E 27 owners: Show me your Swim Ladder

Swim ladder on E-27

Guys,

I noticed that all the swim ladders are folding. They look cumbersome to me. The swim ladder on my E-27 is telescoping and permanently mounted. It can be reached and extended from in the water. Works like a charm. Probably had been on there for 12-15 years. Look into it. I believe it came from West Marine.

Glyn Judson

Ladder stand off legs too short.

Steve, I too had that problem with my seemingly identical ladder until taking it to a welding shop last year. In order for the legs to fit properly in the starboard gate, I had to cut some of the forward one off so it would confirm to the curve of the hull as it went aft leaving me with two legs of different length. This only worsened the problem of not enough room between the rungs and the side of the boat especially when boarding the boat. We could only gain purchase on the teak rungs with the toes of our shoes and forget trying it barefooted. The solution was to instruct the welder to lengthen the longest (aft) leg to a point that with the cane tip installed, it was just able to fold away without hitting the adjacent vertical tube. Once that measurement was established, let's say 4" for the sake of this description, he then added the same length to the shorter one, the result being that the ladder now stood of the hull properly and both legs still contacted the hull when open and folded closed without obstruction. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Guys,

I noticed that all the swim ladders are folding. They look cumbersome to me. The swim ladder on my E-27 is telescoping and permanently mounted. It can be reached and extended from in the water. Works like a charm. Probably had been on there for 12-15 years. Look into it. I believe it came from West Marine.

Morgan, do you have a photo? I would love to see how it's permanently mounted.

Jeff

steven

Sustaining Member
Morgan,

I looked for a telescoping ladder but could not find one that was long enough and perm mount. If you have one, second Jeff's request for a photo and, if available, the name of supplier.

--Steve

Glyn Judson

Telescoping boarding ladder.

Steve, A quick search at the West Marine web site and an even quicker hike to the Garelick site shows me telescoping ladders. If they don't show one long enough or the right design for your needs, give them a call at 651.459.9795 and tell them what you want them to make for you. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Telescoping ladder

I have the picture you guys wanted in my camera. I don't quite know how to get it posed on the E-site. Maybe I will figure it out. The ladder is permanently mounted on the starboard transom. The ladder, in it not-in-use position is inverted. To get to it from the water, one just pulls out on the base, the ladder swings down, the top resiting against a 1x1x12" strip of teak, painted white to match the hull, that holds the ladder at a slight angle away from the boat, making boarding easier. And the ladder telescopes down into the water. Bingo. There have been times when the skipper has forgotten to put it away and it drags in the water. No harm done. It kicks up a little bit, but that is all. In size, closed up, it's about 12"x12". That's just a guess.

Not sure, but may have uploaded the photo. If I have not, send me an e-mail (mstine7611@earthlink.net) and I will send you the photo. The shot involved is interesting. It was taken from an Endeavor 36-foot catamaran a number of years back. I am sailing with a 30-year-old working jib and the cat couldn't keep up with me unless it ran its engine. It was truly a cat that sailed like a dog.

Attachments

• Ladder.jpg
    Ladder.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 981
Swim ladder

It's on the starboard side. Pictured in the "up" position. Dimensions are about 12x12". There is a 1x1x12 piece of teak, painted white, screwed into transom to give the tubes something to rest against and give the ladder a little aft rake, which makes climbing it far easier. May have cost me $60. I am not sure. It was a long time ago.

Attachments

• Ladder.jpg
    Ladder.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,104

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
It's on the starboard side. Pictured in the "up" position. Dimensions are about 12x12". There is a 1x1x12 piece of teak, painted white, screwed into transom to give the tubes something to rest against and give the ladder a little aft rake, which makes climbing it far easier. May have cost me $60. I am not sure. It was a long time ago.

Thank you Morgan, the photos are very helpful. I would prefer to mount one amidships on the starboard side. I have a inboard and my transom has a petty elaborate boat name graphic on it that I don't want to cover up. Also, don't you have to climb up and over the stern pulpit to get on board? I think it would work for me if I had a opening in the stern pulpit, onec again, like the Catalina 27's.