Upgraded to an Ericson 35...

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You can always add a shelf or a box of your own design, attaching to the rail guard with those plastic rail clamps in the photos.

A new, higher rail guard is not expensive--$100--if you need one. The fabricator will likely want to make it 90 degree angles, because a radius requires them to build a custom jig.

1-instruments file-012 - Copy.jpg1-binnacle Ericson 38 close.Movie_Snapshot - Copy.jpg

TS Farley

Member II
Oh, very nice indeed. I am so envious! But I think the sheet could get caught on the corner of the box on my boat. Your traveller is ahead of the companion way so it is not a problem. I'm thinking a simple gently curved backing between the sheet and the plotter might just work if I can figure out how to attach both things. Or a box like yours housing the plotter but between the posts, that could work.....likely will have to custom make that myself.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It might be cool to make a shield out of 3/8th acrylic (maybe gray, #6024)--the same stuff our hatch lenses are made off.

It's easy to work and local plastic shops usually have scraps.

Now back to my own, er, First-World Problems....

TS Farley

Member II
A carved wooden shield covered in fiberglass and epoxy, to match the other brightwork, attached behind a plotter mounted like Mark's. Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the guard.... you can always have it lengthened also (i.e. made taller). I had ours "extended" several inches to provide room for a 9" Lowrance display underneath, on a little frp bracket I made from from some G10 angle.

Loren

TS Farley

Member II
That's a great suggestion. The continuous curve would look better than the straight (on my boat, Christian, yours looks great!) and is less likely to hook the sheet. And yes, it would be best to keep the screen above the wheel rim. Mark's screen looks quite visible from the angle the photo is taken but I suspect I am a bit shorter and it could disappear behind the wheel from a sitting position, even with the bumper seat. Having the plotter inside the rail would also obviate the need for the wires to exit from the top/outside of the guard as they do now. They would be less likely to get damaged exiting from the inside along the side of the guard. An elegant solution..... functional and decorative. Can't wait to get started.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, how do they do that? Sleeved? Wish I had known....

I took the guard to a welder fitter who does marine work. He cut it and put in another piece of tubing on each side with internal sleeves. Wire fed weld at the line where the tubes met. Ground and polished, there is no way to tell where the lengthening was done.

(Adding another piece to each side at the bottom would have been more difficult overall because of the already-existing holes for previous instruments in both uprights, along with a hole for the wire for the AP wheel drive. And, those wiring exits were aligned with the guard support plate.)
Here is a picture with the G10 angle piece from McMaster-Carr, from before it was painted white, in final finish form. It's an earlier picture with the long-gone Garmin mounted on it. I attached it with ss U-bolts, also from Mc-C.
The idea was to keep the plotter somewhat protected under the guard, and to have enough room at the top to easily get a hand around the guard when footing in the cockpit starts getting sporty.

Attachments

• lockedInPlacelorez.jpg
    lockedInPlacelorez.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good to know, if there's ever a next time. I too made sure to have plenty of "grab", and it sure comes in handy.

adam

Member III
Don't mind the hijacking of the thread at all. Enjoying the conversation and ideas for projects for me to get to someday...

:)

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This is how the plotter is attached to the pedestal. I have had the mainsheet wrap around the pedestal guard but so far no issues with the plotter.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg