E-38 Main Sheet

Art Mullinax

Member III
Make a rug

Maybe the extra 100' of line could be used to make a fancy coiled rope rug? Or, give it to one of your not so good dock mates. They'll be obligated to use it and you can snicker every time you see it:egrin:
Art M

meanjim

My E 38 (hull # 79) had the standard 3 blocks on the boom with one end of the sheet attached to the becket on the double block on the traveler anf the other led forward on the boom down to the cabin top and aft where it was trimmed on the winch. I hated trimming on the winch all the time so I replaced the double w/ becket on the travler car with a triple w/ cam cleat. Now most of the time I trim the main at the traveler car using the cam cleat. When the breeze is up you can still trim at the other end of the main sheet which stays on the winch. In essence the winch becomes a fine tune. I've not had any problems.

erobitaille

Member II
Main Sheet

Installed my new Garhauer blocks Monday. Center boom block with becket, forward and rear single blocks and a triple block on the traveler which gives me a 6:1 purchase.
Unfortunatly we could not take the boat out for a test but, my son and I did some before and after comparisions, pushing the boom out by hande sheeting in with one of holding the boom with a preventor etc. The ball bearing blocks are a huge improvement. The werr of the ball bearings is kind of cool too.

Can't wait to get her out and test the set up. I do need to repace the sheet line as I only have about 3' left when the boom is on the rail.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Sounds mean!

Jim,

This is another good soultion: Have the purchase system with the tail going to a winch (or stopper-then a winch), which leaves you with both options-

It comes down to sailing style and what you are interested in doing physically.

If you look at Ocean race boats for singlehanders, doublehanders and fully crewed you will see all of these systems optimized for the specific applications..They are ALL good-it just depends on what is actually required for the type of sailing being done.

Cheers,

S

clayton

Member III
I have photo to post of the mainsheet setup on my 32-200, however in checking the max file/image sizes, it doesn't look like I'll be able to upload the image. My file size is 1.5 mb, and max file upload size is 293 kb for a .jpg attachment. Any ways around this, or any suggestions? Thanks!
Clayton

clayton

Member III
E 38 Mainsheet

Here's a photo of the mainsheet setup, with a double fiddle w/ becket, 2 doubles, then singles to route to mast base and then clutches...

Attachments

• mainsheet 001_1_7_1.jpg
    mainsheet 001_1_7_1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 619

clayton

Member III
E 38 Mainsheet

And a close up of the double fiddle from Garhauer.
Clayton

Attachments

• mainsheet 004_1_4_1.jpg
    mainsheet 004_1_4_1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 559

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Wow thats like 9:1 purchase. Do you find it moves easily enough in light air or do you have to push out the boom by hand? I will have 7:1 when done.

clayton

Member III
E 38 Mainsheet

Ted -
In really light air I do push the boom out by hand, especially below 120 apparent, anything over 5 knots and the boom goes by itself. Going with a 3/8" sheet instead of the 7/16" I've got would probably make it easier going out, but it feels better sheeting in the 7/16", especially in heavier conditions. Aah, the compromises of sailboats... The reduced friction with the bb blocks is such an improvement over the old Lewmar singles that came with the boat, that I push the boom out by hand less now than with the old setup.
Clayton

wurzner

Member III
Folks, this is a good thread. I have a question that is quasi related. The 1986 E38-200 I just got shipped up from Alameda last week does not have the outhaul configured. I'm guessing it comes back to the cockpit (or at least I hope it does), but would appreciate hearing how you have it set up on your 38's. The key thing is finding an anchor point at the mast base that will keep consistent tension in the various boom locations (i.e, reaching, pointing, downwind) and I'm not sure that is possible without a bail of some kind. I'm thinking of putting a winch on the boom, but leading it aft would be my preference.

thanks in advance.

shaun

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
the infamous boom cleat?

ours just cleats off on the boom, and I must say that I change it very rarely... I wouldn't winch on the boom, but that's just MHO...
Hows the boat?
Chris

wurzner

Member III
Wow, sounds like yours is similiar to mine. My other boat (soon to be sold I hope) has a winch on the boom near the mast that I use a lot. In high winds, I really like to flatten it out and the outhaul is one of the vehicles I use for that aside from the traveller and vang. Not having the ability to get some kind of purchase on the outhaul seems really strange to me. We'll see what the other 38 owners have to say.

Aside from that, the boat is amazing. I've been really surprised at how tender it is based on 3 days of sailing on SF Bay last week. I was going to the first reef at about 18 apparent with a 90% furler. That seemed really low, but I picked up a knot in the process so flat is fast on this boat! We also had it out in around 35 knots with only the main and she handled really nicely, but at the cost of not pointing worth a s^%t. That is to be expected though and it is nice figuring out the different configurations for conditions, especially prior to my wife being on board.

I had a real hard time accessing the pump for the hold out tank. It ends up they changed it based on the photos I saw plumping work on the other 38 (I forget whos it is at this time). In the photos, I see the manual pump is below the sink. On my boat, it is behind the head. I tried to cut an access hole inside the sliding vanity, but the glass was way to thick (surprising since it is not structural). I ended up removing the sink and could barely reach behind to get to it. I will reinstall it below the sink like they did in later years likely for the reasons I have noted. I'll likely put a piece of teak over the old hole with something to the affect of (if your hitting this, you need to aim lower!).

I absolutely love the boat and having a nice fridge (the norcold works great) and an inverter is REALLY nice. I would say, the only upgrades I would anticipate over the next few years aside from sails are a forced air heater and radar. The rest will be routine maintenance or replacement of things that break.

The boat is remarkably fast and will be a lot of fun to cruise and race...I'm very happy to say the least. I'll be happier when I sell my E32 though.

regards
shaun

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hey Shaun -

Where is this new E38 of yours located? I would be interested in swinging by (maybe sometime next week - after finals) and taking a look, etc...

//sse

wurzner

Member III
On the hard in everett right now, but hopefully in the water by sunday. I compounded the hull last week and will do the same with Finisse this weekend. I also plan on painting the shear and boot strip, but it's going to be too cold. I'll do it anyway and live with it since I'm not keeping the boat on the hard for another week or 2 just due to the shear strip painting. Maybe a good heater and some tarps to get it a little warmer while it kicks off.

Let me know when you want to head up. I won't have the stick in for at least another week so you probably want to wait until then. Hell, we could do an Ericson bi-athlon and sail my 32 and then the 38 for comparision purposes. In all seriousness, let me know and we can go out for a sail.
regards
shaun

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Having just finished a new outhaul last night I can tell you what I did. OEM was 4:1 inside the boom, then running out of the goosenect sheaves down to the mast base and back to a horn cleat. I upped it to 10:1 using 2 ronstan 40mm fiddle blocks and a Harken H304 single. I used 3/16 spectra from the outhaul car to the H304 block. Spliced on cover for the part that is outside the boom. Then another piece of 3/16 spectra deadended at a pin at the gooseneck end and run through the H304 block and back to one of the ronstan fiddles. The other fiddle has a short piece of 3/16 spectra secureing it to a pin. I ran 5/16 yale conception through the fiddle blocks then they exit the boom to a ronstan cam cleat with a single ronstan 30mm just forward so you can pull from most any angle. I was lucky and had a friend who is an excellent splicer. Its hard to tell from the pictures what is inside the boom, also we drilled a hole in the outhaul car and then tapered it to a nice round shape to splice the outhaul to thereby eliminating another shackle. We also finished welding the stern pulpit modification to accept the hydralic backstay adjuster but thats for another post. My mainsheet will be 7:1 using Lewmar Racing 80mm blocks. I will have atriple with becket at the traveler, a double on the boom, and two singles on the boom. Got all the blocks new on ebay cheaply, just need the triple to finish the job. I also picked up a rigid vang that we will be installing soon. Still need the feathering prop and new headsails...

Attachments

• 1pic.jpg
    1pic.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 2pic_edited-1.jpg
    2pic_edited-1.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Ted,

Most excellent work you are doing on your boat! Can you add a photo of where you are attaching it at the base of the mast? I know what your doing, but would feel better if I could see a photo.

thanks
shaun

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The vang attaches to a fitting at the mast base to a fitting identical to the gooseneck. There is another vang and outhaul thread that has a picture of Ben's E-38 with the vang.

wurzner

Member III
Ted,

I wasn't clear on my email. I have a rigid vang and love it. I'm trying to figure out routing for the outhaul. Based on Ben's picture which isn't too clear, it looks like he has to reef lines going aft like mine. The while line appears to be the outhaul which is what I'm trying to figure out. Based on the boom location, it looks like you would be applying more tension to the outhaul. I can try it without a sail and see if that is true or not.
shaun

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Outhaul led aft/winches on boom

I am not a fan of outhauls led to the cockpit..This is a control that is not used too much (when cruising, anyway), and it adds considerably to the pasta factory back there. Ideally, as in the nice photo, have an internal purchase sufficient enough to make full range adjustments under load, or failing that,the winch on the boom will do the same, but not as elegantly-I would prefer the boom winch to led aft, though...

2 cents paid. can I have a reciept?

S