath the FG anchor pan to take the load of the windlass. I poked around in the forepeak and its very nicely installed.

You re going to love sailing the boat! Wish I had known you were around, my 38 is at Gate 11, the next dock over from Farallone.

Good Luck!

BTW, did you move that huge microwave off the counter??

ben

wurzner

Member III
We were over at Gate 9 for the weekend. I had my brother come up from Carmel as well as my dad for a two days. I'm lucky it was nice for the 2 days my dad was on the boat; he's planning a week in the San Juans and Canadian gulf islands this summer. Sunday was another story altogether with massive winds. It was cool sailing down the estuary at 8 knots!
Yes, the microwave is still there. I may look for a smaller one to build in, but it works nice with the inverter for warming food up!

To bad they left the spinnakers in the aft locker, all the colour ran on them. The chicken chute is from a pearson 10M and is in good shape, it just looks like shit. The other one will be a good practice chute which will likely self destruct shortly. Once I sell my 32, I'll likely pick up a few sails.

regards
shaun

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I'de love to see some pictures of that windlass install. Where does the chain go to, do you have a second well or does it drain to the bilge? Can we move this thread?

wurzner

Member III
Guys,

I thought the windlass installation was standard configuration and as such, really didn't pay too much attention to it. The only issue is I have a leak between the anchor well that will need to be temporarily fixed with 4200 and most likely later on, with epoxy and microballons. I will take some photos and post them up here early next week. I don't have a digital camera anymore and I haven't gotten off my butt to buy a new one. One of the guys helping get the boat clean up does though so I'lltake some shots and post them.

regards
shaun

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
wurzner said:
On the hard in everett right now, but hopefully in the water by sunday. I compounded the hull last week and will do the same with Finisse this weekend. I also plan on painting the shear and boot strip, but it's going to be too cold. I'll do it anyway and live with it since I'm not keeping the boat on the hard for another week or 2 just due to the shear strip painting. Maybe a good heater and some tarps to get it a little warmer while it kicks off.

Let me know when you want to head up. I won't have the stick in for at least another week so you probably want to wait until then. Hell, we could do an Ericson bi-athlon and sail my 32 and then the 38 for comparision purposes. In all seriousness, let me know and we can go out for a sail.
regards
shaun

I'll send you a note back-channel... I'm free starting Monday afternoon and will be making my 'social calls' all next week (ie - fun visits with friends who I never get to see during the quarter because of work load...). We don't need to actually go out - I would just like to see the boat, etc...

//sse