Shaft zinc

Steve

Member III
Anyone have any ideas why my shaft zinc (bullet type) always seems to loosen up after a few trips. WE tighten the heck out of those little screws with the an allen wrench each and every time.. do you think its vibration, though I don't feel it at the helm?

Steve E-35-3:confused:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
It happened to me and then the manager of my yard gave me a very useful tip - pound it with a hammer so its seats properly and then tighten it again. Since I have been doing that, I have not had a problem.

Steve

Member III
Thanks- How about underwater?

Thanks that makes sense, however we left our boat in wet storage this year and have to work in the water. Maybe a big hammer?

Steve

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Whack-Ola!

Yeah, whack it with a hammer - just do short smacks - you'll see the soft zinc conform to the shaft. Also, I would suggest breaking down and buying West Marine's God-Awful 'Zinc-Tool' at $18.

I used an Allen wrench for years and had the same problems (see my post on 'Clunka-Clunka'). This tool really, REALLY kills the problem (along with a hammer). You use it and a wrench and you can jack the screws down tighter than a preacher on Saturday night! :p And - when you have to do it while diving, the tool allows you to attack the screw from more/less than 90 degrees and still tighten it down! Oh, and underwater? A smaller ball-peen hammer works wonders!

:devil:

//sse

Steve

Member III
THanks

Thanks S.. Now I know why us 35-3 guys stick together... I think I'll look into the tool and grab a ball p out of the garage; It's still a bit cool in the water up here and my wet suit seemed to fit better last year…. wonder why? Do wet suits shrink… hum….?

Thanks..
Steve

Attachments

• dcp_0031.jpg
    dcp_0031.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 232

Steve

Member III
Awlgrip

Yep.. sure is pretty .. worth the the $$$ local fiberglass shop did it several years ago..

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Then I have a couple of questions since I may go the same route. Did you raise the waterline (my yard recommends this since Awlgrip tends to blister when submerged) and have you noticed that the boat is hotter with a dark color (not that that is a bad thing in NH)?

Steve

Member III
Hot is Correct

Yes sir! We sure did notice the heat right off, might not be a wise choice in the south. Stored wine and beer feel the pain... but it dries things out nicely.

The water line stayed the same, it's close, kinda wished we raised it all around, perhaps 4+ inches. When the H20 tank is full we get the classic Ericson starboard list, putting it right on the line, the boot stripe gets some green after awhile that needs wiping off. We typically keep the holding tank empty on the port. The v-berth tank will bring the bow down if we choose to use.

Steve

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No One-Sided Whacking!

Caution: Only "whack" it when you have an equal piece of iron to hold on the other side as an anvil.
This works every time for our boat.

Best,

Loren

:)

jreddington

Member III
Fiberglass work.

Steve,

I know this is hihacking the thread but who did the work? I admire that hull every time I pull up to my mooring. I'm not looking for any paint work like that in the near future but I do have some cracks in the bow that need to be repaired. I had the Shaheen (sp?) brothers do some work previously and was very happy with it but it doesn't hurt to have a couple more names in your pocket.

Steve

Member III
Nick & his brother

Yea.. the same folks that did your bow over in Fort Racheal. Northeast Fiberglass... Just checking mail before heading out to the boat,

STeve

Steve

Member III
FIXED

WEll.. underwater we went, two hammers in hand --- WACK-- both sides several times and a good tighting with a hex key. Then after the holiday weekend, and 12 hours on the engine over three days, back under to check, nice and tight...

MANY THANKS...

Steve