Replacement Rub Rail

Stuphoto

Member III
I will see the post office tomorrow and ask about the dimensions.
And should have it in the mail by Tuesday.
Unless you are in a hurry I will just send it via regular post.

Stuphoto

Member III
Nice to see the rubber insert still available, DLM Too bad they don't have the rest.

I guess with a 50 year old boat, we shouldn't expect to find everything readily available and on the shelf of your local marine store.

Before just deleting mine I was seriously thinking about just getting some nice long tight grained yellow cedar milled up. A strip cut in the length for the seam. Then steam bent it along the entire length.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I got rubber a replacement for the track as well as the rubber rub rail itself. I think they both came from Wefco but it was back in 2005. I would imagine the E35 of the era used the same design as the E32, and probably the E27 too.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Touchrain

Member III
Bought both items, base and insert from Wefco a couple years ago. Not cheap, but performed well. Base is now a rubber material, rather than the brittle plastic (after 40+ years). Make sure you epoxy fill old holes in hull and use plenty of sealant. I know from experience. Otherwise you’ll find the leaks inside.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also fill any voids in the flange between hull and deck. Owners have reported leaks, very mysterious in nature, that turned out to come through rub rail screw holes or localized separation of the flange.

Yes, the Ericson deck/hull is reinforced inside with roving, making the joint stronger than many era counterparts, and we have no reports in all the history of hull/deck failure (unlike other designs).

However, water can work its way through voids in the roving, or screw holes drilled through the roving. So seal the flange and screws, and thanks to the member investigators who discovered and documented this phenomenon.

GAP ERICSON 32-3 DECK FLANGE.JPG
Typical gap in deck/hull flange

Pkroha

I will see the post office tomorrow and ask about the dimensions.
And should have it in the mail by Tuesday.
Unless you are in a hurry I will just send it via regular post.
Hi Stu, No not in any hurry, regular post works. Just send me an address to send some money for the postal fee. Thanks again for the help.

Curt KC

Bought both items, base and insert from Wefco a couple years ago. Not cheap, but performed well. Base is now a rubber material, rather than the brittle plastic (after 40+ years). Make sure you epoxy fill old holes in hull and use plenty of sealant. I know from experience. Otherwise you’ll find the leaks inside.
I called Wefco who said the insert is only available in black due to the white being too difficult and expensive to work with. I'm not keen the idea of changing it though I suppose I could get used to it if I had to. If you got the black do you have any pics handy?

DLM-E30

I got the Black insert, but have not installed it yet. Boat is currently hauled out for through-hulls and paint. I think it's gong to look fine, but I would have preferred the white.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I think it's gong to look fine, but I would have preferred the white.
Yes I agree. Also thought grey would better than black. But my suggestion to Pete @Wefco(for grey) has not produced any result. Apparently white is very difficult to keep clean in the molding process.

Touchrain

Member III
I called Wefco who said the insert is only available in black due to the white being too difficult and expensive to work with. I'm not keen the idea of changing it though I suppose I could get used to it if I had to. If you got the black do you have any pics handy?
I got gray. Its fine. Needed some cleaning.

PANorth

Member II
The 1982 E38 that we are refitting has a teak rubrail. It had a section broken out when we started about 1 1/2 years ago. We asked a cabinet maker, who had all the right tools, to match a new piece from the old one. He made enough to replace the rubrail nearly all the way around because that was the smallest piece of wood he could get.

SJ Sirota

I still have the rub rail I removed from my 73 25'.
If anyone knows if it is the same I can probably cut a section as long as you wish.
Sorry for the bad photos. View attachment 46880View attachment 46881View attachment 46884View attachment 46883off and mail it to you for therubrail channel cost of shipping.
Most of it is in decent shape, where it wasn't sitting on a rock.
Stu,
Do you have any more of the used rubrail channel? I have a 35 MKII that was damaged in a storm. I lost 2 feet of the channel and am looking for a replacement section.

p.gazibara

Member III
Also fill any voids in the flange between hull and deck. Owners have reported leaks, very mysterious in nature, that turned out to come through rub rail screw holes or localized separation of the flange.

Yes, the Ericson deck/hull is reinforced inside with roving, making the joint stronger than many era counterparts, and we have no reports in all the history of hull/deck failure (unlike other designs).

However, water can work its way through voids in the roving, or screw holes drilled through the roving. So seal the flange and screws, and thanks to the member investigators who discovered and documented this phenomenon.

View attachment 46914
Typical gap in deck/hull flange
I thought about cutting the flange off and just glassing over it, would look more modern and prevent any future leaks. Big job though, so I never got around to it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is an Ericson 34 (2) in Portland that had a local yard glass in and repaint the adjacent topsides, about 20+ years ago. Still looks pretty good. It's now for sale so you can see this work in some of the brokerage photos.