Navtec backstay adjuster

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Can anyone recommend an outfit in the NE to rebuild my Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster? I do not care as much about price than I do about quality and turnaround time.

Thanks

joerun26

Member II
Tim -

I sent my Navetc hydraulic backstay adjuster to Chesapeake Rigging in Annapolis earlier this year. It had a leaking O'ring where the piston exits the cylinder (probably caused by UV degradation).. They are an authorized factory repair facility (the only one I was able to find) and they bench-test the unit after repair to ensure it holds pressure. I thought the cost was a little steep ( $359 ) but that included delivery. Biggest hit of course was labor. Their phone # is (410) 268-0956.

Good luck.

Joe
"Tenacious"
35-III

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I went through this last season. I used Rig Pro, 14 Regatta Way, Portsmouth, RI 02871 401-683-6966 They rebuilt my Navtec backstay adjuster, all new seals, fluid, etc. The only thing they didn't replace is the slightly crazed pressure gauge. Parts $114, Labor $130, tax $7.98 Total $251.98 I dropped it off on a Monday and had it back on Wednesday afternoon. Works flawlessly. There was a few tiny nicks in the shaft but they polished it out, no charge. Highly recommended.

Heres a tip: Depending on the size of the hydraulic unit, get a PVC plumbing end cap that fits over the body of the unit. Then drill a hole just slightly larger than the shaft in the PVC end cap. Mine was 1/2" The end cap installs on the unit, with the shaft passing through it. It serves as a sun/weather shield for the seal. The seal on mine looks like new after a season and a half. RT