Mast Gate and Batten Cars

RKCRWLR

Member II
Got my new Mack sails in. I was surprised to find that they use batten cars... nice feature that I had overlooked. However, the batten car can not drop below the mast gate for reefing, esentially it creats a sail stop above the gate. While its still possible to reef, it leaves a bulk of sail to deal with above the boom. Anyone have a solution for this? Looks like I would need to modify the style of gate. Thanks!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Jacklines

Search for this topic-it is an easy fix, and Mack Sails should do it for you for free if you explain your problem and tell them you want them..

RKCRWLR

Member II
Follow-up

Follow up on this... I had a jackline on the Elliott Pattison main previously. As the EP had slugs and would slide easily past the gate, there appeared to be no reason to have a jackline on the Mack. It has all worked out regardless. I added a Davis sail stop above the gate, so the bat car stops without bind. Sailing this week, I was forced to reef, both 1st and second. The spacing is sufficient to allow easy attachment to the horns. The cars made sail handling a snap, even with a lot of pressure on the sail. I could not be more pleased with the sail overall and find no need to flake to the boom (gate is about 8 inches above) and the sail cover fits fine. So for anyone considering a Mack sail, I can't say enough good about the sail and the service:egrin:.