It all started out with a low alternator output..................

Frank G

Member II
Hi folks
I'm really tired of working on my boat and just wanna sail, or win the Powerball and buy a new one. But alas, I can't buy a new Ericson anyway.
Here goes:
I wasn't getting a good charge on my batteries from the alternator. I check it and find only about 12.1 volts coming out. I take it to Gabby's alternator shop (what a place as you can imagine). Gabby special orders a new regulator, takes the alternator apart and reworks it and applies some waterproof stuff after he hears I use it on a boat. 85 bucks. Not bad.
I go to reinstall and can't tighten the belt on my 1985 Universal M-25 as the bolt is stripped out in the female threads in the exhause manifold. In Tennessee they call this "wallered out" Perfect term. I study the problem online on this board, Google, the Catalina 34 and 30 websites (those folks are really, really helpful, and just too happy to help out us Vikings) I learn about the alternator bracket upgrade, and am thankful I didn't get an engine failure from the many bad things which would happen if you don't upgrade. spend 165 bucks to get the kit from Torrenson.
While working on the engine I discover that the 1 1/4" pipe coming out of the back of the exhaust manifold bracket is very loose. Great, more expense, time, work, yadda yadda.
I take the mixing box off and exhaust hose and bracket. I'm very glad the bolts did come loose. 79 bucks for new bracket, 20 for new hose, a few bucks for new nipple.
Since the water/exhause mixing device was loose and moving around, and quite heavy it was rubbing on the heat exchanger. There is quite a bit of copper gone/rubbed away. Upon further inspection I see that it set up some stress cracks and was getting ready to blow at any time. 420 bucks for a generic 3" heat exchanger from torrenson. so now I'm diverted to a heat exchanger job too.
So while I'm at it I decide I better change all my hoses. After all the water is drained, t he boat is about 25 years old. Makes sense. While I'm at it why not change out the impeller. Take the cover off and discover that someone didn't use a gasket, but some kind of form-a-gasket material. This squeezed into the pump, but it could be removed. The impeller looked like mashed up rubber bands. Another potential disaster.
So I order an impeller puller for 65 bucks
I order new hose material and all new smooth surface clamps. This was about 170 bucks.
I'm sure I'm way over a grand or maybe 1200. I'm on my own personal economic stimulus recovery plan now. But since I'm not a CEO with a jet and multi million bonus plan I don't qualify for one myself. Maybe Obama will share some wealth with me. Yeah, right. He said he wants more of mine to give to Pelosi.
So then I read on this board that when you upgrade to a 3" heat exchanger you cannot remove the tranny dipstick. Great.
So I'm doing a lot of twisting, turning, stretching and get sore back and muscles. Some folks accuse me of getting old just because I'm 57.
I'm glad to get a break to go out to Vegas for a wedding at some motel called Bellagio, and I'm looking forward to going to Cesar's palace sports book to watch the BCS championship and put down a Benjamin on my beloved Florida Gators (class of 73) I'm still kinda sore and then picking up my suitcase and turning on my way out the door I really put the hurts on my back. Almost to tears and cannot hardly move. Quickly cancel my trip and beg for refunds from Delta, hote, car, etc.
Got an MRI and going to see a neurosurgeon who I do anesthesia for sometimes. He sails sometimes too. Thinks this whole story is really funny.

So the folks at the sailing club tell me that I'm really lucky to find these problems before I have to spend big bucks on an engine.

so why don't I feel lucky?

I'll get around to working on the project soon.

I hope that you find this amusing. I'm sure trying to.
And do you know what it has cost me in beer while doing this project?

when the world economy bounces back, you can thank me.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for contributing to the economy Frank. We all appreciate it. especially the bucks spent on booze.

This story is very typical of someone getting into a new vessel.

The HE can be positioned in such a way that the dipstick on the tranny will come out. It does on mine. Of course I need 3 hands to do it:rolleyes:

Also, plan on replacing the impellor once a year(preventative). I have never used the puller tool. My leatherman grips the vanes pretty well and it is never in there long enough to attach itself to anything that would require the puller.

The good news is that your engine is so much better now and you saved a ton of money on the alternator repair by taking it to an automotive shop.

Keep up the good work and remember that they don't build them like this anymore so forget the new boat! Besides, you need the lottery winings to finish this one and go cruising full time:egrin:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Sorry to hear about all your challenges. As a fellow sailor aged 57, I can appreciate the sore back, joints and the fun of working in tight spaces not meant for our bodies.

While it may seem as if you are running into lots of problems, none of these is really unusual in my opinion, and is part of normal maintenance on a sailboat. Granted, once you have done some of these repairs, you won't have to do them again for awhile, but others will crop up. We bought a boat that was in exceptional condition--owned by a single guy with money who loved fixing up the boat. But in the first three years we still spent at least $5,000. on a whole range of things that were still needed. The list has decreased substantially (though upholstery will set us back alot), but I figure on about $1,500 per year on regular maintenance and replacement--some years more if I need a new sail, lifelines, engine work, etc. and some years less if it's just fluid changes, impellor, and bottom paint.

There is no question that boating is an expensive hobby, but it's also so much fun that I find it well worth while. Also, its important to get out sailing lots, so that boating isn't just the work part of it.

Good luck with your ongoing repairs, and with your back!

Frank
1984 E30+

tilwinter

Member III
Wallered out

Urban Dictionary: Wallered
Wallered. Out of round. Worn oversize. That there hole's done wallered out. worn sloppy loose unfit

From "Urban Dictionary"

Maine Sail

Member III
I know how you feel..

I know how you feel & it sounds like you are a lot like Tim and I.

Mine all started with this a cracked bell housing:
107573211.jpg

Of course it's now finally all ready to be put back together:
108672606.jpg

Here's what a cracked bell housing turned into:

Rebuilt the starter (WYIT) = (While you're in there)
Removed & refurbished HX
New PSS bellows, o-rings and set screws (WYIT)
New valve cover gasket
New thermostat (WYIT)
New HX gaskets
New rear main engine seal (WYIT)
New transmission damper plate & retaining bolts (WYIT)
Fit and face coupling to shaft
Trued prop shaft
New bell housing
All new engine hoses
Rebuilt bronze sea strainer and installed new gaskets
new motor mounts
All new AWAB hose clamps for entire engine
New 316 stainless split collar to be placed behind the PSS rotor on the prop shaft as added safety measure
New battery cable between starter and battery switch
Stripped all parts to bare metal and re-painted with Westerbeke red (tranny still not done yet)

etc. etc...

I am a firm believer in two things;

Any job worth doing, is a job worth doing right.

While you're in there fix other things before they break..

Last edited:

Frank G

Member II
Hey Main Sail
that's lots more expertise for your engine fixes than I have.

when it comes to engine mechanics I remember what Dirty Harry said: A man has got to know his limitations

I admire folks who know how to fix engines

Frank

Maine Sail

Member III
Hey Main Sail
that's lots more expertise for your engine fixes than I have.

when it comes to engine mechanics I remember what Dirty Harry said: A man has got to know his limitations

I admire folks who know how to fix engines

Frank

Really nothing more than righty-tighty lefty loosey.... Oh and a torque wrench for putting it all back together..;);)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
A lot of people are intimidated by mechanical devices. One of the first cars I ever owned came in boxes. I had to figure out how to put it all back together including the engine. I did and from then on I have always been willing to try fixing or building anything.