Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lots of threads here on masthead sheaves. Replacements from zephyrwerks get good reviews. Search "mast sheaves" or similar.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
My new question is, can I drop the aft stay while also being at the top of the mast?
The answer is no, no, and maybe....

First, do not simply detach the aft stay while you're at the top of the mast. That would make you a Darwin Awards candidate, and this site frowns on Darwins.

If you want to pull the backstay, you first have to do a separate mast climb to set at least one (I would do two) temporary rope stay(s) to keep the mast secured aft-ward. Normally, this might be done with the main halyard (if it is in good condition), but since your goal is to remove halyard sheaves at the masthead, you'll have to run separate line(s), of adequate condition and diameter, properly secured to the masthead.

Upon returning to deck after setting these line(s), tighten and secure them at the stern, loosen the backstay, then climb again to remove it.

A job like this should be treated with life-and-death caution, for obvious reasons.

Tertiary back up is a strand of cordelette clipped to the harness then around the mast and then back into my harness. IF there was a fall Id be snagged by a set of spreaders, and be hurt but not dead. one at the top I build an anchor and clip into that so i can unweight the lines to work on the sheaves.
Instead of just looping the cordelette around the mast, try tying it in a hitch (clove or cow hitch) around the mast. This way, it tensions up when loaded (during a fall) and may act as a brake, slowing the slide/fall down the mast. On the tapered mast of the 32-3, this works well because the mast diameter increases as you descend. Tying/looping the cord around the other hanging lines also gives it something more to bite into and grab when tensioned.

While building an anchor at the top is great, why not also hang a full-length rope from your anchor, attach a prussik to it, and clip your harness to the prussik. This would be a much better backup than just the sliding cordelette and would provide protection all the way up and down the mast.

This is from when I pulled my headstay:
20220306_152622.jpg

20220306_155124.2.jpg

Last edited:

chris85green

Member I
The answer is no, no, and maybe....

First, do not simply detach the aft stay while you're at the top of the mast. That would make you a Darwin Awards candidate, and this site frowns on Darwins.

If you want to pull the backstay, you first have to do a separate mast climb to set at least one (I would do two) temporary rope stay(s) to keep the mast secured aft-ward. Normally, this might be done with the main halyard (if it is in good condition), but since your goal is to remove halyard sheaves at the masthead, you'll have to run separate line(s), of adequate condition and diameter, properly secured to the masthead.

Upon returning to deck after setting these line(s), tighten and secure them at the stern, loosen the backstay, then climb again to remove it.

A job like this should be treated with life-and-death caution, for obvious reasons.

Instead of just looping the cordelette around the mast, try tying it in a hitch (clove or cow hitch) around the mast. This way, it tensions up when loaded (during a fall) and may act as a brake, slowing the slide/fall down the mast. On the tapered mast of the 32-3, this works well because the mast diameter increases as you descend. Tying/looping the cord around the other hanging lines also gives it something more to bite into and grab when tensioned.

While building an anchor at the top is great, why not also hang a full-length rope from your anchor, attach a prussik to it, and clip your harness to the prussik. This would be a much better backup than just the sliding cordelette and would provide protection all the way up and down the mast.

This is from when I pulled my headstay:
View attachment 45174

View attachment 45175
This is fantastic, I did read about setting the temporary line if the need to remove a stay was necessary. I will only attempt this if next time i go up i get the sheave pin to budge. If it looks like it will not move while the mast is up then i wont get crazy. If it seems i may indeed be able to remove the sheaves then i will implement multiple back up stays. Yes a hitch around the mast would be better, I will do that next time and also set up an anchor from the top with a line back down with prusik tied on as well. I like all these ideas.

As for lashing up a couple blocks, I will try this if i can not get the sheaves out and Im desperate to sail my boat. Ive been doing ASA lessons and learning so I've been getting my boat time in on the sailing centers boats for now. However the more I learn the more I want to take my own boat out :(

chris85green

Member I
Lots of threads here on masthead sheaves. Replacements from zephyrwerks get good reviews. Search "mast sheaves" or similar.
Yea, I plan to use Zephyr works when I have the old ones out and ready to replace. I hear great things. I will search the forum for some more thoughts on freeing the current ones or removing them more efficiently. Sounds like I just need to make sure to secure the old ones in place while removing the pin so no parts fall down the mast. I have a few thoughts on how to do that.