Replacement Rub Rail

Pkroha

I have a 1973 E32 and a 1 foot section of the rub rail was damaged last fall. Does anyone know how to obtain a section of rub rail to replace the broken section.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Do you mean the rubber insert, or the aluminum rail, or both? I think you’ll find info here by searching for “Wefco,” the company that makes rubber inserts. Not exactly a household brand!

This isn’t responsive to your question, but I gave up on mine last year. The rubber looked terrible, and keeping the corroded aluminum painted was futile. It was also detaching from the side of the boat in spots, and the thought of repairing that and reattaching the hideous components was depressing. I replaced both sides with long strips of routed PVC lumber called Versatex. 2x6 - 18’, cut in half lengthwise, channeled with a dado blade on a circular saw, and rounded on the edges with a router. There was some fussing to shape the forward and aft ends to fit into the rail caps, and only one joint on each side since the material was 18’ long. Versatex is easy to work with, UV stable and cleans nicely with Softscrub. Its only drawback I’ve noted is that like all PVC, the dust it throws off from sanding or sawing is very sticky.

(We also painted the topsides last year, with Perfection, and I slapped the checkerboard sticker on at the last minute rather than splashing the boat without a colored upper stripe. It’s a reflective tape from eBay. I’m pretty sure I really like it although it is not traditional Ericson dressage.j

Attachments

• IMG_5425.jpeg
    IMG_5425.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 45

Pkroha

It's the C Channel that holds the rubber insert. The rail on the 1973 E32 was made from plastic.

Pkroha

I have added a picture of the plastic section I have at my disposal. You can see the section was replaced once before. As we all know Finding replacement material is not easy.
E32 (2).jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the boat has the typical Ericson deck/hull flange, the rub rail needs to cover it, and such profiles are hard to find-- in metal at least. I used a Taco aluminum product on two boats, but that profile is said to be no longer available.

Stuphoto

Member III
I still have the rub rail I removed from my 73 25'.
If anyone knows if it is the same I can probably cut a section as long as you wish.
Sorry for the bad photos. IMG_20230426_120055710.jpgIMG_20230426_120044533.jpgIMG_20230426_120502485.jpgIMG_20230426_115947085.jpgoff and mail it to you for the cost of shipping.
Most of it is in decent shape, where it wasn't sitting on a rock.

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_120010810.jpg
    IMG_20230426_120010810.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 7

Pkroha

I still have the rub rail I removed from my 73 25'.
If anyone knows if it is the same I can probably cut a section as long as you wish.
Sorry for the bad photos. View attachment 46880View attachment 46881View attachment 46884View attachment 46883off and mail it to you for the cost of shipping.
Most of it is in decent shape, where it wasn't sitting on a rock.
Hi Stuphoto, I will be at the boat this weekend, I will check the profile, I'm certainly hoping they are the same due to the age of the boats are the same. I will let you know and I appreciate the offer! I will get back to you.

Stuphoto

Member III
I hope it fits,

When I couldn't find a suitable replacement for mine I just removed the rest, ground off the lips, glasses them over effectively deleting them.
Now she is almost ready for paint.

Although I love the looks without the rub rail, it's pretty much a weeks worth of work and I would think a couple hundred dollars of materials I would have rather spend elsewhere.

bumbugo

Member I
When we bought our 32-3 two years ago the owner stated that if/when we wanted to replace the aluminum rub rail we could find it here
Taco Marine . We haven't taken the step yet to replace the rub rail, but it is on the list.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
See Post #5. Unfortunately, the profile I used has been discontinued.

I hope somebody finds an alternative and posts about it.

Stuphoto

Member III
If your rub rail is the same as mine, and you want a spare section please speak up asap.

Knowing how rare it has become I don't really want to throw it out, but hope to launch in around 2 weeks.
I won't have room to store it after that.

I am guessing I have around 40 decent feet of it and around the same amount of rubber insert.

Like mentioned earlier, just pay the postage.

Pkroha

If your rub rail is the same as mine, and you want a spare section please speak up asap.

Knowing how rare it has become I don't really want to throw it out, but hope to launch in around 2 weeks.
I won't have room to store it after that.

I am guessing I have around 40 decent feet of it and around the same amount of rubber insert.

Like mentioned earlier, just pay the postage.
Hi, I’ll take some of the rib rail. I certainly will cover shipping cost. What is the maximum length do you think could ship? Whatever that length is I’ll take 3 of it. If 6ft is max length I’ll take 18ft. Do you have a Venmo account? I’ll send you the funds thru that.

Pkroha

Hi, I’ll take some of the rib rail. I certainly will cover shipping cost. What is the maximum length do you think could ship? Whatever that length is I’ll take 3 of it. If 6ft is max length I’ll take 18ft. Do you have a Venmo account? I’ll send you the funds thru that.
My name is Pete Kroha my address is 3371 Sawgrass Ct Rochester hills MI 48309

Stuphoto

Member III
Hi Pete,
I will ask the post office on Monday,
I would think 3 foot sections is doable possiblylonger. It's pretty light making a easy.
I should mention I am in Canada, so postage will be a little more, but not that bad.

Never even heard of a Venmo account,
We will figure something out.
Stu

Pkroha

Here is a pic of the profile on my 32.

Attachments

• B575144E-2BA9-49C5-AD8E-A79B0C00A707.jpeg
    B575144E-2BA9-49C5-AD8E-A79B0C00A707.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 10

Stuphoto

Member III
That sure looks the same,

No PayPal,
Here in Canada the norm is e-transfer, however the last time I looked it was limited to Canada wide.

Just let me look into it on Monday,

DLM-E30

You should measure before shipping. I have a 30-2 and the plastic part is bigger than the one Stuphoto has posted. Mine is 2" in height and 1-1/4" in "width" (as mounted) the profile is the same exact shape, just bigger.

Pkroha

You should measure before shipping. I have a 30-2 and the plastic part is bigger than the one Stuphoto has posted. Mine is 2" in height and 1-1/4" in "width" (as mounted) the profile is the same exact shape, just bigger.
I’m willing to risk it.