Mother of all Broaches (At least to me!)

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Well, after about 22 years or more of sailing on the Chesapeake Bay it finally happened to me. I broached the boat. Oh, I’ve broached the boat before but nothing like I did last Sunday which for me was the “Mother of All Broaches”. A little back ground first. My brother & sister in law, who live in North Carolina, came up for a long anticipated sail with my wife and I on our E32-3, Vesper. He is way more into sailing than her but she being the good wife, I think, goes along with it and does enjoy sailing…until the boat begins to heal. Get my point?

The winds for last Sunday were predicted to be about 15 knots with gust to 20, from the west, and two foot seas. No big deal for us (lighter than most sailboats) Ericson sailors. Just reef the main and roll out a partial jib and for most of the day that certainly worked give us a fast and comfortable ride. I did some finer adjustments with the traveler to keep it around 15 degrees since I found that it’s the “sweet spot” for my E32-3 which was confirmed by reaching and maintaining hull speed many times during our sail that day with moderate weather helm.

Still, my sister-in-law passenger was “uncomfortable” to the point of asking if the boat could “flip over” (her words) in the wind conditions we were experiencing. One of my strategies I use when uncomfortable people are aboard, be it from nerves or “Mal de mer”, is to get them behind the wheel. It sometimes freaks them out at first but I assure the reluctant helms man (or woman) that I’d be standing next to them and if anything started to go amiss I would take over. It always settles their nerves and stomachs because they’re too busy trying not to screw up and ,surprise, they have fun doing it. At the same time I describe some basic keel boat physics to them on things like why it’s very unlikely the boat will flip over.

But my sister-in-law refused to get behind the wheel even though she and her husband have chartered smaller sail boats before and sailed in mildly rough conditions. She choose just to sit there and voice her nervousness about the wind, swells, some white caps, and 15 degree heel. She also said at one point, “When do we start the engine again?” Her husband on the other hand was having a blast because I had him behind the wheel most of the time except for those situations where my local knowledge on where to go came into play and docking. He was actually laughing when the occasional swell broke over the bow and made it back to the cockpit. I have to say it was a great sail which most of us loved. I say most but even my experienced sailor of a wife who learned how to sail in high school, which was a long time ago, was also getting nervous. Apprehension and fear can be a contagious thing but with all that we sailed on just fine until I started to tack us back towards Back Creek where we dock Vesper.

Anyone who’s familiar with the Chesapeake Bay will tell you that there are times when the sailing can be a challenge in strong winds. It’s not because of the windy conditions exactly but mostly caused by the many rivers and streams that feed the bay where winds can get pinched or squeezed into a sudden increased velocity. The winds were from the west as I mentioned before and we were sailing north west towards Mill Creek which is just north of the three big radio towers which are a prominent landmark near Annapolis. So at that point we were in the lee of the western shore. I tacked the boat to about south west to head towards the Severn River. After I made the turn I could see that the winds were now at 20 knots while we were still in the lee. However as we cleared the Greenbury Point (where the towers are located) the winds went up to about 26 knots. It was here where I was regretting not putting in the second reef. I also had about a 70% jib out which I should have pulled into about 50% or less before my tack when the winds were less. So big mistakes there. Plus the complaints, not going to name names at this point, were coming in fast and furious although my brother-in-law who was on the windward side along with everyone else had a big smile on his face. I was at the helm and worrying about at least one of my passengers and not paying as much attention to the conditions as I should. Distraction can be a fatal flaw sometimes but fortunately not this time. However it was enough not to notice too late that I was on the fine line of broaching, which I did…..with…as they sometimes say….", prejudice”. Vesper suddenly, violently and without warning that I noticed (because I was distracted) turned sharply to windward and no amount of rudder was going to change that, but then she heeled over more than 45 degrees. Would you call that “knock down”? It sure felt like one to me as I and everyone else fell down onto the cockpit deck. I happen to note the wind speed which was about 32 knots and going up but then I could see the starboard deck underwater and a waterfall coming over the coaming and into the cockpit filling it with about a foot of water.

Of course it seemed like to it took much longer for Vesper to right herself and even longer for the water to drain from the cockpit but both things did happen in short order. So what about everyone on board? My brother-in-law and I were laughing. My wife was speechless and my sister-in-law was too but with a look in her eyes that said, “Can we really start the engine and go in NOW!?” Which, of course I did but I did tell her, “Now that was a broach!” No water intruded beyond the bridge deck although during the broach there was a loud crash in the galley. Seems like the tilting bin, where we keep the pots and pans, flew open because the latch wasn’t properly closed but no real damage wasmdone below and on deck. I was patting my self on the back for having all of the rigging replaced last spring and taking stock on what I learning from it all but regretting that I didn't have my GoPro turned on to capture it all for my YouTube channel. Sailing for the next day was cancelled, even though there was less wind but somewhat frayed nerves about going out again were still fresh. Of course, my brother-in-law and I were ready and willing but we’re both married to our first mates and you married sailors need no explanation.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Bob,
Now that sounds exciting. While sailing the Chesapeake, I found Magothy River to pack a punch also.

When I was learning to sail, I broached any number of times but, with expanded sailing experiences I now don't fear them as I did early on.

Still, there are times when we come around a sheltered position and find ourselves in a little more wind than you might expect.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
It sounds like a great day of sailing, and nothing that a dinner out with a nice glass of wine won't fix for the first mates/crew. :)
You're right that one of the challenges of having others aboard is the distraction they can cause, and it only takes a momentary lapse in concentration for things to happen.
Frank

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Bob,
Now that sounds exciting. While sailing the Chesapeake, I found Magothy River to pack a punch also.

When I was learning to sail, I broached any number of times but, with expanded sailing experiences I now don't fear them as I did early on.

Still, there are times when we come around a sheltered position and find ourselves in a little more wind than you might expect.
Oh yes, the Magothy. I've been broached at that rivers entrance too but not as bad as the other day.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
It sounds like a great day of sailing, and nothing that a dinner out with a nice glass of wine won't fix for the first mates/crew. :)
You're right that one of the challenges of having others aboard is the distraction they can cause, and it only takes a momentary lapse in concentration for things to happen.
Frank
We did do some drinking that night and all of the crew laughed about what had happened.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
When I take people sailing I cut the rig way down. A reef in 15 knots, or even less. Half the genoa.

My goal is that of a 787 pilot or a Carnival Cruise lines captain--the passengers should think sailing is easy, and not spill their drinks.
I usually do that but my brother in law, Brian, is a newbie enthusiastic sailor who is use to sailing in windy conditions. But with his wife aboard I should have been more conservative or left her on the beach. Brian and I have chartered a 28 foot boat in Charleston harbor early this year under windy conditions and we had a blast.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Good story Bob! Hind sight is a great thing. I learned to clearly explain that the boat was designed to lean. And lean a lot! I tell them how much the boat weighs and the amount of weight on the very bottom of it. I do this well ahead of departure. I also have the most nervous person sit as far aft as possible. Amazing how fear is contagious! Seems to help -but not always! When it doesn't, I assure them that "it just takes time to get use to" and that you will have to come back. a few more times. At worst case - "It's not for everyone" seems to bring some amount of relief.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The summer I learned to sail on the Charles River I found that some of those I was teaching for the first time really did not like being in a sailboat since it is by its nature unstable even on flat water. A few could not adjust, one was so anxious I took her straight back to the dock. Most settled down but there comes a point where it is clearly not going to happen, particularly if there is not a willingness to try.

Eight years later I took some friends of friends from Ohio on Freyja out the pass of Pensacola Bay, and ended up having to put them ashore. That is a story I may write up here sometime.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Bolo

Contributing Partner
The summer I learned to sail on the Charles River I found that some of those I was teaching for the first time really did not like being in a sailboat since it is by its nature unstable even on flat water. A few could not adjust, one was so anxious I took her straight back to the dock. Most settled down but there comes a point where it is clearly not going to happen, particularly if there is not a willingness to try.

Eight years later I took some friends of friends from Ohio on Freyja out the pass of Pensacola Bay, and ended up having to put them ashore. That is a story I may write up here sometime.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972
I have found, that in most cases but not all, a person who is new to sailing either loves it or hates it. My sister-in-law, the one from my story, once brought her young son, maybe 13 at the time, sailing with us years ago. He’s an adult now. Anyway, we went out an heeled maybe…10 degrees and he started to cry! Said that the boat was going to turn over and then, “I’d rather be home doing my homework!” What kid says that!! He’s never been on our boat again, probably never will too, and so I guess it proves that the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree. :)

Frank Langer

What do you do when a 13-year-old on your boat is frightened? Do you slap them, like Patton?
That's a big problem, unfortunate for the 13 year old. But I would try to explain about the boat, how heavy the keel is, why it needs to heel to sail well, and then put him on the helm with me right beside him, explain telltales, luffing sails, and to be careful of the boom. After an hour he might be smiling. :)
Frank

Bolo

Contributing Partner
What do you do when a 13-year-old on your boat is frightened? Do you slap them, like Patton?
Well, to be honest my sister-in-law’s other younger son was acting up on board once. He was fearless and kept running up out of the cockpit to the foredeck without my permission and was oblivious to my sister-in-law’s pleas of, “Now don’t do that! Behave yourself!” My solution was to tell him that I was the captain and if someone misbehaves then I can throw him overboard. “Harsh”, you might say? Maybe….but it worked. He also never came on board again. Us old Camden, NJ boys take no bilge (I was going to use a different word) from no one. :mad:

Frank Langer

Yeah, it's important to be very clear on who's in charge of the boat, and consequences for not obeying the captain. It's important for the safety of everyone on board. Newbies often don't recognize the risks or potential dangers.
Frank

Frank Langer

But while I'm a pretty strict captain (though I never yell at people or sling insults), it's been heart warming to have my grandkids aboard, taking the helm and asking if we can stay sailing a little longer. :)
Important to bring the next generation of sailors along!
Frank