New E26 owner here:)

Glyn Judson

Whale 10 in the cockpit.

Dear friend, If as you say the Gusher looks almost unused, consider priming it to see if that brings it back to life. Pull the hose out of the bilge with it still attached to the pump, hold it aloft in the cockpit and fill it with water. Better yet, get a helping hand to assist, and while using a garden hose, fill it with a moderate flow while someone else mans the pump handle. Maybe it just needs to have the cobwebs flushed out or maybe things are so dry through disuse, priming it will do the trick. Always go for the simplest and work your way up the labor and cost chain, one step at a time. I'd like to chat with you directly via email and pick your brain as to what you find when you dive under the cockpit to address the cockpit scupper drain. You might recall that I'm helping a friend with her 1982 25+ which in many respect is or should be the same as yours. she has an issue with that area and I'm not familiar enough with it to have a clear idea of what to deal with. If comfortable with that sort of information exchange by email you can contact me at glynjudson@roadrunner.com or at home at 310.453.1892 and cell at 310.804.9198. Thanks in advance, Glyn

Our original Whale aluminum body pump in the head was corroded beyond repair, and when I replaced it and re-plumbed the whole holding tank-and-hoses scheme I changed to the Whale Mk5 pump. It is mostly plastic and built for waste systems.
Loren

How did you get to it? I can only think of one way and it requires cutting a hole in the wall to the main cabin and I don't really want to do that... I really don't have any room to work. I believe it must have been put in before the wall. I don't want to remove the wall. I'm again puzzled. I have to say I'm really enjoying being in my boat even on the hard. There's just something about working on them. Even though I spent 1/2 my day in the 1/4 cabin removing my bilge pump and tearing out the old blower hose and realizing I should do the through hulls etc! I also pulled the aluminum cover off the back of my boom so I can replace my rollers and outhaul sheve. I have an amazing day!!

Dear friend, If as you say the Gusher looks almost unused, consider priming it to see if that brings it back to life. Pull the hose out of the bilge with it still attached to the pump, hold it aloft in the cockpit and fill it with water. Better yet, get a helping hand to assist, and while using a garden hose, fill it with a moderate flow while someone else mans the pump handle. Maybe it just needs to have the cobwebs flushed out or maybe things are so dry through disuse, priming it will do the trick. Always go for the simplest and work your way up the labor and cost chain, one step at a time. I'd like to chat with you directly via email and pick your brain as to what you find when you dive under the cockpit to address the cockpit scupper drain. You might recall that I'm helping a friend with her 1982 25+ which in many respect is or should be the same as yours. she has an issue with that area and I'm not familiar enough with it to have a clear idea of what to deal with. If comfortable with that sort of information exchange by email you can contact me at glynjudson@roadrunner.com or at home at 310.453.1892 and cell at 310.804.9198. Thanks in advance, Glyn

So I did exactly that... I have a new hose I attached filled with water and had a friend hold above to prime it and I got No love. So I pulled it out and found that the flapper that runs to the back of the boat was stuck open. The pump was in great shape inside. I think the rebuild kit wil work just fine. The Whale in the head is junk.
im open to calls, emails, texts whatever you guys are cool with. I love boats! I love to sail um drive them ride on them work on them and talk about them!! My mane is Erik let's talk about our boats!!! Woo hoo! I have my own boat again!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
How did you get to it? I can only think of one way and it requires cutting a hole in the wall to the main cabin and I don't really want to do that... I really don't have any room to work. I believe it must have been put in before the wall. I don't want to remove the wall. I'm again puzzled. I have to say I'm really enjoying being in my boat even on the hard. There's just something about working on them. Even though I spent 1/2 my day in the 1/4 cabin removing my bilge pump and tearing out the old blower hose and realizing I should do the through hulls etc! I also pulled the aluminum cover off the back of my boom so I can replace my rollers and outhaul sheve. I have an amazing day!!

I have not worked on your particular model, but on ours the front counter access panel under the head countertop was wide enough to reach in and to one side and get at the fastenings on the pump.
OTOH, I did increase the access to the part of our counter front by putting in a new access panel beside the head. I wonder if the sink can be unmounted on your boat? Sometimes you have to contemplate the various ways to take this stuff apart, in stages, and then figure out to get into those spaces step by step.

Good luck.
Loren

markvone

Sustaining Member
Erik, Glyn contact Pat

Hi Erik,

I would recommend using stainless (or bronze, but stainless for me) to replace your above waterline thru hulls. This will be a once in a lifetime job using stainless and it's nice to not have to repeat, particularly if they are in a difficult to access spot (like the transom of the E26). While I prefer, and use Marelon fittings below the waterline, I am using stainless above the waterline where UV is an issue and corrosion is not. See post #17 here for doing this on a E26:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...?11290-Opinions-on-Replacing-Thru-Hulls/page2

Glyn, Erik,

Pat, SurabyaKid (from post #17 above) may have some insight into how you get access to the stern and to the E25+ issue since he crawled back there to do the thru hull replacement.

Mark

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
So I did exactly that... I have a new hose I attached filled with water and had a friend hold above to prime it and I got No love. So I pulled it out and found that the flapper that runs to the back of the boat was stuck open. The pump was in great shape inside. I think the rebuild kit wil work just fine. The Whale in the head is junk.
im open to calls, emails, texts whatever you guys are cool with. I love boats! I love to sail um drive them ride on them work on them and talk about them!! My mane is Erik let's talk about our boats!!! Woo hoo! I have my own boat again!!
Don't know if you'd be interested in this, but I have a Whale Mk-V sanitation pump in near-new condition that I'd be willing to sell you for a very good price. Send me a private message if you want to consider it.

Glyn Judson

Transom photos.

Mark, Thanks for thinking of us but my interest is in photos from the inside to see how the routing from the cockpit well to the through hull fitting is designed. If just a 90° hose or something similar, I might be able to send tanya, the owner back in three to swap it out or at least tighten hose clamps (??) Cheers, Glyn

Glyn Judson

The E25+ cockpit drain demystified.

Shelman, Thanks for the great series of photos, all is clear now and I just sent them to the owner so she can get an idea as to what to look for when she (not me) crawls back there to check to a little leak that's been bugging me. when coming down the coast from to her new slip, I checked everything often and noted a small stream of water forming from somewhere aft to the old engine bay (OMC Saildrive long since removed) and even to the cabin sole adjacent to the galley, this explains a lot. Glyn

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Shelman, Thanks for the great series of photos, all is clear now and I just sent them to the owner so she can get an idea as to what to look for when she (not me) crawls back there to check to a little leak that's been bugging me. when coming down the coast from to her new slip, I checked everything often and noted a small stream of water forming from somewhere aft to the old engine bay (OMC Saildrive long since removed) and even to the cabin sole adjacent to the galley, this explains a lot. Glyn

Glad to be of service. :egrin: I could never get my factory cockpit drains to stop leaking either, even after re-bedding twice. they were leaking at the screws where the strainers went through the cockpit sole and they were leaking at the 90 degree pipe fittings and they were impossible to get tight enough to get a good seal going through the transom because the transom on my E-26 was two layers and with the liner back there it was always moving around.

Scuppers and drains

So after crawling/stuffing my self back in there it's not going to be an easy job. I will
probably go SS and in cross the hoses. I'll use scupper through hulls and eliminate the 90 and hope for the best. I have not figured out how we will do it yet. My uncle who is helping me is a master mechanic and has a ton of experience and special tools I don't have. I'm sure we will chisel the old out but replacement will be the trick.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
For the hoses you'll either need a quite flexible hose that won't kink, or you might be able to use pre bent radiator hose like I did. One was basically a 90 degree bend but the other had to be a 90 degree bend with an offset of about 2" because the through hulls in the transom weren't drilled perfectly symmetrical, but rather a bit off to one side . I found an auto parts store with hundreds of hoses hanging on the walls in all kinds of shapes and sizes with a really patient sales clerk.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

E25+ scupper hose.

Thanks, I had a sense about it being offset already thanks to your excellent photo showing that very thing. In addition, the photo of the transom fittings show that one clearly off center. I hope tp get down to her boat on Saturday to resolve the issue one way or another. Gracias, Glyn

I was just up in there again an hour ago with some lights. I am fairly certain I can get to my through hulls with out too much trouble. The cockpit drain on the port side will not be easy. Then we have the bilge through hull and it's even further port side. AND then the exhaust... The exhaust is bronze already but it's green and well who knows but if we are going to get in there and do them I'll do them all. This boat I probably will not keep forever so plastic maybe the way for me as SS and bronze are more $$. But I might do it for the resale. When she is done she will be a very nice boat and trailer sailor package. I have dreams of a 42/46 and a trip around the Caribbean. I bought this boat to restore and learn. Had to order New out haul sheve and roller today from rigright and tomorrow I order my 80 foot of halyard 3/8 rope for my head sail and my 80' wire to rope halyard for my main. But since I'm doing the mast I decided to upgrade my lights to LED. Man I love boats or is it man I'm obsessed with boats?! Hahah! I love learning my boat in and out. I'll be looking in to the plywood coated with epoxy backer plates for my through hulls. I what to do it right! Heck you never know what can happen off shore. Might have to pull up to a island and fix a fitting so I better know what I need and how to do it. Had a crazy experience crossing Lake Erie in my early 20s in a 24' cabin cruiser from Detroit to Sandusky Ohio in a Bad storm... Busted up the canvas... Taking on water... Brokern anchor hatch bilges running full blast in 6/10' waves live a washing machine . Lake Erie is shallow and gets nasty.... I Had to change a prop after we hit something in the water with no land in sight... . I had to tie my tools to the swim deck tie my self to the deck mask and snorkel and one hell of a beating but I got it done... I'm here to Learn and share info. Il take a bunch of pictures with a camera tomorrow and have the wife upload them. We will figure out an easy way or easier way to change the fittings... May be easiest to just pull the motor.... Idk yet? Sorry about my typos...

Glyn Judson

Cockpit drain.

Erik, >>snip I'll use scupper through hulls and eliminate the 90. I'm confused, how can you eliminate the 90° hose by using scupper through hulls. If the center drain is vertical and the through hull fitting in the transom is horizontal, I can see no way to drain water from the cockpit other than with the use of an elbow shaped hose. Am I getting this wrong and/or can you explain further? Thanks, Glyn

I can cross the hoses like they are now or use a 90 hose.. I'll take some pictures. It's going to be a major pain but I'll figure it out.

Too much snow!!

Sorry I fell off there. We are getting pounded up here with snow. I haven't been back to the boat. I'll get back there and get some pics up ASAP. We got 2' last night and I own a plow company. Got to go get those boat bucks as the fall from the sky!

Mast questions....

So my mast has a place for 2 wire to rope halyards and two shives... Do I need both? I only have one now but I'm replacing all the rigging... I have never seen this thing rigged so I don't knew what it looks like I can only imagine. Any pics and help is appreciated... I had to move on from the transom and get the mast and boom set up. Then I'll go back to the transom through hulls. Cheers!

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
So my mast has a place for 2 wire to rope halyards and two shives... Do I need both? I only have one now but I'm replacing all the rigging... I have never seen this thing rigged so I don't knew what it looks like I can only imagine. Any pics and help is appreciated... I had to move on from the transom and get the mast and boom set up. Then I'll go back to the transom through hulls. Cheers!

If you use a whisker/spinnaker pole you might be able to utilize the extra jib halyard for a topping lift, depending I suppose on weather or not it gets in the way of anything else up there. You might need a to lead it down to a block that can swivel around a bit more freely to avoid chafe. I don't really have much experience using topping lifts, maybe somebody else with more miles of down wind sailing can answer weather or not its a good placement for the a topping lift.