Low oil pressure buzzer

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Has anyone changed out that obnoxious sounding low oil pressure buzzer with one that doesn't cause brain damage. Even listening to this the 30 seconds or so to glow before starting cold makes me want to drink profuse quantities of rum.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Oil Pressure Buzzer

Kim: My 87 E35-3 does not have a buzzer......it has a very small, almost non seeable(for lack of a better term) Light.....red.....it glows when there is no oil pressure......I would guess that you could just cut the buzzer out of the circut.....

I had considered putting in a larger light....an LED, and also a buzzer.....but a friend of mine simply said" OK the buzzeer comes on when you are in the middle of the inlet with the tide coming in or going out.....you gonna shut off the engine?".....

I got the message......

Still might do the larger light later....12 volts is 12 volts.....

FWIW

Mort Fligelman

Guy Stevens

A better idea for both of you

Put a switch in the buzzer circuit, a simple mini toggle that turns off the buzzer. I would generally make this a hold in the off position on one side, a middle that is on, and a switch off on the other side, a three way toggle. That way you can hold it for the first 30 seconds of charging in the hold position, and if you are in the middle of the inlet, then you can turn it off and continue to ruin your engine without the noise making it worse.

Guy
:)

Ian S

Member III
Yea it's annoying but I like the fact that I know it's working prior to start up. It also buzzes slightly until the oil pressure comes on line and stabilizes so I know that not only is the audible alarm working but the pressure switch as well. A good thing to have when you start a very expensive engine to replace. If you disable it you must have a way of confirming that it is functioning properly. I doubt the light alone would be enough to catch my attention in time to shut down prior to damaging the engine.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thanks for the responses. No way will I disable the beast. Nor would I modify it to be switched off. (I would probably forget it was off). But, I was hoping that maybe there was some type of replacement available that didn't sound like I was being drilled on by a dentist 30 years ago.

Newer boats seem to have a sound more like a steady chime, beep or whistle. Hard to explain.

Has anyone replaced the buzzer with one that is easier on the nerves but is still loud enough to hear if there is trouble when under power?

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I kind of agree with Guy but I would install a momentary off switch that you have to hold in during the glow plug sequence during starting.
If proper maintenance is maintained meaning correct oil filters and oil and a functioning raw water system, a snow ball has a better chance on the grill than you losing an auxiliary diesel engine during motoring. These sail boat diesels are so understressed they will run a very long time.

Gary Peterson
E381 QUIXOTIC # 507 :egrin:

Jim Mobley

Member II
Without seeing a wiring diagram I can't say for sure this would work, but the ideal situation would be to wire the glow plug relay to the accessory and run positions of the "ignition" switch--if the switch has an accessory position.

This way the glow plugs could be heated in the accessory position without switching the ignition to run, keeping the low oil buzzer silent until the engine is ready to be started.

Alternatively, install a separate glow plug heater switch. I'd leave the low oil buzzer obnoxious and wouldn't put a switch in it's circuit.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Oil buzzer? What oil buzzer? I am guessing that its one of those things that died or was disabled a while back in the Universal wiring harness. I have gauges and check them frequently. I agree with Gary, well maintained engines rarely, very rarely, catastrophically fail. RT

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
What? Me worry?

I installed a buzzer that lets the whole marina know when I start my engine. I could throw in a resister to quiet it down, but I don't hear very well, and I really want to know when a problem appears. It doesn't sound so loud when the engine is running.

At ten to fifteen $k for a repower I have no problem bothering my neighbors.

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
What if your oil light stays on?

My oil light has been staying on even after I changed to oil.

2 things I think could be wrong:

1. Oil pump is not pumping - hard to believe as I believe engine would seize!
2. Sending unit is shot.

Where is the sending unit on a Universal 5424 and if it's bad, where do I get a new one?

Anything else I should check this spring?

Jason

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Oil pressure switch

Jason - Oil pressure switches are pretty much generic. Go to any auto parts store. Some have a stud like the one in the picture, and others have a male quick disconnect spade. Don't put tape on it when you install it as it has to make an electrical connection to the engine.

The thread is 1/8-27 (1/8" pipe). I made a pipe "T" so I could mount a second switch to run a buzzer. The stud is 10-32.

On the M-25XP it is on the starboard side below the manifold, recognizable by the single light blue wire coming off of it. The wire is probably painted the same as the engine. :)

If you can't get it off with a pair of pliers there is a socket wrench that is made for the purpose which just costs a few bucks.

That's probably more than you ever wanted to know about oil pressure switches. ;)

Attachments

• Oil Pressure Sw.jpg
    Oil Pressure Sw.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 230

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Tim, I will keep you in mind on the buzzer. Looks like I will probably keep the old one as I was hoping to hear from someone on this site that has already changed to a friendlier sounding one. Doesn't seem that anyone has. When I have time I will do some more checking around.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Kim,
A friendlier sounding buzzer? What's next - softer cushions ?!
Seriously - I want that bad boy to be as loud and obnoxious as possible so there is no mistaking what it means.

Gary Peterson
E381 QUIXOTIC #507
:egrin:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
You know, I appreciate everyones input on this site. What a wealth of knowlege and experience that people are willing to share. It is also a real treat when we can give someone an opportunity to "puff up their ego".

newgringo

Member III
Low Oil Buzzer Lock Out Relay

My solution to my noisy Buzzer during Glow Plug preheat was to install a small normally closed relay in series with the buzzer circuit. Then I used Glow Plug power to energize the Relay. Result is that buzzer will not work any time the Glow Plugs are energized. Works neat. Whole job took about $5 and a couple hours. Circuit diagram and photo available by request. email "griggs@centurytel.net".

e38 owner

Member III
Over heating

Although It is not in the proper thread has anyone installed a buzzer to indicate if the temp gets to high. Although I check the gauge regularly this summer a belt broke and caused may engine to overheat. I caught it before any damage was done, but it was at night and a buzzer would have been nice

newgringo

Member III
Yes. My buzzer circuit also has an overtemperature sensor so either low oil
pressure and/or high temperature sets off the buzzer. Would probably be an
easy modification for you to add a temp sensor. Now the type of sensor
depends on the actual buzzer circuitry. Mine needs a circuit closure to
ground to set the buzzer off. Other are the reverse.
Jerry

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Cole-Hersee Marine Engine Warning Kit

I installed the Cole-Hersee M-40177-BP Marine Engine Warning Kit several years ago. It is available from most dealers (Defender $34) and includes the buzzer and two switches, temperature and oil pressure.

I teed the oil pressure switch off of the original switch and put the temperature switch in line on the water heater input hose. The in line connection isn't ideal, but my engine only has one available port on the thermostat housing.

Having had a belt break, I know it works. :nerd: