Slow leak aft [Dripless Shaft Seal]

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Message from PSS:

As discussed, I don't believe this to be a compression issue. After reviewing your video, it looks like the blue hose connected to the PSS Shaft Seal is putting pressure on the carbon stator and causing it to be away from the stainless steel rotor. I noticed this at the 1:55 mark in your video, where the bottom of the carbon stator looks to be flush with the stainless steel rotor, which would indicate it is being forced downward.

My recommendation is to either reroute the blue hose so that it doesn't apply pressure to the carbon stator or remove it completely and plug the PSS Shaft Seal. As this is on a sailboat, it is not required to run water or vent the PSS Shaft Seal. You can replace the stainless steel hose barb with a plug if you wish. You can purchase our plug for the PSS Shaft Seal here or source your own. The thread size on the stainless steel plug is 1/4"x18 NPSM, and it uses a rubber washer.

Verify Compression

While you are down at your PSS Shaft Seal, it doesn't hurt to check the compression. Verify the dimension "C" as shown in the image below. If your stern tube O.D. is between 1.25" to 2.25", then the "C" dimension should be 6". If your stern tube O.D. is 2.5", then the overall length should be 6.625".

pss Capture.JPG

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Plumb the hose to function as a vent and use your new thru hull as a raw water wash down supply. It's unfortunate an "educated professional" drilled a new hole in your boat, but now that it's there might as well use it for something productive

Solarken

Member II
Update! With much calmer waters.
ok ¼” of water one night and a very calm day and negligible water after another very. Calm night. I think I need more compression. The waves hitting aft very hard must be forcing water past the seal. As I mentioned, I have no vent line, so no where for it to go. It looks wet under that area but I’ve seen no dripping when I open the area up. I will keep checking and try to measure C on mine.
Thank you so much for all the. Input! I should try to snap some photos in there.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Update! With much calmer waters.
ok ¼” of water one night and a very calm day and negligible water after another very. Calm night. I think I need more compression. The waves hitting aft very hard must be forcing water past the seal. As I mentioned, I have no vent line, so no where for it to go. It looks wet under that area but I’ve seen no dripping when I open the area up. I will keep checking and try to measure C on mine.
Thank you so much for all the. Input! I should try to snap some photos in there.
Have you checked out the rudder post? After replacing my packing gland with a dripless, the next point of ingress was the rudder post and although I've read most of the posts on here about the rudder post leak, I was still surprised on how much water gets in. even at anchor with a slight chop, there's a decent amount that gets past the old packing.

Solarken

Member II
Have you checked out the rudder post? After replacing my packing gland with a dripless, the next point of ingress was the rudder post and although I've read most of the posts on here about the rudder post leak, I was still surprised on how much water gets in. even at anchor with a slight chop, there's a decent amount that gets past the old packing.
Hello,

I believe in my original post a mention rudder also. I have greased it at the cockpit soul fitting but have not looked below that. No real access to down there. The lazaret is small for a guy 6’5” and 230#!!
Is there another grease fitting down there?
Yes the rudder post is a possibility. I will keep looking! The rudder definitely gets bashed about in storm conditions and a moving post could cause

thank you for all the input!

Captain Kenny

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hello,

I believe in my original post a mention rudder also. I have greased it at the cockpit soul fitting but have not looked below that. No real access to down there. The lazaret is small for a guy 6’5” and 230#!!
Is there another grease fitting down there?
Yes the rudder post is a possibility. I will keep looking! The rudder definitely gets bashed about in storm conditions and a moving post could cause

thank you for all the input!

Captain Kenny
I'm not familiar with the 35-2, but on the later models many owners have found the rudder post stuffing box does not keep the water out. There's simple fix detailed by @Christian Williams here:

https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/rudder-gland-repack-and-reseal-new-zerk-installed.167/.

This zerk fitting is different from the one used to lubricate the top bushing. On my boat, everything felt tight and smooth before installing the rudder tube zerk and pumping the cavity full of grease, but it still leaked and only under way of at anchor in a swell. It may not be the source of your leak, but it is something to pay closer attention to if you've exhausted all efforts on the dripless and still can't find the source.

Solarken

Member II
I’m becoming more and more convinced it’s rudder. I have not been able to view it leaking but in calmer waters I generally get little or maybe no new water. When the boat is doing hobby horse in swells and the water is a foot from coming over the transom, it’s definitely above the top of the rudder tube at times!

Solarken

Member II
I have no notch in the bottom. I’m a 32-2 1975. I’ve found little information. But I’m pretty sure that’s not it. More upright I believe.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Are you doing a lot of motoring? While attempting to monitor water ingress at the rudder tube, i noticed water coming from aft/above. It turned out to be seeping from several places on a very tight bend in the exhaust hose. Age unknown, but obviously too old.

Solarken

Member II
Are you doing a lot of motoring? While attempting to monitor water ingress at the rudder tube, i noticed water coming from aft/above. It turned out to be seeping from several places on a very tight bend in the exhaust hose. Age unknown, but obviously too old.
All electric but it’s coming at anchor in rough seas

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
See if the stuffing box leaks during motoring at full speed, when the stern squats.

A dry rag placed on the tube will give evidence. It's a good way to at least eliminate the rudder post from the problem equation.

Solarken

Member II
See if the stuffing box leaks during motoring at full speed, when the stern squats.

A dry rag placed on the tube will give evidence. It's a good way to at least eliminate the rudder post from the problem equation.
Thank you, maybe Saturday before I can get in there. No plan to motor for a month. But waves happen. Will put the rag in there to see. Thank you

Solarken

Member II

I never motor over 4 kts anyway. Never noticed any squatting

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ah, so you're electric? You might put that in your signature line, we're all interested in the progress of electric motor auxiliary power and need to know all the experts we've got.

Solarken

Member II
Ah, so you're electric? You might put that in your signature line, we're all interested in the progress of electric motor auxiliary power and need to know all the experts we've got.
I don’t know how to add to signature. But I can get anyone going on electric ⚡️ I’ve been on it since 2018 …