rebuild sheave support

Mike Johnson

My 71 e-32 has tiller & wheel steering. The strbrd side sheave support has broken. It is a 1/4" 6 x 10 " piece of steel that was bonded to the hull. Before it broke there was a lot of flex. My plan is to go in thru the strbrd lazzeret, cut a access hole , and then epoxy some plywood to the hull and bulkhead and mount the sheave . Has anyone else had this project come up?? Thanks for any advice.....MJ

Art Mullinax

Member III
Try Starboard instead

Rather than using plywood, try to find a source for the Starboard material. It wont rot away or delaminate like plywood...It's also good for backing plates for your thru hull valves...
Art M

Mike Johnson

old sheave - steel??

Art , thanks for the idea . The problem I see is that the old support was 1/4" steel ?? that was bonded /glassed to the hull only on the bottem, and therefore was NOT stiff or stable at all. I thought I would use 3/4" marine ply and epoxy it to a nearby bulkhead and also put another backing brace behind it. Is there any reason why that support should move at all ??? MJ

Art Mullinax

Member III
Flexing Sheave

I'm not sure about your particular issue with the sheave flexing but I would check for an alignment problem. The quadrant arm on the rudder post may not be aligned with the sheave and this could cause a flexing problem.
Art M.
71/E29