E 27 owners: Show me your Swim Ladder

Capt. Max

Member II
I'm planning on making a new ladder for my boat and I'm looking for ideas.
I have an outboard on the back of mine , so going over the transom is a
little tougher. I'm thinking about over the side just forward of the cockpit
so that it lines up with the stanchion to use as a handhold.
I would love to see some pictures of what you have on your boats.
Thanks...

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Wooden ladder

This is not a very good picture, but it's the only one I've got. This was taken in September 2009, and the swim ladder (an old wooden one) continues to be the only swim ladder. It's on the list of projects to replace, but I simply haven't gotten to it yet.

Attachments

• IMG00257.jpg
    IMG00257.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,026

Capt. Max

Member II
Thanks.
Does that ladder drag at all?
Is it hard to get over the stern rail?
My wife struggles a little more than I do with coming and going on ladders;
that why I ask.
We are going to take my boat to the Bahamas this fall.
At home we use the dock most of the time and have a crummy stow away
ladder (that takes up space) but dont have to use it that often.
With alot of swimming and almost all dinghy action A solid ladder is going
to be A must. Thanks for your help.

dt222

Member III
My ladder

I know this is an inboard, but could you use the same approach but off-set to one side?

Don

Attachments

• ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,022

siemiap

Off set ladder on Captin's Quarters

This is my boat (prior to adding the name). ladder offset

Attachments

• Boat Spring 2010 025.jpg
    Boat Spring 2010 025.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 917

dt222

Member III
Not sure

It was there on the boat when I bought it last year. I'm thinking it was a stock item. I'll try and look to see if there is a logo on it when I get back home this weekend.

Don

dt222

Member III
Looks Custom

Is your ladder stock or was it custom made? Its exactly what I want for or 29

I looked all over the ladder, and there were no manufacturer's marks so my guess is that it was custom made. I have a bill os sale from 1982 listing it in an inventory, so I know it's not a recent addition.

Don

dt222

Member III
Dimension

I know this is asking a lot, but could you give me the dimensions and a couple more pics?

OK, here you go.

The ladder is in 2 sections- total length 51 1/2". The top section is 30". Unit is 15" wide (outside dimension). Rungs are 12" apart.

The bottom section folds up into the top section, then the whole unit swings up and I secure it with a small bungie to the stern lifeline (the lifeline runs between the sections of the stern pulpit.

One picture shows the inside stern plates that the attachment brackets are attached to (think of it as a "T" shaped bracket. The bracket sticks out from the stern 3 7/8", and is 1 1/2" wide.

If you need anything else, just let me know.

Don

Attachments

• DSCF0099.jpg
    DSCF0099.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0100.jpg
    DSCF0100.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0102.jpg
    DSCF0102.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0103.jpg
    DSCF0103.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0104.jpg
    DSCF0104.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 68

AleksT

Member III
Finally was able to test my swim ladder this weekend. It works well but I am going to make a slightly longer one so I can have a rung or two above me when I climb up. Right now I have to grab the boom when climbing into the boat. (the ladder construction is described in Marlinspike sailor.)
Photo0140.jpg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Swim Ladder

My Swim Ladder clips on just above the rub rail on the starboard side. Tends to pop out easily, but it works.

Attachments

• SwimLadder.jpg
    SwimLadder.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,199

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I like yours Jeff, Does it work well?
Thanks to all that reply.

It works okay. Strong enough. When I bought the boat, it already had the brackets, but no ladder. So I bought a ladder that used similar brackets so I didn't have to drill holes for the new ones. The ladder fits the holes in the bracket, but tends to pop out from time to time. I keep a line on the ladder because if it does come completely off it would sink. I just make sure that everyone who uses it should be aware of it and distribute their weight evenly on the ladder. I would prefer a stern ladder with a space in the stern pulpit like a lot of the Catalina 27's have. The ladder I have stows easily though.

I got it from West Marine years ago. I noticed they do not carry them anymore. Probably because of the popping out factor. Mine kinda looks like the one in this pic. Personally, If I were to get another boat that needs a swim ladder, I don't think I would get this type. btw it cost about $135.

I would like something that would be more permanently mounted and deploy easier, especially for a MOB situation.

Attachments

• foldable-22mmtube-ladder-08.jpg
    foldable-22mmtube-ladder-08.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 922

Glyn Judson

Boarding ladder style and location.

All, Let me first say that what I'm about to describe is very pricey but could be a life saver. Years ago I almost drowned after falling off the dinghy tube right on the port side of our boat. Marilyn was at the helm of the Avon and I was sitting on the side deck in the gate with my feet on the floor of the dinghy. There was a lot of surge so I had to time my next move carefully, the object being that I would end up sitting on the tube with my feet in the boat. Well so much for my timing because when I "shoved off" so to speak, the dinghy moved away from the side of the boat and I fell into the drink butt first. I was wearing Levi's and an anorak, both of which weighed me down and to add insult to injury, the anorak acted as a sea anchor. For every thrust of my arms up, I'd go down a wee bit more. We have four pair of boarding steps on the transom-hung rudder and getting to them was near impossible. I honestly thought that my day had come. To make matters worse, Marilyn thought it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen and laughed longer than safe before firing up the little Honda 2 in an attempt to get me. With one of my last thrusts I grabbed the lifeline on the side of the dinghy. Other than risking having my toes chopped off by her revving the he** out of the engine and dragging my feet astern, she delivered me to the rudder. My next effort involved walking slightly away and backwards from the boat due to the aft rake of the transom and where the steps need to be placed by necessity. Needless to say that by the time I'd hauled myself up and over the stern rail, I was unbelievably exhausted. The decision was made right then and there to get a midship boarding ladder (the safest location to board especially in any kind of a sea) and the one I thought most suitable for all around use was/is the 70" foldaway made by Mystic Stainless http://www.mysticstainless.com/foldaway.html It's a heart stopping $788.00 with a pair of mounts included but we both judged and agreed that it's a pittance to pay for possibly save someones life. The beauty of the ladder's design is that the it attaches to the boat by means of spring loaded pins in cars that simply slide onto our 1 1/4" Genoa track. The only added work if you can call it that was to center the ladder in the starboard gate, mark the car locations and drill holes for the pins. As it turned out, only one hole needed to be drilled in the Genoa track. When not in use, it folds neatly into the gate and is held in place with a wide piece of Velcro that I replace every few years or so due to UV degradation. The only difference between ours and the one illustrated at the Mystic site is that I added a trip line to the Velcro, the other end tied around a stanchion base. This way a person in the water can easily grab the coiled line that sits on the side deck and with a moderate pull, deploy the ladder from the water. As luck would have it, we were flying east the next week and stopped by their shop in Mystic CT and carried the ladder home on our return flight. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
I was fortunate enough to have inherited one of these with my newly-acquired 35-2, and can vouch for the relative ease of deployment and margin of safety over what I had before. Having it fixed and readily deployable has added to my confidence in being able to use it in an emergency.

Glyn, great idea with the velcro/trip line. I think I'll try that! Thanks!

All, Let me first say that what I'm about to describe is very pricey but could be a life saver. Years ago I almost drowned after falling off the dinghy tube right on the port side of our boat. Marilyn was at the helm of the Avon and I was sitting on the side deck in the gate with my feet on the floor of the dinghy. There was a lot of surge so I had to time my next move carefully, the object being that I would end up sitting on the tube with my feet in the boat. Well so much for my timing because when I "shoved off" so to speak, the dinghy moved away from the side of the boat and I fell into the drink butt first. I was wearing Levi's and an anorak, both of which weighed me down and to add insult to injury, the anorak acted as a sea anchor. For every thrust of my arms up, I'd go down a wee bit more. We have four pair of boarding steps on the transom-hung rudder and getting to them was near impossible. I honestly thought that my day had come. To make matters worse, Marilyn thought it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen and laughed longer than safe before firing up the little Honda 2 in an attempt to get me. With one of my last thrusts I grabbed the lifeline on the side of the dinghy. Other than risking having my toes chopped off by her revving the he** out of the engine and dragging my feet astern, she delivered me to the rudder. My next effort involved walking slightly away and backwards from the boat due to the aft rake of the transom and where the steps need to be placed by necessity. Needless to say that by the time I'd hauled myself up and over the stern rail, I was unbelievably exhausted. The decision was made right then and there to get a midship boarding ladder (the safest location to board especially in any kind of a sea) and the one I thought most suitable for all around use was/is the 70" foldaway made by Mystic Stainless http://www.mysticstainless.com/foldaway.html It's a heart stopping $788.00 with a pair of mounts included but we both judged and agreed that it's a pittance to pay for possibly save someones life. The beauty of the ladder's design is that the it attaches to the boat by means of spring loaded pins in cars that simply slide onto our 1 1/4" Genoa track. The only added work if you can call it that was to center the ladder in the starboard gate, mark the car locations and drill holes for the pins. As it turned out, only one hole needed to be drilled in the Genoa track. When not in use, it folds neatly into the gate and is held in place with a wide piece of Velcro that I replace every few years or so due to UV degradation. The only difference between ours and the one illustrated at the Mystic site is that I added a trip line to the Velcro, the other end tied around a stanchion base. This way a person in the water can easily grab the coiled line that sits on the side deck and with a moderate pull, deploy the ladder from the water. As luck would have it, we were flying east the next week and stopped by their shop in Mystic CT and carried the ladder home on our return flight. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Finally was able to test my swim ladder this weekend. It works well but I am going to make a slightly longer one so I can have a rung or two above me when I climb up. Right now I have to grab the boom when climbing into the boat. (the ladder construction is described in Marlinspike sailor.)
View attachment 9223

This is off topic, but is that some kind of solar panel at the top of that pole attached to your stern pulpit shown in your photo? btw, looks like your at the Isthmus here. Right?

AleksT

Member III
This is off topic, but is that some kind of solar panel at the top of that pole attached to your stern pulpit shown in your photo? btw, looks like your at the Isthmus here. Right?

Yes that is a solar panel on a stick (dowel actually). Don't have any specs on it but I do know there is voltage when it is in the sun. And the photo was taken at the at the Isthmus.