Tiller Pilot?

Dan Hayes

Member III
Hi All -

I have an E28+, which is a lot of boat for a little tillerpilot, and have had great luck with just a TP10. The E28+ has a ton of torque when motoring, (can't call it "weather helm" when I'm motoring, can I?) and despite that the tillerpilot works fine. I can shoot some pictures of the installation if anyone is interested.

If you feel you need the gps hook up, then go with the TP20 - they're great units.

If you singlehand, a pilot is a dream come true - frees you up to set the sails and enjoy the ride. Don't know how I lived without one.

Jeff - I'll have to look you up. I'm at Cabrillo Marina, 29B32, if you are ever around on a Sunday...

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey danohayes,

You must be the E-28 I saw last spring. I did a post looking for you. I am at berth 31 slip B-40. I do most of my weekly sails on Saturdays but I would make a exception to meet with you on a Sunday! I sent you a private message. I live in San Pedro so it would be easy to meet you anytime.

Jeff Asbury

Art Mullinax

Member III
Tiller Arc?

I noticed on my boat Saturday that when tacking, the tiller swings through an arc. Center being the lowest point and port and stbd being higher. This is due to the rudder post being tilted forward XX degrees. Will this be a concern when mounting the autopilot? Or, am I just over thinking the project?
Art M.
71/E29

C. Trembanis

Member III
Autopilot TP20

How did your TP20 perform under power? Can it control the heavy helm while cruising at hull speed? Would the TP 32 be an over kill? I've read your installation of the unit and I would do it the same. Did you add an extention?
Thanks Chris

chart_sailor

installation of ST2000 on E-25

If things go as planned, I will be installing an ST2000 on my E25 in another week or two. I'd be glad to submit some photos, etc. I thought I'd be using the cantilever off the vertical side, but I might to with the extensions and mount it higher.

Years ago I had a tiller pilot (don't remember the brand; was vintage '70s or '80s) and I remember having to use a small bunge cord to keep it on it's "pin" when it was really having to work during heavy weather etc.

I also plan to shim something under my tiller on the rudder post so that it won't DROP below the seats, which it does now.

Carl D'Amato

ST 2000 autotiller installation

I am in the process of installing an ST 2000 autotiller on my E 27. I would love to talk with others who have already or are currently installing one. It is not straightforward at all. One complication is how to measure 18" on the rudder since the rudder stock is at an angle. It also seems like it is going to bind since the tiller swings at suck a large arch. Another problem is where to mount the base; I have chosen to drill into the starboard seat but now find that I have to reinforce the mount since the fiberglass and the liner are only about 1/4 inch each with a space of about 1/2 inch between them, when the manual requires a one inch whole. Suggestions before I drill any more holes? Pictures anyone?

Thanks Carl

Auto pilot

Hi Chart Sailor,

I to own an E25 swing keel and am thinking about installing an auto pilot sometime in the future and I need all the help I can get:).

Fair winds,

Chad

C. Trembanis

Member III
Tiller Pilot:

I am in the process of installing an ST 2000 autotiller on my E 27. I would love to talk with others who have already or are currently installing one. It is not straightforward at all. One complication is how to measure 18" on the rudder since the rudder stock is at an angle. It also seems like it is going to bind since the tiller swings at suck a large arch. Another problem is where to mount the base; I have chosen to drill into the starboard seat but now find that I have to reinforce the mount since the fiberglass and the liner are only about 1/4 inch each with a space of about 1/2 inch between them, when the manual requires a one inch whole. Suggestions before I drill any more holes? Pictures anyone?

Thanks Carl

Carl. I installed a Simrad TP32. Love it. Since the tiller is angled high. What I did to prevent it from binding and comming off was to whittle a grove on the right hand side of the tiller. As the tiller is pulled to starboard it remains level. The tiller on the E27 is plenty thick, so taking a little off is of little consequence. I mounted the pilot on the starboard seat aswell. Use a good glue, I also placed a clamp under to add support. Chris

Carl D'Amato

tiller pilot

Thanks Chris,

I have installed a bracket from Raymarine that locates the pin an inch lower on the underside of the tiller so that the pin is closer to 18" from the rudder stock and the unit is still level. However this bracket is angled up so maybe that is why it binds. I may have to bend it. How did you reinforce the mounting plug in the seat? Is the fiberglass thick and strong enough to support the piece? I was thinking of cutting away the liner under it and gluing a piece of wood to the underside of the seat to beef it up.

Carl

Last edited:

Carl D'Amato

E 27 Tiller Pilot

I have done it and the Raymarine works amazingly well.

Attachments

• P7280030_4.jpg
    P7280030_4.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 145
  • P7280028.jpg
    P7280028.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 145
  • P7100015.jpg
    P7100015.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 121
  • P7100013.jpg
    P7100013.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 136
  • P7100016.jpg
    P7100016.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 109

adam

Member III
E27/29 Tiller Pilot

I realize I'm reviving a 7 year old thread, but I guess none of the relevant info has changed. I just bought a ST2000+ for my E29, and I have a couple of questions about the install.

1) Someone else posted about the tiller "arc" and I didn't see a response to that but the E29 tiller also twists. When it's hard over 45%, the tiller has twisted by 15%, so the tiller pin will also be 15% off from level. Is this going to be a problem?

2) Is there any reason that I couldn't or shouldn't install the pin on the underside of the tiller? That seems to have the advantage that in an emergency I could just yank the tiller up to regain control.

Thanks!
-Adam

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I realize I'm reviving a 7 year old thread, but I guess none of the relevant info has changed. I just bought a ST2000+ for my E29, and I have a couple of questions about the install.

1) Someone else posted about the tiller "arc" and I didn't see a response to that but the E29 tiller also twists. When it's hard over 45%, the tiller has twisted by 15%, so the tiller pin will also be 15% off from level. Is this going to be a problem?

2) Is there any reason that I couldn't or shouldn't install the pin on the underside of the tiller? That seems to have the advantage that in an emergency I could just yank the tiller up to regain control.

Thanks!
-Adam

If you study the picture of the pin in the reply above, notice that the top of the pin is rounded and slightly undercut. This allows some angle change without binding. Since no one has reported a problem with allignment in the past, I would guess that it works fine.

In achieving a level approach with the arm of the AP, it's often easiest to use the drop-angle piece to keep the allignment level (or close to) with the nearby seat top. While the underslung install is common on many boats, you can always put the pin on the top if the allignment is OK with this. In an emergency you always have to quickly raise the AP arm to disengage from the pin anyway.

That only happened once on our prior boat (tiller steered) that I recall... and that was the day I discovered that I had stupidly run the antenna cable against the AP wire inside the laz.
Yikes.
Kathy went below and keyed the vhf mic to talk to another boat .... and the AP went to full lock and put us 90 degrees to starboard! In a narrow river channel THAT got our attention. :0

After considering all the cause-and-effect of the situation we figured it out and separated those wires by about six inches.

"Live n Learn"
:rolleyes:

Loren

PS: speaking of threads that are not quite dead, here's some great movie dialog:
" Inigo Montoya: He's dead. He can't talk.
Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
Inigo Montoya: What's that?
Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change. "

Last edited:

adam

Member III
If you study the picture of the pin in the reply above, notice that the top of the pin is rounded and slightly undercut. This allows some angle change without binding. Since no one has reported a problem with allignment in the past, I would guess that it works fine.

I took some more measurements because I was curious. The rounded pin allows approx. 11 degrees of freedom of movement. When the tiller is over 20 degrees, the tiller has rotated 5.5 degrees, any further than this and nasty things may start happening.

But... the ST1000 and ST2000 have a push/pull of only 4.65" which translates to less than 20 degrees or rotation (and less than 5.5 degrees of twist), thus no problems.