Lines aft on a 32-II

Matey

Member III
I guess prior to drilling holes would have been a better time to ask .. but any input on my lines-aft layout ?
On this side I'm bringing back the main halyard, 1st reef and either a 2nd reef or spinnaker halyard (depending on need).
One block is backordered (halyard thru the mast plate) and I have a #18 two speed winch to replace the cup:)

Attachments

• 1 070.jpg
    1 070.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 1 069.jpg
    1 069.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1 071.jpg
    1 071.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 73

ChrisS

Member III
Greg--

That's pretty much the same set up as mine--works great. The only thing I would warn you about is that when I drilled the holes for the clutch, the inboard holes I drilled weren't in a cored deck area, the outboard ones were. (There were six holes total, two rows of three). So plan on injecting some epoxy if you come across that, letting it cure, and redrilling.

When will the rain stop? It's feeling spring-like.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Looks like mine, too. What brand deck organizers did you use? The clutches look like Spinlock; did you use the XAS0612 model?

I want to replace the double clutch on my starboard side with a triple to add a spinnaker halyard. There is not as much room however on the starboard side to route lines between the pedestal that the traveler is mounted on and the raised trunk that the companionway hatch slides into...you don't have that problem.

Matey

Member III
Chris ,

Thanks, I was looking at a picture of yours. Yea .. either way I was planning on drilling, filling and re-drilling. The 3/4" or so gap between the headliner and deck core makes it a pain too. I was thinking of over sized holes in the headliner so I can thru-bolt fittings to the deck & core. Then plugs - ughh .. or a cover plate

I too, am way ready for some spring. Still looking at Corinthian Race ?
.. we finished first in class at Berkeley Mid-Winters in the 22 .. all bullets

email me if you have any rudder news ?

Regards, Greg

windjunkee

Member III
Wish I had pictures that were uploadable.

Nevertheless, I have a two-line deck organizer and rope clutch on the port side cabin top where I have my main halyard and jib halyard run. On the starboard side, I have a 3 line deck organizer and 3 line rope clutch where I have the spin halyard, spare halyard and vang control.

On the port side of the cabin (on the side, not on top), I have a cam cleat for running my spin 'tweener'. On the starboard side I have two cam cleats, one for the spinnaker foreguy (or, for our Code Zero, the tack line) and one for the spin 'tweener'.

We left our reefing lines on the boom and our spin pole topping lift (or staysail halyard) on the mast.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Matey

Member III
The organizers are Harken's mid-range .. I think #1501's and that is the Spinlock model I used. The blocks are 57mm carbo's. Pricey stuff .. all.
My Son is a rigger, so that helps :rolleyes: $$
Room & routing, while fun stuff to cypher is challenging. I had a bunch of interior contours I was trying to work around as well.

I'd like to see some pictures Jim and was hoping you might chime in as I know you've built your 32 to race. I've been using the iphone for pictures. I love that thing .. but that's another story.
Bringing the main halyard and reef line(s) back was a must as I shorten up very regularly out here and some of my racing is double handed and eventually single.
With the reefs, outhaul and flattener inside the boom, bringing them aft will be real clean. I opted for a MK4 furler last year, so I have the jib halyard on a mast mounted clutch. My topping lift comes back to the port cabin top and the foreguy is on both cabin-sides. Haven't rigged twings, but might. I started using double sheets and guys with my chute after some big round downs. I was used to the single sheet and guy set-up from -30' boats .. but have been schooled accordingly.
My new (to me ) boom has a rigid vang .. that I love by the way. But I need more purchase. I'm going to build a cascading tackle and lead it back by the topping lift (another post) ??
It's fun to be rigging ! I've been in the bowels of this boat far too long :cool:

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• 1 065.jpg
    1 065.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 64

windjunkee

Member III
Greg,

Glad to oblige. We're still doing full crewed races, but have really started rigging for the PSSA races around here, which are single/double hand concentrating on the offshore races of 50 nm or more. The winds are lighter down here in LA. so there's not as much emphasis on the easy ability to shorten sail. I still don't have a problem going to the mast to reef, even when its blowing 40. Its bouncing around the foredeck ahead of the mast in those conditions that gets the adrenaline pumping.

We added the Mk IV furler also last summer and put a #2 on it. Thought about switching the halyard location around, but left it because we can still run the #1 or #3 up the forestay even with furler on during the full crew races.

We put inside jib car tracks on the deck for the #3 and had to drill holes all over the place for the tracks, starboard side winch, rope clutch and organizer.
We also switched out the old main sheet traveller for one that is adjustable. That was a chore. In each case, we had to strengthen the core with epoxy before mounting the hardware.

I'm pulling out the SSB to mount in the Catalina I'll be racing Transpac with this summer, but I'll do my best to take some moderate-resolution pics of our various hardware and electronics and communications configurations before I start pulling stuff out.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Code O??

Sorry to hijack this, but I curious about the Code 0 on this boat..

Jim,

I know how they are usually used, but on a 32-2? Tell me what size is it, do you fly from a furler? what are the wind ranges and what is it made of?

Most of all, how is it compared to what you would have used in the same conditions (Light #1 I would guess?)

Cool stuff Jim-you are breaking some interesting ground!

Cheers

windjunkee

Member III
Seth,

I made the choice to go with a Code Zero. When I decided to go with a furler, I elected to go with a #2 rather than the #1 so as not to lose too much in the way of sail shape. We stayed with the kevlar 3DL and the #2 is far more versatile. Most of the races we do are point-to-point off wind races and I reasoned that in the instances when we needed our maximum sail area, we would not be close hauled. So I traded off the #1 for the #2 and went with the Code Zero for the light air without taking a rating hit.
The way we fly it - we run a tack line off a spectra loop and block we have attached to the anchor roller. (We had to reinforce the anchor roller to take the added pressure). We trim with regular spin sheets, but in order to get a good shape we have to use the tweeners. We can carry it to about 45 degrees true. I can't remember what the sail material is, but its a North Sail. Its their proprietary name.
It has been fun getting used to sailing with it and makes a big difference in our speed.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA