Hull/Deck joint leak

Guy Stevens

Tell Us more about the leak

Most of the 39's don't leak, it is a glassed over hull to deck joint, with a cover over it.

Most of the time it is not the hull to deck joint that is leaking it is normally some piece of deck hardware and the water is running down to the hull to deck joint.

Occasionally someone has done something "interesting" while trying to fix the rub rail and this can result in a fastener penetrating the hull to deck joint allowing the ingress of water.... If you are convinced that the issue is the hull to deck joint I would start looking for a fastener poking through to the inside.

That said, there have been a few that I have looked at that have had damage do to a collision that have leaked from the hull to deck joint. This is repairable, however before I make a recommendation on how to proceed I would like to know more about the damage and the conditions under which it leaks.

Thanks,

Last edited:

HughHarv

Hugh
Hull/deck leak

Guy, definitely think it's the hull/deck joint leaking. Tested with water poured onto the rubrail only. Right above the galley portal, and through a crack in the fiberglass tape on the joint, water ran in. I peeled off six inches of the tape and picked out the cracked mush in the joint. I could see a large diameter fastener that appears to have been run through the rubrail and is pentrating about an inch into the mush in the small joint between deck and hull. I don't yet know if there are more fasteners cause I haven't removed the rubber strip from the rubrail.

HughHarv

Hugh
Hull/deck leak

I should add that, after I opened up the joint six inches, water was poured in different spots on the rubrail and it looks like the majority of the water is coming in forward and uphill of the opened joint. Your comment about "interesting" fixes makes me think there are more fastener penetrations to be found in the area.

I think one extreme, but permanent fix would be to remove the outward turning flange, fiberglass the joint from the outside and fair it out for a "shaved" look? :cool:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I think one extreme, but permanent fix would be to remove the outward turning flange, fiberglass the joint from the outside and fair it out for a "shaved" look?

Yep, that would fix your leaks. This was done on a 39 called Blacks
Magic owned by photographer Billy Black. The lips were ground off,
glassed over, and faired before painting. If I had kept my 39, I
was fully intending to go this route as well, but not because of any leaks,
rather it was to eliminate that rubrail-an expedient production solution I could never entirely abide.

Martin

HughHarv

Hugh
Martin, nice to know that it has been done before. I bet Blacks Magic looked good. If you did this to your 39, would you go with two layers of 1 oz. mat and then fair it out?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had leaks all along the rubrail on an E23 Mk1 (Coaster). While a very much smaller job, here is a photo of Coaster after I removed the rubrail, ground down and faired the flange. On Coaster the fasteners penetrated the inner fiberglass strip at the hull to deck joint. Certainly stopped the leaks!

Attachments

• DSCN2830.jpg
    DSCN2830.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 472

HughHarv

Hugh
Good job, Coaster appears sleek and modern without the rubrail, good that the leaks are also history. Can you tell me more about the repair. Like how wide of material did you use, how many layers of glass did you apply, was it mat, cloth or both, and how long did it take?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Would this work on an E27

This is interesting. My rub rail has been missing since I got the boat and its ugly the way it is. I haven't really been looking forward to replacing the rubrail, either. Any reason this wouldn't work for the E27? Seems like it should be fine.

Thanks,

Doug

HughHarv

Hugh
Rubrail rub-out

If your E27 has the same outward turning flange and glassed inside joint then I'd assume it would work but I might want to hear from Martin or Guy just to be certain.

HughHarv

Hugh
Rubrail's are history!

Adela (my better half) and I Removed the rubber rail cover this weekend and found the plastic rubrail held on with screws driven 6" o.c. into the mush between the hull and deck. My youngest got a kick out of collecting all the stainless steel screws as they hit the ground. Seems that the rubber cover actually held water in the channel from midship aft.

With the cracks in the mush between hull/deck I could invision a series of additional leaks over time. Even with the protruding hull/deck joint the boat looked better without the rubrail, it definitely had to go.

With my wife's help, we power planed (extremely noisy) down and then ground smooth the protruding hull/deck joint while my oldest boy cut fiberglass mat. With all that extra help, I even had time to lay a layer of mat on half of one side before the weekend was over. :egrin: