Guest viewing is limited
  • Untitled Document

Join us on May 31st, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

May Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sunbrella Covers for Grab Rails

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Anyone make these? Have any good ideas or regrets? I have mine off right now to refinish over the winter and I would like to keep them in good shape for as long as possible. Also would love ideas for exterior hatch covers in sunbrella too.

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We had handrail covers on the prior boat for almost ten years and now on the Olson for a decade. Considering the hassle to refinish teak handrails, I consider them a no-brainer....
They were made by a local canvas shop, and used snaps to secure the sides together under each loop. Pictures just added...
:)

Loren

Attachments

• HandrailCoverUnsnapped.jpg
    HandrailCoverUnsnapped.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 279
  • portHandrailCover.jpg
    portHandrailCover.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

1973E29 TUG

Member I
I can't vouch for them because I have never used them but they do have std sunbrella handrail covers on their website. They are also found in the Links section of this Ericson site so I would assume that someone in this community has used their services before. http://www.sailcovers.net

I had them estimate a sunbrella mainsail cover for me and were competetive. In the end, I used my local canvas shop for the work. JSI in St. Petersburg, FL 727-577-3220 talk to Mary Jenson in the canvas shop tell her I sent you. you can check out their website at http://www.newjsi.com. I have no affiliation with JSI I'm just a satisfied customer.

kevin81

Member II
Ted:
I had covers made for my E34 in January 2005. It has been a great investment and has saved the finish from the strong southeast Texas summer sun. I paid about $60.00 for the pair (made by a local sailmaker). Six snaps hold each one to the deck.
Kevin
s/v Serenidad

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Kevin. Thats what I was trying to figure out. My wife and I are fairly handy with the sewing machine and sunbrella but dont have a lot of free time with 2 little ones running around and a VW bus restoration going on... Any chance you could post or email me a picture? Esp concerned with where and how you have the snaps located. Thansk again.

kevin81

Member II
Ted:
Attached is a picture of the port handrail cover. Each cover is attached to the deck with 6 snaps - 2 at each end of the cover and 2 in the middle. The male ends of the snaps (attached to the deck) were added by the previous owner.
Kevin
E34 s/v Serenidad

Attachments

• Handrail cover.JPG
    Handrail cover.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 867