teak and holly floor coating

SAM

"Nauti Jo"
I have noticed that the teak and holly flooring on my E-28 could use a little "sprucing up" (no pun intended). It's not bad, just showing a little wear. Also it seems the softness of the teak has allowed a little bit of sand to get embedded into it in places or could I have not noticed before that the grit could be a non-skid of sorts?.

Any suggestions on how best to approach this task?

Thanks,

Sam of "Nauti Jo"

Last edited:

John Oetzman

Teak and holly flooring

I replaced the flooring in my E38 with a 1/4" veneered ply epoxied to a 1/2" ply; a lot of work. This looked good for a while but then water damage, etc. took its toll. Even though this was only cosmetic refinishing would have been a nightmare. I wound up getting a roll of teak and holly vinyl from Defender and glued it down. It looks beautiful, cleans easily, water isn't a problem, no nicks from dropped objects and it didn't cost a fortune.

John Oetzman
Singer Island, FL

psanburn

Member II
Vinyl Teak Holly Flooring

Has anyone used the teak and holly vinyl flooring on their boats? Yes, I should probably be strung up by the yardarms for even suggesting such blasphemy. But there seems to be a lot of horror stories about cabin soles with water stains, gouges etc and wonder out loud if the vinyl isn’t a option that could be considered.</SPAN>

Thanks
Peter S

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Its Been Done

The PO installed a vinyl product on my E-27. The original "sole" was white fiberglass, so I think it was an improvement toward a more "classic" look:)

I have attached the only picture of it installed that I could find. I just went out to my shed to take a picture of the product that was left in the slip locker.

It IS maintenance free and I don't fret about water or dropping anything on it. The product came in about 4" strips that "mated" with the adjacent and I think it was laid with double sided tape, since I also found some of that in the slip locker. I am happy with it, although I have noticed what appears to be slight udulations at times due to temperature expansion/contraction on hotter days when the sun shines on it.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 81
  • CIMG0874.JPG
    CIMG0874.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 66

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Todd, I noticed that pillow in your photo. I have 2 just like it that came with my boat. It makes me wonder if they are a factory thing or just a coincidence.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Goodwill

Todd, I noticed that pillow in your photo. I have 2 just like it that came with my boat. It makes me wonder if they are a factory thing or just a coincidence.

No. I think they are just popular. I picked mine up at Goodwill, if I recall correctly.:rolleyes:

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
We just redid ours. Took the pieces home, removed the old finish and used minWax floor finish. I was disappointed that I didn't buy Ultimate Sole before they went out of business. Still looks nicer, much nicer. And should be good for the next 25 years.

vanfuego

Island Bird
teak and holly floor

I work for a small production boat builder "Tomco Marine Group" we build American Tugs. We install hard wood soles. Sapele, jatoba, maple and teak. We sand the installed floor with 80 grit, 120, 180 then 220.Then we use a wipe-on poly urethane for a first coat resand lightly with 220, wipe with mineral spirits and start applying coats of a brush-on poly urethane as well. Probably 3 - 4 coats. its very durable and looks great. We are very careful about dust and lint. We usually apply the finish coats after the boats are launched and the traffic is to a minimum. The flooring is 3/8" thick so in the unfortunate case of dropping any tools we can sand the whole thing and start over. That doesn't happen often but it has happened. I'm sure there is alot of different methods and materials used for such a task. The guys I work with have found this method to be the best for what we need.

I installed a 3/8" plywood panelling on the sole of Island Bird my E-41, that has the appearance of a solid mahogany and holly floor. The top visible laminate is probably 1/8"" thich so it can be wet ironed and sanded to remove any dents or dings its softer than solid wood but its not in the high traffic area. I finished it in the described way above. The previous owner painted the entire sole with a two part enamel paint and its slicker than ...well you know. I made a carpet runner for the rest of the floor ( i know carpet doesnt belong in a boat but its removeable and when I sail off to warmer climates I'll finish the rest of the sole with the same panelling) We used the panelling in our earlier boats with few problems( ive done some warranty work on the older boats and they have held up) I would imagine your sole is solid and therefor you could sand the old finish off and refinish it. For the sand I'm not sure iv ever heard of anyone using sand as a nonskid over a nice teak and holly floor. It seems that socks would be the only thing that would slide across it.