Oil change on Universal M40 -- what am I doing wrong?

c.gustafson

Member II
Yes. I have a Jabsco oil pump/bucket that I use to remove the oil. The pump motor has a black rubber tube that comes off the pump and then there is a smaller diameter clear plastic tube that inserts into the black rubber tube. The clear plastic tube is flexible, but easily inserts into the dipstick hole.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
I’ve been really happy with the basic WM manual pump. My Yanmar 3YM30 only takes 3 quarts of oil so I can use is a couple times before needing to dump it. Somebody may have mentioned already but a ziplock bag around the filter when removing it helps keep the mess to a minimum.

Changed fuel filters as well and had a tough time bleeding the big one. Kept having to go back to it and bleed it more after thinking it was done and moving to the little one. The integral bleeding pump felt a little weak. Can you rebuild or maintain the integral pump on a Racor 220R filter or is it easier just to replace it?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just really noticed this posting about oil changing so this maybe a little, too late but….I have a video on my YouTube channel about changing the oil on my E32-3 that might be informative if not just amusing. :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Me too. Hairline crack in cast housing admitted air, impossible to see. Not uncommon (I was told) in 30-year-old units in a vibrating engine compartment.

IMG_0258.JPG