Rendezvous 2011 - June 17-19, Port Townsend, WA

Poulsbo or Pt Townsend?

• Total voters

wurzner

Member III
I voted for Pt Townsend...But

I voted for Port Townsend since it would be a lot more accessible for our Canadian owners who are considering making it down. That being said, it is most likely too late for reservations at Point Hudson. If we went to boat haven, we would all be spread out. There is great mooring there if the winds are calm, but can be really bumpy otherwise. I spent a night there last year anchored in 30 knots and found it fine due to the great holding, but it is not for the faint of heart. If we need to raft out, then Poulsbo is by far the better location. As for me, I'm equa-distant to both locations so that is not an issue and would find either location great. Also, the back bay at port ludlow is a good spot if we need to raft and it would be closer than Poulso.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvous 2011

I voted for Port Townsend since it would be a lot more accessible for our Canadian owners who are considering making it down. That being said, it is most likely too late for reservations at Point Hudson. If we went to boat haven, we would all be spread out. There is great mooring there if the winds are calm, but can be really bumpy otherwise. I spent a night there last year anchored in 30 knots and found it fine due to the great holding, but it is not for the faint of heart. If we need to raft out, then Poulsbo is by far the better location. As for me, I'm equa-distant to both locations so that is not an issue and would find either location great. Also, the back bay at port ludlow is a good spot if we need to raft and it would be closer than Poulso.

Rendezvous 2011:
Let's start wittling things, down Pulsbo or Port Townsend?? Seems to be the question, Lets find out which one is availiable for Father's Day weekend June 18-19/2011 Last time I was in Port Ludlow It only had room for 3 visiting yachts I had to stay on the out side until after 19:00 for inside moorage. I love Pulsbo but, it taks me another day of really pushing it from say, John Wayne Marina Does any one still have some phone numbers?;);)

Chas and judi SV- Eden E 30+ # 720

Last edited:

Brass Dragon

Member II
I havent been to any previous events. I think Id like to try this year. Could someone give me an idea what its about. Is it Friday +Sat night leave Sunday? Any mid day sailing events? Do we reserve individually or as a group?

If we are still voting, either spot is ok with me, but leaning toward Poulsbo. Poulsbo is great for coffee & danish but if we were to get out sailing in afternoon, it is a long way to open water.
dave
s/v Brass Dragon
Ericson 36C

wurzner

Member III
Lots of Good Comments...No Leadership???

I've organized the RV and don't feel I can support it right now for the following reasons.

1) There seems to be a general feeling that we can secure moorage at this point...I'm doubtful but would love to be proved wrong.

2) We have not agreed on a location as far as I can tell?

3) We have not locked in a weekend...maybe I'm wrong?

4) At best, it looks like we may have ~8 boats based on the poll result since 13 have responded and I doubt all pollsters will make it.

Securing moorage is difficult at best...our club was waiting the first open day in january and there were LOTS of other in line.

I'm all for moorage at a marina, but I suspect this is going to be a challenge. Unless someone has a secure location, we need to consider the following.

1) Are we going to be at a tie up location.

2) If not, what is the best location to be on the hook and still have a good event...we need to agree.

3) For those driving in, we can make sure to come get you and either have you stay on our boats or ensure you have round trip dinghy's at your convenience.

I for one always enjoy seeing Loren and Sean and once we decide what is gong on, I will commit to supporting getting folks back and forth. Perhaps a big wagon wheel is what things will look like this year...and I'd be all for it! We are at the point of needing to lock down a plan or risk having a marginal turn out.

Is anyone leading the RV this year? Time is thin and a few phone calls would confirm if we have the option of moorage or are we on the hook? Once we know this, we can plan accordingly.

Please don't construe this the wrong way, but we have traditionally locked things down a lot earlier (and marinas were much more accomadating back then). I'd be fine with a big wagon wheel in Poulsbo; has anyone looked into moorage at PT? I'll call PT if need be, but I suspect I know the answer plus I don't want to duplicate efforts.

I've been off the list for logistical reasons so maybe I'm missing something...please provide feedback as having organized this event before...it won't happen without leadership.

Last edited:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
I've organized the RV and don't feel I can support it right now for the following reasons.

1) There seems to be a general feeling that we can secure moorage at this point...I'm doubtful but would love to be proved wrong.

2) We have not agreed on a location as far as I can tell?

3) We have not locked in a weekend...maybe I'm wrong?

4) At best, it looks like we may have ~8 boats based on the poll result since 13 have responded and I doubt all pollsters will make it.

Securing moorage is difficult at best...our club was waiting the first open day in january and there were LOTS of other in line.

I'm all for moorage at a marina, but I suspect this is going to be a challenge. Unless someone has a secure location, we need to consider the following.

1) Are we going to be at a tie up location.

2) If not, what is the best location to be on the hook and still have a good event...we need to agree.

3) For those driving in, we can make sure to come get you and either have you stay on our boats or ensure you have round trip dinghy's at your convenience.

I for one always enjoy seeing Loren and Sean and once we decide what is gong on, I will commit to supporting getting folks back and forth. Perhaps a big wagon wheel is what things will look like this year...and I'd be all for it! We are at the point of needing to lock down a plan or risk having a marginal turn out.

Is anyone leading the RV this year? Time is thin and a few phone calls would confirm if we have the option of moorage or are we on the hook? Once we know this, we can plan accordingly.

Please don't construe this the wrong way, but we have traditionally locked things down a lot earlier (and marinas were much more accomadating back then). I'd be fine with a big wagon wheel in Poulsbo; has anyone looked into moorage at PT? I'll call PT if need be, but I suspect I know the answer plus I don't want to duplicate efforts.

I've been off the list for logistical reasons so maybe I'm missing something...please provide feedback as having organized this event before...it won't happen without leadership.

Father's day weekend is ( I understand) the time frame we are talking about
June 18-19 a Saturday and Sunday 2011, so far in has been narrowed down to the possibility of two locations Poulsbo or Port Townsend. I have 6 Canadian Ericsons hoping to meet at the Canadian Forces Sailing Association in Esquimalt Harbour and move as a floatila to whatever Harbour in Washington state you Americans choose. (we just spell it different) .

Chas and Judi sv-eden@telus.net

wurzner

Member III
Poulsbo and Port Townsend Update--Action Needed

OK,

Rhonda at Port Hudson said they have a club in there and can not assign a block of individual slips. That being said, she said she WOULD put multiple boats in the 70 foot slips (they have 12 of them). You would need to call and make individual reservations and they have a 24 hour cancellation policy for which you would be out 7 dollars.

Poulsbo does not have a club coming in so they can accommodate us including their club room. So we are at the point of "Where is it going to be?" I don't care since either location is the same distance. Also, I will definitely be in Poulsbo the 3rd like I am each year for the fireworks. Lastly, I'm not sure I will even make the event so I do not want influence where it takes place. Either way, SOMEONE needs to make a decision. Otherwise, I would suggest our Canadian friends just start reserving at Point Hudson and who ever shows up shows up.

Port Hudson Phone 360-385-2828
Poulsbo 360-779-3505

InSync

Member II
Rendezvous 2011

We are new to both Ericson ownership and the rendezvous and really looking forward to it! However, I have never brought a boat into Port Townsend (just sat on the pier drinking my latte and dreaming of...one day we'll sail in here...) or into Poulsbo (never been there, although the bakery sounds delicious!), therefore I have no preferences. We will go with the majority. Tell us where and when and we will be there.
We are bringing our E32 down from Vancouver and have already spoken with Chas and emailed Judy re our plan to arrive at CFB Esquimalt on Wednesday June 15 and head out with the Canadian flotilla towards Port Angeles on Friday, June 17. Chas had mentioned overnighting at John Wayne Marina on Friday night and then into the rendezvous destination on Saturday.
Will someone with more experience than us on this topic PLEASE make a decision re the location so we can go ahead? We have been looking forward to this very, very, very much and Joe doesn't want to have put up with me pouting if it's cancelled.
Many thanks, Helga

rudy

Member II
re: Location

Poulsbo is O.K. with us. We earlier stated Port Townsend but will be happy wherever!!!
Hoping this rendezvous flies (er..sails that is) and looking forward to meeting you all.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvous N W 2011

Poulsbo is O.K. with us. We earlier stated Port Townsend but will be happy wherever!!!
Hoping this rendezvous flies (er..sails that is) and looking forward to meeting you all.

Rendezvous Northwest 2011.
I would like to suggest that by March 1st 2011, the poll for where we are going be shut down and we start making reservations by individual phone calls for either Poulsbo or Port Townsend. As of now it looks as if we are all going to Poulsbo. 4 days left to vote if we are in agreement. We have to tie this up soon

Chas and Judi "EDEN" E 30+ # 720

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Reservations Made at Port Hudson

The following boats have made reservations and/or will be making them today at Port Hudson.

Shaun S/V Sorcerer Ericson 38-200
Todd Smith S/V Slapshoot Ericson 38-200
Cary Kesselring S/V Saleh Ericson 32-2
Chas and Judi S/V EDEN Ericson 30

Chas mentioned that there are 3 additional boats out of Canada that are going to be coming down with him, but I don't have their contact info. There are also a few more boats out of Everett, WA that I have shared an interest in attending who I will be contacting over the next few days.

I spoke with members of the list prior to making the reservations as this will likely impact some boats attending or not. This location was the best compromise for the following.

This location is equally spaced between Seattle and Victoria, as well as Tacoma and Vancouver respectively. I also believe PT Hudson offers a better chance for a group sail and isn’t that part of why we are getting together?

I realize for some folks, Poulsbo represented a 2.5 hour trip opposed to what is now a 7 hour trip. None the less, this is still manageable with an early start to still be in by early afternoon (or do part of the trip Friday and anchor at Matts Matts or the back bay at Ludlow.

Lets get the word out and get the party planning into gear. Cary on Saleh is an accomplished acoustic guitarist/singer who routinely plays at the Latts and Atts so I suspect they will be some live entertainment is store weather permitting.

Cheers
Shaun

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Reservations Made at Port Hudson

Re: Selection of Port Hudson.

Hi All. We appreciate the selection of Port Hudson for the rendezvous. We are cruise captains for our yacht club's cruise to Stuart Island on June 24. With our boat moored in Blaine, we had decided that going from Blaine to Poulsbo for the June 19 event, then back to Blaine and then to Stuart Island for the June 24 was probably not feasible considering our other commitments. We had decided that we would not be attending the rendezous. However, now it looks like a possibility. We will see if we can get our act together to attend. We were sad that we couldn't make last year's rendezvous at Poets Cove. We would appreciate being kept in the information loop about rendezvous events, activities, etc. Thanks. Dave and Donna-Marie

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pt Townsend it is!

I am glad to see someone take the initiative and get a site (Pt Townsend) picked out that is relatively easy to get to from both sides of the border. :cool:

I will see about a slip reservation, and hope that we can free our boat from the sticky effect of the Columbia River Vortex.... :rolleyes:

LB

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvous Port Tounsend 2011

I am glad to see someone take the initiative and get a site (Pt Townsend) picked out that is relatively easy to get to from both sides of the border. :cool:

I will see about a slip reservation, and hope that we can free our boat from the sticky effect of the Columbia River Vortex.... :rolleyes:

LB

Rendezvous 2011 I have reserved The Marina Room at Port Hudson Marina for a Pot Luck dinner and meeting Saturday June the 19 at 18:00 -20:00. I put the required deposit down. We have it for 3 hrs ( 1Hr. to clean up) It should not cost us more than $2.00 per head. Make your moorage reservations @ 360-385 2828 and please radio in on arrival it helps marina staff

Itinarary for use 18:00 Pot luck dinner
19:00 If you wish to put on a skit or sing-along now is the time
20:00 Prize giving (blind folded dingy race, rope toss). etc.

We just got to get some prizes donated !!!

Chas and Judi sv-Eden Ericson 30+ # 720

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Spread the Word

Good progress!
Now is a good time to get off an event announcement to the editors of 48North, NWYachting, and any other Northwest boating magazines for their April or May issues. Print media has long lead times, so better a short paragraph faster than spending too much time pondering the sentences.
LB

wurzner

Member III
Already Spoke to Karen at 48North

If anyone has contacts for any of the other rags, please forward them to me. I already planned on putting something in 48North.

Has anyone else signed up for slips? It is only a $7 deposit and is well worth the investment. Aside from reserving a spot, it will also help drive participation since more attendees makes it more inviting for folks sitting on the fence.

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Have reserved slip

Hi All. We have just reserved a slip at Port Hudson for the rendezvous. They assigned us slip 3A. Thanks for the work in setting this up. Dave

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvous 2011

Hi All. We have just reserved a slip at Port Hudson for the rendezvous. They assigned us slip 3A. Thanks for the work in setting this up. Dave

Last count yesterday was 9 reservations, phone Port HUDSON MARINA in PORT Townsend 360 385 2828 it"s $7.00 reserve your spot now! and let's get our ships together to make this the biggest rendezvous yet.

Chas and Judi sv-eden@telus.net
Ericson 30+ # 720

Last edited: