Anchor Locker Flooding

gibbo_xv

Hi I recently bought a 1984 35ft Mark III. During heavy rain the anchor locher floods, clearly I have a blockage in the drain for the locker.

Has anyone solved this problem before, if so any quick tips to share with a very excited new boat owner.

Thanks Gibbo

lbertran

Member III
E35-3 Anchor Locker Drain

This is a pretty easy fix. You might try putting a hose nozle or inflatable pump nozle right on the anchor locker drain and let the water or air pressure clear the blockage. If it's too stubborn for that treatment, the drain hose is accessible inside the v-berth forepeak locker. You can remove the hose and either unblock and reuse or just replace it.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Assuming it is the same as on an E-34, I use a 14" piece of #6 insulated solid copper wire that I poke into the drain hole at the bow to clear out the debris. There is a length of rigid tube glassed to the thru hull that the flexible hose is clamped over. This is where the garbage collects, a few inches up from the thru hull. It usually takes several applications to remove all of it, but I am in an area where I get a lot of stuff in my anchor locker (zebra mussel shells, plants, etc). It can be done either from the dock or a dinghy.

Any other stiff wire (coat hanger) would work as well, but I use the same piece of wire for getting to difficult electrical connections such as applying 12 volts to the solenoid to start the engine. It's a handy addition to my on board tool box.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Gibbo,

I too was experiencing the slow drain program in the anchor locker. Last weekend I finnally did what I had been putting off during the summer and removed the chain/extra chain and the rode for a serious cleaning. Having been raised on a small farm I always have a small roll of bailing wire at hand. This worked fine from the bottom up and cleared the tube. I think that any piece of wire would work if it is stiff enough.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Drano!

I know I'm out of my league, but 2 thoughts! My E23 didn't have a locker SO I built one! I glassed in a floor and drilled a 3/8" hole thru the side of the boat(not elegant but trouble free)! I intend to add a baby "clam-shell" to make it look pretty. Copied that idea from a large boat I admired! Helps keep "saltwater" out of the bilge, if yours doesn't go to a thru-hull.

After cleaning the drain tube of debris install a S.S. screen(kitchen drain strainer) over the drain to keep said "stuff" out of the drain tube in the future! Some preventative maintenance req'd.!

Last edited: