leak at ER 35 III cabintop Guard

jim kizziar

Member I
I have a 1986 ER 35 III with the stainless guard over the deck box forward of the mast. the guard is thru bolted with self locking nuts on the underside of the deck and inside the headliner. A small leak has developed, and the water runs inside the headliner and is discoloring the teak cabin sides trim. there is no access to the bolts/nuts and repair options appear to be (1) split headliner to get access to nuts and then cover with patch of some kind, or (2) take out large section of headliner forward of the mast and then replace/reinstall.

has anyone experienced this problem and what was your solution?

Is there a source for matching headliner, since I don't want this project to become a new headliner for the entire cabin?

cruis-n

Member II
Not an uncommon problem

There are a number of us with the same problem. In many cases, the problem is with the dorade box and the 'winch handle' pocket between the two vents.

I have an '84 that had the problem. I ended up digging out the material with a screwdriver and a dremmel tool from the top. Let it dry for 3-4 months, then filled it with epoxy with filler added. Three layers of glass, and painted it. I keep the 'winch pocket' covered with an aluminum plate. It was a poorly executed part of the manufacture.

A friend down the dock with an '83 did his repair from below. I've heard of people removing the dorade box completely, doing the repair, and then re-glassing the dorade box back on the deck. Definately not for the timid!!!

You might go look at the Pacific Seacraft site. On their discussion board for Ericsons, there is some discussion of the problem. Also check out the Ericson owners mailing list archive on sailnet.com. The subject comes up there periodically.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Me too...

I've got the same issue - but the problem area was inside the dorades - not in the pocket.

In my case, the vent pipe running from the dorade through the cabin roof had cracked, and was allowing water to access the foam behind the headliner - resulting in the same staining and eventual rotting of the teak.

My (temp) fix was pull the bung and screws from the liner molding, then the (non-monel) rusting staples behind them to access the backing plates for the dorade guard. Then pop those nuts and pull the guard off and rebed it with Dolfinite. I then pulled the dorades out, and had a cover made from Sunbrella to keep the entire thing dry. Until I could come back with the long term fix.

This summer I'll be pulling guard again - but this time, I'll be coating the entire inside of the dorades with epoxy - and will be glassing in/sealing off the winch handle box as well (with a bit of stainless on top).

Then I can put the two stainless dorade vents I've been hiding for two years back where they belong.

So - don't be shy. Get out your drill, wood chisle (sp?), screw driver, wrench, masking tape, needle nose vise grips (for the staples), etc and fix it for now, and then when you can, do it right - or , the damage will just continue....

//sse

John Yandow

Member I
Hi, same problem too. I traced mine to the dorade pocket. I was getting water inside the cabin above the starboard side port light.
I ended up making a teak cover for the top of the dorade to cover up the opening in the middle of the two vents. I did this in the spring of 2001 and have not had one drop of water in the cabin to date. Just my 2 cent.....

jim kizziar

Member I
thanks for the suggestion regarding the teak cover for the winch handle box. how did you attach the cover? was it a solid piece or hinged so you could still use the box?

John Yandow

Member I
Hi, I hate to say how it's on there, I just ran a bead of silicon around the opening and stuck the teak down, I did cut it to fix. I really had forgotten all about it. I had planned to screw it down, but never got around to it. I didn't see a need to use the box because everything goes back to the cockpit. I found it at West Marine, it's a Solid Teak Step Plates. I think it's on page 645 of the 2003 West Marine catalog.

Here is a shot looking forward - updated

Last edited:

jim kizziar

Member I
I wanted to report on the deck dorade box and guard leak problem and offer thanks to those who contributed to the "fix". Per Sean's suggestion, I removed teak trim and staples from headliner and rebedded the guard; problem partially solved. Per John's suggestion (and photo), I purchased a teak step plate from West Marine, fitted and varnished it, and installed over the dorade box opening. looks great and after liberal applications of the water hose and several Texas gulley-washer rains, no further leaks. thanks to all who helped me solve this problem.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Finally Finished Mine!

Well - the boat is at the brokers!

And after looking at your teak cover, John - I pulled out Mr. Sabresaw and made one of my own (from some teak stock I had laying about).

Tossed it up there, bedded it with Dolfinite, and knocked six SS screws through it, bakced with bungs and varnish.... Turned out pretty nice!

Too bad it took selling the boat to get me to complete it! :boohoo:

//sse

Attachments

• final_project.jpg
    final_project.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 230