Need help with Asbestos concern on 1976 Ericson 29

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Take a small sample to a lab for testing. You will never feel "right" about your boat until you know for sure. This may be a tempest in a teapot. Asbestos testing is very common and shouldn't be that expensive.

The first time I re wrapped my exhaust I thought I was dealing with asbestos until I saw the fiberglass wrapping that I eventually used.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Look like this?

If your wrapping looks like this, it's probably the same stuff. This is my 2004 custom made exhaust elbow. I will find out what they wrapped it in and I bet it'll be fiberglass.

Still, the only way to be absolutely sure is to have a lab look at it or analyze a sample. Tough call, but don't tear it apart unless you need to! Please let us know what you decide.

Attachments

• New2-InchExhaustElbowJuly2004-small.JPG
    New2-InchExhaustElbowJuly2004-small.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 68

duncan59

Is it really asbestos?

OK guys, I will take a picture and post it at the end of this weekend. Then all the brains can decide what it is. Meanwhile, I might pop on a cheap respirator and snip a small amount into a baggy for testing.

Duncan

Brisdon

Inactive Member
They used asbestos straight through the seventies as far as I know. My 1977 E-35-2 had asbestos wrap. We were well into the eighties before asbestos was limited for all industrial applications. But don't go overboard with the fear thing. More people have probably been hurt by Teflon.

duncan59

asbestos used through the 1970s...

Thanks Brisdon. So you had asbestos wrap on your '77 Ericson E35-2. Do you remember how you got it out of there?

Duncan

HGSail

Member III
I just replaced mine a year ago whe I rebuilt my A4. I just cut it and removed it. Exposure wasn't a concern, For you have prolonged exposure to it over years. The only way that I could see getting that is to stick your head in the engine compartment every time you are at your boat, Put your nose up to it and start inhaling while you scrape at it for a couple hours at a time. In other words the amount of asbestos that you will be exposed to while removing it IS NOT going to affect you in the long run unless you make a habit of it or deal with it for a living. Just dampen it, Cut it and remove it.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Brisdon

Inactive Member
Hey Duncan. Well, it' been a while. We replaced everything from the engine all the way to the transom with new exhaust system. Not a good idea to hack into asbestos with a sawzall because it vibrates the crap out of it. We cut the wrap away from any metal that was being cut and then bagged the sections and removed them from the boat. Cushions were out and the boat was pretty much stripped of stuff. I did a good scrub and wash of the bilge and all the underseat lockers etc. because I wanted to paint before the new system went in. Get it wet, wear masks, keep the air misted. I think it took about an hour to get the old exhaust system out.

When I was in 6th grade I won the fire chief award for my school. One kid from each school went to meet the Mayor at a big picnic in Griffith Park. There was an assembly in the school auditorium the day the award was given. I went up on stage and the guy from the fire department put this big heavy coat on me, and a fire hat, and they took my picture. The coat was this dusty grey heavy thing and I asked what it was made of, and the guy said "that's asbestos son, that there is a fireproof coat" and he smacked me on the back. Dust probably flew out of it. Who knows, maybe I'm already doomed. In the 60's they actually used asbestos in cigarette filters. People just didn't know then about the danger of breathing it.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I looked it up, it was Kent Cigarettes, and it was from 1952 until 1957 that they put the asbestos in the cigarette filters.

"They were a witch…to inhale," said Dorothy Peters, whose husband Sidney’ a Specialties worker, died of asbestosis and lung cancer at the age of 51. "You had to pull your guts out to smoke the damn things."

There is a good article at:

http://www.aliciapatterson.org/APF1005/Levin/Levin.html

Last edited:

chaco

Member III
Test Services and Labs

We routinely run in to Asbestos Pipe Insulation and Duct Sealant in HVAC.
The only way to tell what you have run in to and what to do about it is
Testing and Lab Results :nerd:
We use A-Tech (Santa Ana) for Testing (714.434.6360) and AmeriSci
(Carson) for Lab Services (310.834.4868).
Both of these outfits are a WORLD of information and help with toxic problems
You can send in samples for Testing as you follow their instructions.

Good Luck :egrin: :egrin: