What model am I looking at?

Formosity

I am seriously considering buying a 1982 E 25+. But it has a skeg rudder. The interior is sparse, to be kind. There is no wood except the mast support and trim. The sails are good, but replacement, so they are blank - no insignia nor number. Any advice on what to look for on this boat? I never owned this type of rudder before. Thanks.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hull diagram seems to show a spade rudder, with no skeg attached to or supporting it. (Which is what I would expect.)
OTOH, there is a hull bottom molding of a shallow skeg-like feature which provides a tiny bit of lateral plane aft, albeit above the spade rudder and not a part of it.
Have you a link to share or some pictures?

Thanks,
Loren

Last edited:

Formosity

No pictures available

Thanks for the input. I believe I am disclosing the height of my pinnacle of ignorance. No, the only pictures I have of this particular boat do not show the bottom of the stern. I think it is a standard (if gutted) 1982 e25+. What do I need to check before I buy it? I am unfamiliar with any rudder other than a transom rudder. Thanks for helping me ID the rudder.
Joseph

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Be sure to check the compression post block between the cabin sole and the hull. Mine was rotten and allowing the compression post to drop by almost 3/4". It didn't stop me from buying the boat, but it would have been much better if I didn't have to deal with it in the first place.

Also check any fittings with bolts going through the balsa core By unzipping the head liner and inspecting the color of the core and checking for discoloration on the back of the liner. I found some dark spots but talked myself into thinking it was just minor water damage. I think I might have some core repairs in my future.

Even with these issues, I would buy the boat again in a heart beat. It feels much bigger than its 25' would lead you to believe. I still can't find a boat I would rather have within 10k of what you can pick a 25+ up for. Good luck!

Formosity

Compression post not rotted, but . . .

I did check the compression post. It is not rotted. But it DOES move around at the foot with the mast down. What's up with that? I will have to check those fittings. But I will be paying $2,000.00 so I think I will be OK.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
the actual compression post isn't the issue. It's the block beneath the post. Mine looked ok, but when I cut into the glass holding the block in place, I could scoop out what was left with my hand. A good tell tale sign is a gap between the bottom of the bulkhead and the slot in the cabin sole. I would guess there is something going on with the block of the cabin sole if its flexing around the base of the post. I'll try to attach some pics when I get back to a computer.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Here are the pics I mentioned in the previous post. When the block breaks down, the compression post pushes down on the cabin sole creating the gap between the bulkhead and the cabin sole. The cabin top and compression post can only sink until the cabin top contacts the top of the bulkhead and the load is then supported by the bulkhead. It doesn't look like much, but I did notice the cabin sole flexed when I walked around the base. After I replaced the block with a stainless steel jack screw, the sole is rock solid. If you are seeing some movement in the post with the mast load removed, I'm guessing the block isn't providing the support it should.

Attachments

• IMAG0221[1].jpg
    IMAG0221[1].jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0220[1].jpg
    IMAG0220[1].jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG1181.jpg
    IMAG1181.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 60

Formosity

Whole new conundrum i.e. Whut???

The seller texted me the title to this boat. The title says it is an "Erika" and it is 24 feet long. Ever heard of an Ericson being titled as an Erika? It looks for all the world like an e25+ but the little two burner propane (not gimbaled) stove is on the starboard and a tiny little sink is on the port side. Now I am really wondering what it is that I am looking at. Although it looks like a nice boat, I don't really want to buy it if it is not an Ericson. Or at least some make that Sailboatdata.com has heard of. Google Erika 24 and you will get something about Ana Capri Erika 24. Sailboatdata.com has nothing on any permutation of the name(s):confused:
The serial number on the title is DGCSB019W81K. Is this a possible Ericson hull number?

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Not an Ericson

That HIN number is not an Ericson one. Ericsons usually start with ERY. Also, I think there was a typo in the HIN you provided (many titles have messed up HINs), that "W" near the end should be an "M". Attached is the data retrieved for that HIN.

I've never heard of "Coast Yachts Inc" of Nebraska before, but perhaps someone else on this forum has.

HINSearch_DGC.PNG

Last edited:

Formosity

Coastal yachts . . . . who??

Thanks Cory. More and more I am thinking I do not want this boat. I have never heard of an Erika and can't find any specifications. And I have never heard of Coastal Yachts, although apparently they are for real. Out of business, but real. The boat looks nice, but you can't tell much just by looking at one on a trailer. I'm just going to wait.