transmission fluid forUniversal M12

Breeze26

On my Erison 26-2 I have of course the Universal M12, with Hurth transmission. Getting in to check the oil is a pain in the "```"; it is in the rear of the engine underneath the heat exchanger and it looks like a hex head screwtop that needs to be removed--any advice or suggestions? I have never had any problems with my transmission, but want to asssure myself I won't!

Thanks Steve Hall
Ericson 26 "Breeze"

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
looks like a hex head screwtop that needs to be removed
Yes and it also has a dipstick attached to it. To check the level loosen and remove the cap/dipstick, wipe and then insert it back in without screwing it in at all. Should be right at the line no more, no less.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
On my Erison 26-2 I have of course the Universal M12, with Hurth transmission. Getting in to check the oil is a pain in the "```"; it is in the rear of the engine underneath the heat exchanger and it looks like a hex head screwtop that needs to be removed--any advice or suggestions? I have never had any problems with my transmission, but want to asssure myself I won't!

Thanks Steve Hall
Ericson 26 "Breeze"
If you wanted to, you could relocate the heat exchanger to a different spot, since there is no reason it has to be mounted above the transmission. For example, our E26's have a wooden platform just behind the engine, over the fuel tank. I suppose it could be mounted there. There might also be other places in the engine compartment you could move it.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Perhaps the clearance is a function of the Universal? On the Westerbeke, I wouldn't call it accessible, but it's not hidden under something major. You still have to be a contortionist or really thin (of which, I'm neither) to reach down in behind there.

I have a mind to JB Weld an inexpensive socket and a strong magnet on an extension just for the purpose of reaching this easier.

Transmission-HeatExchanger-Westerbeke-26-2.jpg

Last edited:

Breeze26

Thanks for all your information. I am skinny so I'll find a wayto get to that screwhead. Dave I see You're in Kansas--when I was in the Army and stationed ar Fort Riley, I bought my first boat, a Coronado 15 dinghy, a baby Catalina, and sailed it on Tuttle Lake just north of Manhattan. Lots of fun!!