Upgraded to an Ericson 35...

celtic sea

Member III
What, have you changed it out since? What did you go with? I have a two Blade prop, any suggestions?
Thanks John
E35-2

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The need for speed

When I bought Cinderella I had a 2gm20f. According to others, yanmars are great engines. As far as power goes, I couldn't get to hull speed, but I have a feeling that may have as much to do with the prop as the engine. I think I did about 5 kts at 3500 (when the engine decided to start anyway).

-P

I used a basic hull speed calculator and got 6.8 kts. With a clean hull, efficient prop, and smooth water, it should happen.
Note that resistance to increasing speed goes up quickly at this point, and that speed below this point takes relatively less hp.
i.e. you can motor at 6.kts with minimal effort.

In real world terms, your boat (and mine) should be motoring at 6 kts with ease. Up to that point the graph of speed vs hp is still climbing tho flattening out.

But then, I betcha the number of sailboats with an optimal prop is a low percentage, including even the "it'll do" fixed two blade props installed by most factories. :rolleyes:

In favor of speed for your design is having modest beam and modest displacement.

I hope other owners can chime in.

FWIW, it took me many years and several prop changes to be able to gain that last half kt, and continuously motor at 7 kts, at 2650 rpm.
(While our boat has a bit more DWL, we weigh only about 1K# less, and we are are almost a foot wider.)

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My E38 with M40 has a three-bladed prop and WOT is about 2800 and 7 knots. That's when the transom submerges and drag stops her.

Cruise is about 2200 rpm at 6 knots +.

Idle is 800 or so, and the tach has never been calibrated.

gadangit

Member III
We have a 3 blade MaxProp that replaced a fixed 3 blade prop. I didn't notice any appreciable changes to motoring speed, but the sailing speed and point increased significantly. Does it justify the price? I think so. The debate has points on both sides.

Slight thread jack...
Christian- Have you estimated your rate of fuel consumption at cruising speed? Assuming reasonable sea state and wind conditions? Fixed prop?

My E38 with M40 has a three-bladed prop and WOT is about 2800 and 7 knots. That's when the transom submerges and drag stops her.

Cruise is about 2200 rpm at 6 knots +.

Idle is 800 or so, and the tach has never been calibrated.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I have a M25xp 23hp. A two bladed fixed prop. My knot meter reads 5.7knts. Loren tells me my knot meter needs to be calibrated badly. He ran with me across the straights and says it is actually 6.5 kn. I, lie about the slowpoke E-34. I much prefer the two blade prop as the sailing performance is enhanced and that's what I bought a sailboat for. :egrin:

TS Farley

Member II
Ericson 35 MII - yes more of the same model still exists.... :)

Hi,
Just noticed your post. I have the same model vintage 1976. It's been wonderful for cruising on the BC and Alaska coasts. It's had a few alterations, upgrades and repairs over the years.

The original Westerbeke was replaced with a Betamarine 30. Being under the stairs directly below the companionway makes the engine easy to access, provided you have a friend who is a commercial fisherman with a suitable boat.

IMG_2825.jpgIMG_2834.jpg

The navigation desk lid was hitting the HF radio and would not open all the way so a new navigation cabinet was built over the bulkhead. The seat on the other side was a bit too wide to be comfortable anyways so a couple of slanted cupboards were added underneath the nav station for paper chart storage.

IMG_0166.jpg IMG_0151.jpg

The rest of the interior is pretty much the same. I'll post photos on another reply.

It's a great design. I hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as I have from mine.

A question about wiring. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to reroute the wires from the panel to the starboard side for lights and outlets? The bundle is rather unattractive in black covering crossing the companionway as seen in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 195

TS Farley

Member II
more interior photos......

The rotten bulkhead under the chain plates needed repair.
IMG_0703.jpg

The interior in it's original state.....a bit of a wet cruise, condensation behind the lens.
IMG_1269.jpgIMG_0822.jpg

Makes for a great cruising boat!
IMG_9426.jpg

celtic sea

Member III
IMAG1352.jpg
Nice, I wonder why my 75 is a bit different then all others I have seem, the port sette it has a fold down table and it's like the starboard side as you can see. Never seen another with this configuration. Also my lifelines don't have the extra mount for gate opening.
John
1975 E35-2
Dijan

TS Farley

Member II
Hmm, that is an odd configuration of the sette. You would think that the seat would be too wide. Also odd that there would not be a gate in the life lines. I had a pair of extra stanchions placed because the life lines were rubbing against the standing rigging but the gate was already there. It is the landmark for the sling at haulout.

IMG_1316.jpg

celtic sea

Member III
I know, isn't it, and the po removed the table and doesn't have it anymore.The head was the original to, direct discharge no holding tank. (CG doc. Vessel, need to fix this) I'm currently replacing both head thru hulls with new and proper seacocks. I'll install a holding tank under the v-berth port side. Need to modify the area though. The prior po did a complete refit years ago so the chainplates were replaced and area refiberglassed. The bulkhead is in bad shape and I have that portion cut out, I'll install some core and refiberglass that to. He had the rudder shaft tube refiberglassed as well as renewing the motor shaft tube and everything else. Everything good to go but head, bulkhead and electronics. Should be ready by may/june. New yanmar, only 20 hrs. Should be good there. Rigging is good too. Looking forward to sailing this boat!
John
1975 E35-2
Dijan (Diane)

TS Farley

Member II
Lot's of work but so very worth it!
This is the original holding tank that goes in under the sette seat. Ronco does not have an equivalent model so this one was resurfaced and will hopefully last a few more years. The location is good because one of the water tank takes up much of the v-berth. This model of tank is also good because the intake and output openings are at the top rather than the bottom. There is no chance of leakage at the hose connections. There is not a huge storage volume but it has a macerator pump.

IMG_1177.jpgIMG_1180.jpg

I'm going to put in a salt water foot pump for the sink this year. That should make the fresh water last a while longer.

Good luck with your projects!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Forgive me. Every time I visit this thread all I see is this photo:

pet snail.jpg

Large pet snail? Foam replica of dinosaur gall bladder? What is it?

Probably it is obvious, and I;ll catch on eventually.

celtic sea

Member III
Funny Christian, I was wondering the same thing. I think it's a large snail of some sort from Alaska maybe?

John
1975 E35-2
Dijan

celtic sea

Member III
In my v-berth on the port side is enough room for the tank but there is a pull out drawer that I'll have to remove and just pull off the face of it and reinstall. As you see my port sette is unconventional, I checked there and def no room there. My first concern is to get the two thru hulls changed out, at least then we can get back into the water come May. I've been working on it through these last few months as time permits. Getting there, it's a project of it own.
John
E35-2
Dijan
IMAG1581.jpg

TS Farley

Member II
Ha ha, what, the high quality millwork doesn't jump out at you?

The creature is a snail, a hand carved gift from a friend that built me a a circular staircase. It went on the end of the hand rail, "snail on a rail." I sold the house but kept the snail. The shell looks a lot like the moon snail from the Pacific North West so I thought it was appropriate to make it part of the crew. Or a mascot at least. And it matches the hand carved dolphin from the Lee Valley wood carving course. :)

IMG_1138.jpgIMG_3598.jpg

I know some Ericson owners who were expanding their holding tank capacity by putting a larger tank in the port side of the v-berth as well. Unfortunately the attachments ended up a few inches proud through the v-berth boards. Not sure what they ended up doing.

The Ronco tank that I ordered, that did not fit, is going to be an expensive flower container in the garden along with the hanging strawberry-plant propane tank.

TS Farley

Member II
Another E 35 design conudrum......

Ok, here's another question about the 35 design. Does everyone attach their chart plotter to the binnacle hand rail? The main sheet seems to like to wrap itself around anything there and either throw it over board (portable VHF radio) or simply detach it (the GPS antenna attachment on the chart plotter on the Ram mount.)

IMG_3494.jpg

I'd love to have the traveller in front of the companionway but that would require a lot of structural reinforcement. Mounting a plotter on a swing arm in the companionway is a thought, but it is not easy to see it, let alone access it, there from the helm. I suppose I could sail more carefully but that is not likely to happen. So I get by with Navionics on the iPhone and a depth sounder. The iPhone is attached to the binnacle with a Ram mount when motoring but I am afraid to leave it there in rough weather. So I keep it in a jacket pocket where the Navionics app has been pocket deleted at a most inopportune moment. (This explains the place of honour under the nav station for the paper charts.) I was wondering about some kind of curved cover between the main sheet and the electronics attached to the binnacle. Has anyone done this?

Last edited:

TS Farley

Member II
Sorry to have high jacked your thread Adam. I should have started a new one.
Best of luck with your projects and happy sailing this summer!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Vivian,

On my E27 I mounted the plotter behind the compass and under the top of the pedestal guard. Here is a photo from the helm, I cant find a photo of the attachment point on the front side of the binnacle. plotter1.jpg

TS Farley

Member II
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the photo......was wondering what other people did. Yes, mine was a bit higher and more exposed but I imagine the GPS antenna attachment, with the plotter placed lower down like yours, could still potentially get hit by the main sheet. I'm thinking, when/if I replace the plotter, of placing a fiberglas sheet behind the plotter to protect the GPS attachment.
How is your plotter attached?

Last edited: