Mother of all Broaches (At least to me!)

Bolo

Contributing Partner
But while I'm a pretty strict captain (though I never yell at people or sling insults), it's been heart warming to have my grandkids aboard, taking the helm and asking if we can stay sailing a little longer. :)
Important to bring the next generation of sailors along!
Frank
Oh, I didn’t yell at him. I told the boy in a calm, commanding tone. Often scarier than yelling. (You guys all know that I’m kidding about all of this….right?) ;)

Last Sunday was very “sporty”, for sure. We headed from Middle River to Selby Bay that day, and saw most of the conditions you all mentioned… but we didn’t broach . We returned yesterday in motor sailing in 0-4 knots of wind, uneventful except for hitting a 6 point buck (as in deer) about a mile above the Bay Bridge. Yes, in the boat. In the middle of the channel. They don’t look like a crab pot, or at the very least, maybe a black crab pot covered in algae. He had about 1.5 miles to go to the shore below the Magothy. I wanted to call a Pan-Pan, but the Captain said “and say what?He’s a moving target.” Apparently they can swim up to 10 miles . So onwards went the buck, as well as us. IMG_3534.jpeg

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Last Sunday was very “sporty”, for sure. We headed from Middle River to Selby Bay that day, and saw most of the conditions you all mentioned… but we didn’t broach . We returned yesterday in motor sailing in 0-4 knots of wind, uneventful except for hitting a 6 point buck (as in deer) about a mile above the Bay Bridge. Yes, in the boat. In the middle of the channel. They don’t look like a crab pot, or at the very least, maybe a black crab pot covered in algae. He had about 1.5 miles to go to the shore below the Magothy. I wanted to call a Pan-Pan, but the Captain said “and say what?He’s a moving target.” Apparently they can swim up to 10 miles . So onwards went the buck, as well as us. View attachment 48314
:oops:
Last Sunday was very “sporty”, for sure. We headed from Middle River to Selby Bay that day, and saw most of the conditions you all mentioned… but we didn’t broach . We returned yesterday in motor sailing in 0-4 knots of wind, uneventful except for hitting a 6 point buck (as in deer) about a mile above the Bay Bridge. Yes, in the boat. In the middle of the channel. They don’t look like a crab pot, or at the very least, maybe a black crab pot covered in algae. He had about 1.5 miles to go to the shore below the Magothy. I wanted to call a Pan-Pan, but the Captain said “and say what?He’s a moving target.” Apparently they can swim up to 10 miles . So onwards went the buck, as well as us. View attachment 48314
I just checked the chart for a deer crossing in that area and found nothing. Maybe the Coast Guard needs to float one of those special “deer crossing” buoys in that area. :egrin:

deer crossing.jpg

Robid

Joe the Bosun married and decided to have a sailing honeymoon with his non-sailing new bride on their 35 footer. They hit the straits of Juan De Fuca at the wrong time! Marriage lasted 6 months. My sailing buddy's wife can be a bit timid in a blow. Pete was smart enough to show her a few things of control..."honey can you let out the thingie?" meaning the traveller...and slowly over the years she has developed into a fine crewmate.