Tiller Pilot?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Tiller Pilot, Has anyone installed one on a E-27? Any recommendations as to what brand and model is sufficient to the 7,000 lb displacement of the E-27? :confused:

Bob Grenier

Member II
Tiller Pilot for E-27

Jeff...My E-27 came with a Tiller Master...worked super for over twenty years...Two years ago I upgraded to the ST2000 Plus by Raytheon...I keep the old Tiller Master as a back up...The ST2000 is working realy well...I love the auto tack feature as I mostly sail alone.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Tiller Pilot for a E-27

I would like to stir up this discussion again because I got so few responses. A couple of more questions about a Tiller Pilot for a E-27.

1) Is the installation Difficult?

2) Raymarine vs Simarad?

3) How many batteries would I need to drive it? How many amps do they draw?

4) Does anyone have any photos on one installed on a E-27

Thanks in advance. :confused:

BobB

Member II
Bob Grenier said:
Jeff...My E-27 came with a Tiller Master...worked super for over twenty years...Two years ago I upgraded to the ST2000 Plus by Raytheon...I keep the old Tiller Master as a back up...The ST2000 is working realy well...I love the auto tack feature as I mostly sail alone.

I've used a Raytheon Autotiller ST2000+ for the last several years on my E27. I have two 150 AH deep cycle batteries but have never even come close to worrying about loss of power from the autotiller. About the only thing I don't like about it is the setup menu, which, in my opinion, is something out of the 1980's in its interface design. That could be improved. Like Bob, I single-hand most of the time. The 2000+ gives me the freedom I need to work the sheets. All in all, I give it a thumbs up.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Was the install hard?

Thanks Bob, Any photos? Was the install hard? I just don't like drilling holes, but I am getting tired of holding the tiller for four hours to Catalina Island as well.

Sven

Seglare
Easy on a 23

Jeff Asbury said:
Thanks Bob, Any photos? Was the install hard? I just don't like drilling holes, but I am getting tired of holding the tiller for four hours to Catalina Island as well.

I installed our ST2000 on La Petite while on the stringline at Isthmus Harbor last summer. The only hard part is figuring out where to put the fixed end. I think I ended up using 12 inches of extension rods when the max is supposed to be 9", but that let me mount the fized end right behind a stanchion where it was competely out of the way.

We got the ST2000 because I prefer to over engineer, not because it is needed on a 23'.

As you can see, on a 23 the installation is pretty clean as long as you disregard the too long black extensions.

Attachments

• DSCN3456.jpg
    DSCN3456.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 3,749

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Jeff:

Sorry so late in posting. I have investigated very closely on this matter. Why you might say? A long trip planned to Mexico and I wanted a good replacement for my old tillermaster. The thing was ancient and I did not like the compass setting on it.

Here are the results. I read a few articles on comparisons and practical sailor gave the best analysis. SImrad TP10 was the best for our boat, but if you wanted to interface with gps then you wanted the TP20 or the Raymarine.

So I bought the Simrad TP10 and it works great. Its funny because the Simrad TP10 was considerably cheaper than the Raymarine ST1000.

Installation was easy. You will have to drill some holes. I will take some pictures for you this weekend. You and I have the same boat so you can see where I installed mine. Also you will need some additional parts like extensions that cost 20.00. Also you may need a bracket depending on where you mount it it. Raymarine would be the same way.

I bought mine for 260.00 at an online boat store. They range from 260-320 depending on where you buy it. You won't need an extension if you mount close enough to the tiller but that would mean having a cutout in your cushions. Don't advise on that, more expense.

Good luck in your choice.

Don
E-27 Amigo
Channel Islands

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Back to this subject again.

Hi Guys,

Back to this subject again. Don Anderson recommended this unit. Don, if it's not too much trouble, when you get a chance could you try to post or send me a photo of your installation. This unit sounds almost too good to be true for the price. It gets a Best By review from Practical Sailor mag. I just want to make sure that I won't be under powered. Any one else have a photo of a Tiller Pilot installed on a E-27?

Jeff

Simrad TP10 Tiller Autopilot
$304.95

Product Specifications
Steering Type: Tiller
Recommended Boat Length: 30'
Maximum Boat Length: 33'
Maximum Boat Displacement: 8,200lb.
Current Draw: 0.06amps(standby)
Thrust/Power: 143lb.
Hardover Time: 8 sec.
Warranty: 2 yr.

Product Features
• Auto tack
• High thrust
• Lower power consumption
• Quiet operation
• Waterproof weather protection
• No NMEA or remote capabilities
• ***Deck plug required for installation SIMNSKT100***

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Success!

Success!

I now have Auto Pilot (Tiller Pilot). Thanks for all the help and recommendations. Big thank you to Don Anderson who really gave me a lot of help on the phone and on line.

The unit I went with is the Simrad TP22, which features the ability to handle a 11,000 lb + displacement, 143 lb Thrust. It also comes with a free remote control. I was also able to interface it with my hand held Magellan Meridian Marine GPS via NMEA (0183) compliance capability of the TP22.

I was out last Saturday and really put the unit to the test. I was able to set it on auto straight into the wind while I hoisted the main and I did not deviate while I got the sail up. I then sailed it out the channel on three different auto courses. Worked perfect. Once out of the harbor I chose a waypoint on the GPS for Avalon (Catalina), pushed the NAV button on the Tiller Pilot and It kept right on corse for a hour until I decide to head back. I then really was able to test the unit when I got back in side the harbor to the very windy Hurricane Gulch. I had to furl the jib a bit when the winds got up to 19 Knots. I used the tiller pilot all the way back to my slip in these heavy conditions. The Auto Tack feature is amazing. It's like having a crew with out the human error factor. So far I can really recommend this unit, but only time will really tell if it holds up.

Jeff

:egrin:

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 873
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 697
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,121

rwpajak

Member I
Tiller Pilot

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread. Everyone seems to be going toward the 20-2000 series tiller pilots. I have the Raymarine ST1000 on my E26 It's About Time and have no problems with the unit being short on force. In following seas, with the wave action I could use a faster response and I don't know if the beefier units have faster response time along with the additional force. I especially like the digital readout and I don't think the Simrads all have that. A friend just got a used 20 and it has no readout. Haven't tried to see if the GPS interface works yet.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Nope, no digital read out on this unit. Don't see the need. I just watch the compass & GPS. I know of others that have had success with the next one down, TP10 on a E-27 and swear by it. Part of my decision was price. The Raymarine of comparable capacity was about $200. more. Practical Sailor's Test results between the top of the line Raymarine and the top of the line Simrad TP30 showed much better results with the TP30. My TP22 gets somewhat mixed reviews on Sail Net, but Practical Sailor has not tested it. Like I said, only time will tell. Haven't used down wind yet.

rssailor

Tiller pilot

I run a Navico unit similar to the Simrad TP 20 and it is interfaced with my Navico insturments. These can act as a remote and it is interfaced to my wind insturment. The unit works pretty well on my six thousand pound E 25+.
Power usage is pretty good as it uses around one to two amp per hour. I really like the fact that the pilot works with my multi display insturments. Glad you like your unit. Ryan Moonglow

bigtyme805

Member III
Comparison

Hi Jeff:

Thanks for giving me credit on this one. Truth is Simrad works great and I have had no problems. I am sure there are many comparable models but for the price you cant beat Simrad.

Practical Sailor said it all!

Jeff, looking at your pics your tiller comes up much higher than mine that is where we had such a difference. Nice job and we must get out and do some sailing.

Don
Amigo E-27
Channel Islands

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks Don.

Ah Ha, My tillers higher. That's what was making it confusing on our phone conversation. Don, the Nav feature connected to my GPS is the best thing since sliced bread. I think I will be willing to venture farther than Catalina now. Santa Barbara Island here I come!

raleighm

Member II
TillerPilot Installation

I saw the photos that have been posted in this thread and just thought I'd add my thoughts about installation. According to the installation instructions, it is recommended that the attachment point on the tiller be about 18" ahead of the rudder post/pivot point for optimum performance. If installed farther forward the unit will require less force to move the tiller but will have to move farther (resulting in slower response time) for a given amount of correction. Mounting the attachment closer to the rudder post will result in faster correction time but will require the unit to work harder due to the reduced leverage. Of course some consideration must be given to ergonomics so it might be necessary to deviate a little from the 18" recommended on some boats.

I mounted a Simrad TP20 on my E27 by epoxying the mounting sleeve into the starboard cockpit seat 23.5 inches outboard of the centerline of the boat (as recommended) and 18" forward of the rudderpost. I epoxied the mounting pin into the top of the tiller 18" forward of the rudder post. These positions eliminated the need for a mounting bracket on the outboard end or extensions on the shaft end. This configuration also, happily, resulted in the unit's shaft intersecting the tiller at a height that makes the tillerpilot horizontal when the tiller is at its lowest position - perfect!

The other imperative is to install the wiring connector where it will not be tripped over or ripped out while you are working the boat. I mounted mine on the vertical face of the starboard cockpit seat, directly below the tillerpilot and keep the slack tied up off the deck with a velcro strap.

The TP20 may be more powerful than absolutely necessary for the E27 but I decided that more is almost always better than too little, especially given the E27's hard tiller pull under power. I also wanted to be able to interface with my GPS on longer passages, which you can't do with the smaller units. As to not having a display on the Simrad, I have never missed having one at all and the price was right!

A tillerpilot is the best money I have ever invested in a boat, especially since I singlehand a lot!

Raleigh

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
If you recall in the instructions is said that the 18" is recommended but not as crucial as the level and 90 degree install oft the pilot. I am now 23" from the rudder post, works fine so far. I had a existing mount just below the block I installed and did not want to drill new holes, so I just used the existing holes to support the elevated block in the same location as the old mount (oar lock). Regarding the location of the power & remote ports: Once again I had existing holes from old 12 volt ports that were there when I purchased the boat. I WILL ALWAYS AVOID DRILLING NEW HOLES IF I DON'T HAVE TO. So I used the old 12 volt ports.

If these holes were not there I would have probably have done the same as you. It worked out very well for me, when my cushions are in place, they cover the wiring, that are now coiled. :egrin:

Art Mullinax

Member III
Still satisfied??

Jeff,
Do you still like your Simrad?
I'm in the market for a tiller-autopilot for my E29. I read your post and you seemed to be well satisfied with your unit. Would you reccommend Simrad again???
Art M.
71/E29

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
TP-22 Auto Pilot

Hi Art,

I sent you a response to your private message but you may not have received it. To answer your questions I am very happy with my TP-22. It is a very strong unit with over 140 lbs of thrust. It is rated for a much larger boat than my 27 but I was advised by many others to go with more power than just the units rated for the displacement of my boat. I have interfaced it with my Magellan Meridian Marine hand held GPS. I just had to purchase the bare wire kit from Magellan and calibrate the interface on the GPS to receive the signal from the auto pilot. I have made two 50 mile round trips to Catalina Island with the way point selected and the TP-22 did not deviate at all. I do take over the helm when I am getting winds around 18 knots, just to make sure I don't push it and burn up the motor. It also came with a wired remote with 20 feet of wire so I could control the boat from the bow. I haven't done this yet but it may help some day in picking up a mooring single handed. Here's the link to the best price I found on line. Hope this helps. Oh yeah. It is much cheaper than the Raymarine units that don't have some of the features.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Simrad autopilot.

Jeff,
Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with Mrs. Claus last night and she explained to me that it was real close to Christmas and "if" I was a good little boy, helped around the house, and ate all of my peas and carrots there might be one under the tree this year.:)
Art M
71/E29
S/V Issaqueena