adavid

Member II
I seem to have solved my intermittent starting problem. With everyone's input on this thread, I pulled the following connections and cleaned and sanded them. Then put a coat of electical contact corrosion protection on them.

Engine Harness
Engine ground cable
Fuel pump
Ignition switch
Solenoid connections
Start button

All of these showed some corrosion, with the fuel pump ground being the worse.

Engine has started first try ever since. I am thinking that it was the combination of a little corrosion in lots of places that was causing the issue.

Andy
'86 E-28

CTOlsen

Member III
New boat had symptoms noted in this post. I've replaced the starter PB, and lugs. Minor improvement.
The fuse holder is getting hot, so it's next on the list for replacement.

CTO
Loki
Hampton VA

jreddington

Member III
Fuse holder should never get hot. Yep, you got a high resistance joint in there. If it's badly corroded in there, just replace the fuse holder. And when you put the fuse back in goop in some dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion. Dielectric grease should also go at all the terminations you look at.

Also, have you done the mod for bypassing the glow plug button? If not, it's a must of an improvement. If you haven't, check those leads both into and out of the glow plug button. All the juice has to flow through there before it gets to the starter button.

Dielectric Grease. Never crank anything without it.:egrin:

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
On the case.

I previously reported that Sherlock my diesel guy found the starter problem to be in a ground wire. There is actually more. He also didn't like the wiring harness connection on the motor side so he cut out the whole thing and hard wired all eight wires together again. In a month with a score or more starts there have been no failures. In fact the motor seems to "catch" sooner than before.

The common thread in this "thread" seems to be that boats 20 and more years older are just going to have corrosion problems and they are not all the same on each boat. Still, I think the wiring updates involving a bigger starter wire and divorcing the glow plug and starter buttons make a lot of sense.
icon7.gif

Larry Lee
Savannah, GA
Annabel Lee E-32-200